• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

POLL: Do you care if a comic has been pressed?

Do you care if a comic has been pressed?  

1,227 members have voted

1. 1. Do you care if a comic has been pressed?

337 posts in this topic

Oh man not this topic again. Wasn't the last thread created about this, have like a 100 pages and start a bunch of fights or bad blood?

(Not meaning any ill intent to who started this thread, it would be interesting to see what the poll finds out, I just thought this topic has been well......pressed too much here lately)

Having just returned from Paris, I can tell you pressing is becoming more and more accepted in France. These stores are popping up everywhere.

It's a dark day my friends.

:jokealert:

80590.jpg.e6079d3560709529bd90bdf1564c6ae2.jpg

80591.jpg.8c04381763f9913fb5a8d36b5381b3b1.jpg

I beg to differ on this. Newsprint as cheap and crappy as books from the 60's and 70's has not been around long enough to know the long-term effects.

What are you basing this upon? All I'm doing is relaying what I've repeatedly read from professional conservationists. They regularly press paper documents of many types. The two active university-trained conservationists doing comic book restoration, Tracey Heft and Susan Cicconi, both certainly think pressing is safe--have you discovered something new? (shrug)

Just raising the possibility that, like every other scientific or pseudo-scientific (and I don't mean that as an insult) field, the experts don't already know everything, especially when not enough time has passed to study something longitudinally.

My point here is this-- for the most part, until recently, primarily GA books have been pressed. The paper quality on GA is tremendously better than BA books, which are, largely, being pressed in significantly quantities for the first time. Who the heck knows what will happen to such crappy paper 10-20 years down the road after being pressed. And don't try to compare comic paper to letter paper, book paper, or other higher grade pulps. There's a world of difference. I've yet to see Tracey, Matt, or Susan C. show anyone an academic study that says there are no long term effects on cheap or super-cheap newsprint.

And I don't mean that as an insult. I would honestly like to see that kind of research.

Good thoughts, a lot of people don`t realize how crappy the bronze age paper is, I found out the other day when I tried to read some bronze age Uncanny X-men, I couldn`t read it, I hurt my eyes trying to, I don`t have that problem with any other comic age stuff. I wonder if all those Incredible Hulk 181`s will deteriorate? :grin:

I beg to differ on this. Newsprint as cheap and crappy as books from the 60's and 70's has not been around long enough to know the long-term effects.

What are you basing this upon? All I'm doing is relaying what I've repeatedly read from professional conservationists. They regularly press paper documents of many types. The two active university-trained conservationists doing comic book restoration, Tracey Heft and Susan Cicconi, both certainly think pressing is safe--have you discovered something new? (shrug)

Just raising the possibility that, like every other scientific or pseudo-scientific (and I don't mean that as an insult) field, the experts don't already know everything, especially when not enough time has passed to study something longitudinally.

My point here is this-- for the most part, until recently, primarily GA books have been pressed. The paper quality on GA is tremendously better than BA books, which are, largely, being pressed in significantly quantities for the first time. Who the heck knows what will happen to such crappy paper 10-20 years down the road after being pressed. And don't try to compare comic paper to letter paper, book paper, or other higher grade pulps. There's a world of difference. I've yet to see Tracey, Matt, or Susan C. show anyone an academic study that says there are no long term effects on cheap or super-cheap newsprint.

And I don't mean that as an insult. I would honestly like to see that kind of research.

Good thoughts, a lot of people don`t realize how crappy the bronze age paper is, I found out the other day when I tried to read some bronze age Uncanny X-men, I couldn`t read it, I hurt my eyes trying to, I don`t have that problem with any other comic age stuff. I wonder if all those Incredible Hulk 181`s will deteriorate? :grin:

Yeah, I am sure they are turning to dust as we speak. I would suggest going out and buying all of the 5.0s and 6.0s you can find, as generally they have not been pressed and probably will be the highest graded copys left in 5 - 10 years when all those 9.6s and 9.8s are red powder.

In all seriousness, I am quite sure the books will still be around long after anyone on this board cares. Who knows if there will even be a comic collecting business in 75 years?

Yeah, I am sure they are turning to dust as we speak. I would suggest going out and buying all of the 5.0s and 6.0s you can find, as generally they have not been pressed and probably will be the highest graded copys left in 5 - 10 years when all those 9.6s and 9.8s are red powder.

In all seriousness, I am quite sure the books will still be around long after anyone on this board cares. Who knows if there will even be a comic collecting business in 75 years?

I think so, They are called museums.

hm Not a bad idea. I mean Lex Luther and myself have been buying up just the right property, so when we launch missles at the San Andreas fault and sink California in to the sea we will own all the new ocean front property.

Yes I would like to know if a comic has been pressed or not because we don't know the long term effects pressing has on comics.

You do realise a book is pressed and heated when it is printed. IIRC I still see some books for the 1930's in high grade slabs. Did not appear to have too negative of an effect on those books.

Books are also trimmed when they are printed. :devil:

Exactly....

OK, gloves off

This pressing thing is making me sick.....

Yes, I would like to know if a book has been pressed and as a collector, I would NEVER want to buy a book that has been pressed.

Make me think of the early ages of restoration and trimming, when a lot of people were restoring or trimming books because most people could not detect it. How many great books have been wasted because of that...

I remember many years ago that restoration was a big thing. Sending books to Susan Cicconi or Mark Wilson was supposed to increase value. Trimming books slightly was also supposed to be impossible to detect. I never did believe it and I am glad today I never did. For example, I knew Jason Ewert for years, bought a few books from him BEFORE he started that trimming thing but I did stop buying from him when he tried to sell me a book that I did suspect was trimmed and he didn't tell me. Trimming obviously did work well for him for a while and the honest seller he was at the beginning became the greedy and dishonest seller all people will now remember. This is sad. And the only reason it did work well is that CGC could not detect it....until they finally could and it was over.

Greed did push people to alter comic books and restore and/or trim them. I really think the same thing is happening again with pressing.

Yes, pressing, trimming, inking, etc. is all normal process WHEN the book is printed. Doing it after though alter the original condition of the book. Call it restoration, preservation, whatever, your book is no longer in its original condition.

I like to say that I do own books that are in their original 9.4-9.6 condition.

Therefore, my humble advise to any seller whom press books would be, AT THE VERY LEAST, disclose the fact when you are selling such a book.

I can understand that many sellers want to maximize their profit by pressing the books they have for sale. I disagree, but I understand. But I will NEVER buy from a seller whom does not disclose the fact that the book has been pressed, especially if he did it himself.

For those sellers whom press books AND disclose the fact, although I disagree, you have my respect.

Now, although, as a collector, I know I will never want to own a pressed book in my collection, as a seller, I am really tormented here.

I've sold raw 8.5 books that became CGC 9.6 after being pressed. Also, knowing that a book I did own for years sold for $24K after being pressed make me question myself : why should I not become a greedy seller as well ? I have the books for that. We all want to make money. I do too.

The only answer I found: I just can't and I don't know why...

Am I stupid for not pressing my books ? Maybe I am. Maybe not. Future will tell.

But knowing that other people are doing it really REALLY hurts. $24K is a lot of money !!

If you can't beat it, join it, they say.

I am still pondering this...

I wonder if the final printed comic book in the world will be worth anything in the future?

Probably will be a Spidey book with 500k variant covers, so no.

(thumbs u

Now imagine that. A book printed in which every cover is different for the print run lol.

Yes I would like to know if a comic has been pressed or not because we don't know the long term effects pressing has on comics.

You do realise a book is pressed and heated when it is printed. IIRC I still see some books for the 1930's in high grade slabs. Did not appear to have too negative of an effect on those books.

Exactly....

OK, gloves off

Yes, I would like to know if a book has been pressed and as a collector, I would NEVER want to buy a book that has been pressed.

Make me think of the early ages of restoration and trimming, when a lot of people were restoring or trimming books because most people could not detect it. How many great books have been wasted because of that...

I remember many years ago that restoration was a big thing. Sending books to Susan Cicconi or Mark Wilson was supposed to increase value. Trimming books slightly was also supposed to be impossible to detect. I never did believe it and I am glad today I never did. For example, I knew Jason Ewert for years, bought a few books from him BEFORE he started that trimming thing but I did stop buying from him when he tried to sell me a book that I did suspect was trimmed and he didn't tell me. Trimming obviously did work well for him for a while and the honest seller he was at the beginning became the greedy and dishonest seller all people will now remember. This is sad. And the only reason it did work well is that CGC could not detect it....until they finally could and it was over.

Greed did push people to alter comic books and restore and/or trim them. I really think the same thing is happening again with pressing.

Yes, pressing, trimming, inking, etc. is all normal process WHEN the book is printed. Doing it after though alter the original condition of the book. Call it restoration, preservation, whatever, your book is no longer in its original condition.

Therefore, my humble advise to any seller whom press books would be, AT THE VERY LEAST, disclose the fact when you are selling such a book.

I can understand that many sellers want to maximize their profit by pressing the books they have for sale. I disagree, but I understand. But I will NEVER buy from a seller whom does not disclose the fact that the book has been pressed, especially if he did it himself.

For those sellers whom press books AND disclose the fact, although I disagree, you have my respect.

Now, although, as a collector, I know I will never want to own a pressed book in my collection, as a seller, I am really tormented here.

I've sold raw 8.5 books that became CGC 9.6 after being pressed. Also, knowing that a book I did own for years sold for $24K after being pressed make me question myself : why should I not become a greedy seller as well ? I have the books for that. We all want to make money. I do too.

Am I stupid for not pressing my books ? Maybe I am. Maybe not. Future will tell.

But knowing that other people are doing it really REALLY hurts. $24K is a lot of money !!

Good post and no.

Exactly....

OK, gloves off

Thanks for sharing. (thumbs u

All I can say is don't change who you are. Don't become something you don't agree/believe in. Money changes people and most of the time, not for the better.

Once you sell something, it's gone, forget the what if, should have, could have scenario as it will give you ulcers.

As long as you made a little profit, who really cares?

I try to follow this logic and I am very content as a collector.

All I can say is don't change who you are. Don't become something you don't agree/believe in. Money changes people and most of the time, not for the better.

Once you sell something, it's gone, forget the what if, should have, could have scenario as it will give you ulcers.

As long as you made a little profit, who really cares?

I try to follow this logic and I am very content as a collector.

Quote of the day so far. ^^