• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CHEW, from Image Comics
1 1

6,765 posts in this topic

Good point. I was a completist buying all the printings until that Larry's book came out. I think it's still the only book that I don't have.....

I have two :whee:

A 9.9 and a 9.8 SS.

Hoarder ;)

:jokealert:

What you as the Chew collectors have to realize is that out of estimated 15,000+ Chew #1 books in multiple printings(not counting WD #63), there are less than 1,000 completists to your title. They are not interested in the Larry's variant to buy them out.

:sorry:

Good point. I was a completist buying all the printings until that Larry's book came out. I think it's still the only book that I don't have..... Well, that and the Larry's Art of Chew skectchbook. Now, I'm out as a Chew completist.

i donated a Larry's 9.8 for the next VCC auction- proceeds will go to the Hero Initiative.

being in the printing business now i understand that stated # of copies is usually correct, except for overpintings to make up for the spoiled copies that did not make it past QA or to have a buffer to protect from any other evens that could lead to the destruction of the original print run.

so yeah, 1k is probably close, but with overprinting, it probably came out to 1100 or 1200. larry may have received 1k, but there are additional copies out there that the printer would have made to make the order requirement in case of unforseen circumstances. a buyer would be stupid to not have some type of overprint on their title because that will take away from their profit potential.

Good point. I was a completist buying all the printings until that Larry's book came out. I think it's still the only book that I don't have.....

A 9.9 and a 9.8 SS.

Gav I love what you did with your Image Unite Cover :)

A 9.9 and a 9.8 SS.

Thanks Adonis :foryou:

It's not actually for me but for EvilAsh. I have a few more commissions to do on blank covers, I recently got back into art after 16 years out to do a sketch for the back of Junkenstein's book and am enjoying it again like you wouldn't believe!

A 9.9 and a 9.8 SS.

Thanks Adonis :foryou:

It's not actually for me but for EvilAsh. I have a few more commissions to do on blank covers, I recently got back into art after 16 years out to do a sketch for the back of Junkenstein's book and am enjoying it again like you wouldn't believe!

DSC091001.jpg

:cloud9:

I just checked ebay to see what Chew #1 9.8 is going for and I saw some completed listings of 137$, 150$, etc. (EDIT: Now that I look at it more it appears that those were flukes and the market is otherwise steady for them).

Anyone need a 9.8? haha

By the way, I picked up my Larry's edition right off his new release stand for cover price and there were multiple left sitting there. I should of grabbed a few! This was a couple weeks back.

Edited by TheDanimal

translation:

After the news of the arrival of a new publishing house, here comes the first title of Bao Publishing. This is Chew, Image comics by John Layman and Rob Guillory, who last November was the best selling book in the usual ranking of Diamond.

Here we report the full press release.

And if not yet enough you will find an exclusive preview for you!

CHEW - A detective novel flavor

The detection range of 2009 marks the debut of BAO Publishing on the scene italiana.Chew editorial, written by John Layman and Rob Guillory, is the series Image of the publisher who did fall in love with the United States. Each issue of the first story arc went out immediately, recording an extraordinary success that has forced the publisher to continue reprinting.

In mid-January of 2010, the story has entered the ranking of the best-selling graphic novel of The New York Times, the seventh posto.In a world marked by a terrible epidemic, the government has banned chicken, boasting avian influence, perhaps has never existed. Among the F line. D.Ä. (Food and Drug Administration) is the Detective Tony Chu, a staff member with a big secret: Tony Chu is a cibopatico. As such it may have psychic sensations from whatever you eat. This means putting the service of the police force for its power and be eating anything, sometimes even having to "taste" pieces of a corpse to find out who killed him!

Chew is an innovative crime-grotesque by the installation: a first reading affects the unusual concept, but the individual plots are resolved in volume by volume, pointing also to a conspiracy of fund that is the true backbone of the saga.

The writer, John Layman, told the New York Times that he had in mind a story that should be long about fifty-sixty registers per month (about a dozen volumes in Italy). He has already written the first thirty and the last ten. "I like to know how to finish the stories I write," he said. "I warned Rob [Guillory, the designer] that will happen when certain things will mean that we are, we are going to get to the end."

Best Series for 2009 independent IGN.com

2009 Best new series for MTV Splash Page

Fourth place in the ranking of the 100 best comics of 2009 for Comic Book Resources

"Who would have thought that a series about a detective who receives psychic sensations from anything you eat could be the most exciting book of 2009? John Layman and Rob Guillory have created a place that makes it so fun to see a return to reality a lot less appetizing "

- Comic Book Resources

"Chew is one of the most original and exciting comics I have read in many years."

- Ed Brubaker (writer of Captain America and Devil)

"Of all the times that John Layman made me vomit, this is my favorite. We feared that all had in Serbian history so funny and nauseating. Oh, and Rob Guillory will go to hell! "

- Matt Fraction (writer of X-Men and Iron-Man)

John Layman and Rob Guillory, along with all the staff BAO, meeting the public to preview CHEW Italian in Milan, during Cartoomics 2010 (FieraMilanoCity, 26 to 28 March 2010)

or...we could ask themightylayman nicely if he would divulge the answer to the question we all want to know....

when is the italian version going to print, and will you have copies to disburse? i myself would like to know, because, i, being a struggling writer would like to buy copies directly from one of the greatest writers in the world....IN THE WORLD! of course i am kiszing right now, but dammit! i like chew and i'm 5th in the registry and i'm not some flipper who wants to make cash off of the book (because the creators are the ones who should receive the bounty).

mini rant over.

now go buy my book to whoever hasn't bought it yet!

or...we could ask themightylayman nicely if he would divulge the answer to the question we all want to know....

when is the italian version going to print, and will you have copies to disburse? i myself would like to know, because, i, being a struggling writer would like to buy copies directly from one of the greatest writers in the world....IN THE WORLD! of course i am kiszing right now, but dammit! i like chew and i'm 5th in the registry and i'm not some flipper who wants to make cash off of the book (because the creators are the ones who should receive the bounty).

mini rant over.

+1

except I think I'm still 3rd in the registry ;)

mini rant over.

+1

except I think I'm still 3rd in the registry ;)

+2

Just a lonely 12th in the registery :cry: but I do have all books, except the 'art of `chew', in raw ;)