• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CHEW, from Image Comics
1 1

6,765 posts in this topic

What about that DC sampler that's considered the first appearance of Watchmen?

NOPE!

Then what would you consider their first appearance, as CGC doesn't denote Watchmen #1 as the first appearance?

http://www.cgccomics.com/gallery/details.aspx?comic=2964

Watchmen #1 - First Appearance of Rorschach, Ozymandias, Dr. Manhattan, Silk Spectre, Nite Owl. "Death" of Comedian.

Was Preacher's first appearance Preacher Preview or Absolute Vertigo?

That one's easy - Preacher Preview is the first appearance (it came out early 94). Absolute Vertigo didn't come out till late 95.

Edit: Even though the published date of the Absolute Vertigo is listed as winter 1995 everywhere, that can't be right (Preacher #1 came out in April 1995). I just checked the book, and it has a 95 copyright in the indicia, so I'm assuming that means 1st quarter 1995.

Edited by mschmidt

NOPE!

Then what would you consider their first appearance, as CGC doesn't denote Watchmen #1 as the first appearance?

http://www.cgccomics.com/gallery/details.aspx?comic=2964

Watchmen #1 - First Appearance of Rorschach, Ozymandias, Doctor Manhattan, Silk Spectre, Nite Owl. "Death" of Comedian.

I stand corrected!

I could have sworn I've seen Watchmen #1 slabs without that notation. hm

Thank you for the correction, though!

why wouldn't previews be considered first appearances if released prior to the series?

In the writing world, no matter what, when or how, the first time any part of a story is published (even in blogs) it is considered the first print. Any subsquent releases are to be denoted as 2nd and after in the indicia.

If any story is released to the general public it is considered 1st print, if even a preview is published, why would that not be a 1st appearance? Granted it will not be the 1st full appearance, but still the first appearance.

j

NOPE!

my buddy just recieved this a few days ago in the mail 1985 DC SPOTLIGHT

it says 1st app of the watchmen in the label from cgc

NOPE!

my buddy just recieved this a few days ago in the mail 1985 DC SPOTLIGHT

it says 1st app of the watchmen in the label from cgc

Well, then CGC is wrong. Previews and ads in earlier issues have never been accepted as true first appearances in this hobby. They may carry a little extra value because of the ad, but they will never be considered true firsts.

The cover of Action Comics #1 was featured in a couple of books months before the actual issue came out. Are they the first appearance of Superman? Nope.

Edited by Solar

I couldnt agree w/ you more. I used the leverage of DC spotlight when I was getting them to label all of my avatar ill sum 98 copys. I said why would you do it for DC Spotlight and not this.. DC Spotlight was a free comic to boot

Neither. It's Preacher #1

Not a chance - the Preacher Preview was exactly that, a preview of Preacher #1 (which wasn't released until a year later) and it has the 1st appearances of the main characters.

Just because it wasn't 32 pages long doesn't mean it's not the 1st appearance.

Ah, but isn't that the same argument for counting WD #61 as Chew's 1st appearance? Or a first appearance designation for Avatar Illustrated '98? Some of the crowd here seems very opposed to that stance.

Not arguing against you, mind you, as I actually agree with you.

Ah, but isn't that the same argument for counting WD #61 as Chew's 1st appearance? Or a first appearance designation for Avatar Illustrated '98? Some of the crowd here seems very opposed to that stance.

Imho, the difference here is that the Preacher Preview is a separate book, released on its own - it wasn't just an insert (or an ad) in another book.

I thought it was Preacher Preview, but there's no notation on my 9.8 meh

A lot of times somebody has to inform CGC of these things :baiting:

you are so very right... sometimes they even label the book wrong all together.. nobodys perfect!

Neither. It's Preacher #1

Not a chance - the Preacher Preview was exactly that, a preview of Preacher #1 (which wasn't released until a year later) and it has the 1st appearances of the main characters.

Just because it wasn't 32 pages long doesn't mean it's not the 1st appearance.

meh, a preview is just an ad like any other. It's promotional material designed to get a customer to buy the full retail version. There's no difference between the Preacher Preview and the Walking Dead/Chew situation. I can see where it has value and significance as a novelty or memorabilia, but it's not part of the Preacher run and it's not a first appearance.

There are countless examples from the golden age up of characters debuting in advertisments, posters, preview inserts, ashcans, magazines, etc. and none of them are regarded as legit first appearances.

I have several NM copies up for sale, so if anyone is interested, hit me up with a pm (thumbs u

Welcome back PROBATION LIST scammer, how are you? meh

well, I dont know what he did in the past and I didnt ck to see if he was on the list. I bought a Chew #1 From him and it arrived today. It's actually a real nice copy and will be sent to CGC. I'm not sure if that will help or redeem his name but I am a happy camper from the deal we made this past week...

:o

so this guy is on the probie list and is still selling books. what a .

:sumo:

j

Okay, let's clear some stuff up.

First off, I didn't scam anyone. As Pirate can easily tell anyone, all I did was back out of a deal for my own personal reasons, and he can't seem to let that go. And if he's referring to my attempt to bury the hatchet by having him witness a signing, he blew up when I asked him if he'd take payment after the books had been signed (For the record, I've had several books witnessed by multiple witnesses, all of which accepted payment afterwards. I'd rather pay after I know the book is signed, that way nobody has to worry about sending money if the book doesn't get signed.)

Second, I didn't sell anything on the moderns boards. If you look at my posts, all I said was that I had several copies available, and seeing as how this thread is devoted to the comic, I figured these guys could use the copies the most.

Last but not least, as you have already heard from bcruze, he received his book, and to quote him, wrote "kudos to the following guys for great books and super fast shipping and well packaged books ThatOneGuy" So I would think this would clear up some confusion about the whole "scammer" thing, don't you think?

Imho, the difference here is that the Preacher Preview is a separate book, released on its own - it wasn't just an insert (or an ad) in another book.

I agree with Michael. This is a rare case where they made a seperate book from the series, which is quite different than the WD 61/Chew 1 ad.

I would definitely say Preview is the first appearance because of it being a seperate book. Not just because I own one in HG either.