• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Auctions
2 2

603 posts in this topic

Do away with that rule, and you would likely see very little difference in the marketplace listings. (thumbs u )

On this, Mike, we will forever differ. This is not, nor should it ever be, a venue for anyone other than contributing community members to buy, sell and trade.

If I want books from any of the 'big boys', I know where I can find them. The same cannot be said about Andy, or Nik, or Greggy.

There is no legitimate reason to sacrifice one single inch of real estate to Metro, SNE, Harley or anyone else, at the obvious expense of the guys who make this place what it is. One more dealer on the front page of this section is one less boarder on the front page and that, IMHO, can never be justified. (thumbs u

Do away with that rule, and you would likely see very little difference in the marketplace listings. (thumbs u )

On this, Mike, we will forever differ. This is not, nor should it ever be, a venue for anyone other than contributing community members to buy, sell and trade.

If I want books from any of the 'big boys', I know where I can find them. The same cannot be said about Andy, or Nik, or Greggy.

There is no legitimate reason to sacrifice one single inch of real estate to Metro, SNE, Harley or anyone else, at the obvious expense of the guys who make this place what it is. One more dealer on the front page of this section is one less boarder on the front page and that, IMHO, can never be justified. (thumbs u

(thumbs u

Great...now we just have to figure out who those contributing community members are! lol

Until then, we'll continue to let the future probatees, fly-by-nighters, and alleybats of the hobby come and go here as they please because anyone can sign up here today, and scam you tonight. I don't think we'd have that problem with Harley or Bob Storms, but there might be too much quality stuff to choose from. :(

Nothing precludes SNE from listing here since they don't have a website and don't list books anywhere but ebay, yet, they've never offered us any of the great books they offer on ebay. Why's that? I'll tell you why...it doesn't fit their business model, it takes too much time, and it's not worth it to them, which is why we'll never see them run auctions here either. (shrug)

Great...now we just have to figure out who those contributing community members are! lol

Until then, we'll continue to let the future probatees, fly-by-nighters, and alleybats of the hobby come and go here as they please because anyone can sign up here today, and scam you tonight. I don't think we'd have that problem with Harley or Bob Storms, but there might be too much quality stuff to choose from. :(

Nothing precludes SNE from listing here since they don't have a website and don't list books anywhere but ebay, yet, they've never offered us any of the great books they offer on ebay. Why's that? I'll tell you why...it doesn't fit their business model, it takes too much time, and it's not worth it to them, which is why we'll never see them run auctions here either. (shrug)

So...no need to change the rules then. (thumbs u

(shrug) Doesn't Metro contribute?

I don't think we'd have that problem with Harley or Bob Storms, but there might be too much quality stuff to choose from. :(

Do you think that Bob's and Harley's pricing structure will fit in around here?

Do you honestly believe when either of them get in this 'quality stuff' that the first place they will go will be the CGC Marketplace, where they'll have to take chunks off Guide?

The only thing that Bob or Harley would ever be likely to list would be stuff that has not sold at shows and their sites for a dog's age.

And seriously, Mike, answer one single question. Why should any boarder here give up any space at all to a dealer who already has so many avenues to sell through?

So...no need to change the rules then. (thumbs u

To address the auction format? No...

To vette newcomers? Yes...

To revisit the idea sub-dividing the marketplace (Gold/Silver/Bronze/Copper+) due to the increased popularity of this forum? Yes...

Why not ask Arch for a separate auction section? I'm sure the demand is there.

No. We're back with the ancient argument that this 'members only' section should be opened up to any dealer who wants to throw stuff at us in standard BIN listings.

Even though they've already got their own section. doh!

Yeah...they've pimped themselves and their goods in many, many inventive ways for a long, long time. (thumbs u

The only thing that Bob or Harley would ever be likely to list would be stuff that has not sold at shows and their sites for a dog's age.

They don't need to list anything here because they already have want-lists for everybody!

Mind your Ps and Qs, Richard. You will get another PM.

Any dealer is welcome to post in the Selling Forum as long as the items are offered to forum members only and not list for sale simultaneously on another web site.

That being said, I have seen some dealers list amazing books here that have not sold and I wonder why.

No. We're back with the ancient argument that this 'members only' section should be opened up to any dealer who wants to throw stuff at us in standard BIN listings.

I'm not back to that argument at all, my comments were really only concerning the fear that we're about to be deluged with "profit mongering auctioneers" - the same practical considerations that keep SNE from using this forum to auction their wares also keep Doug Sulipa from posting books for sale here, even though both have always been able to do so under the current "guidelines". (thumbs u

That being said, I have seen some dealers list amazing books here that have not sold and I wonder why.

Could it be because they are listed by a dealer, and thus have a perception of being offered elsewhere first? The "stink" of dealer stock...so to speak.

Edited by MrBedrock

Could it be because they are listed by a dealer, and thus have a perception of being offered elsewhere first? The "stink" of dealer stock...so to speak.

No, that can't be it.

I think it's more like the thought of huge billboards and traffic jams ...if everyone posted the way you did, I'd lose my bigdealeraphobia;)

No, that can't be it.

Well I sure can't explain it. I have sold many books to board members, but always through PMs. Whenever I have listed stuff in the forum selling section it has been the kiss of death. West Texas tumbleweeds blow through my selling threads.

Except for that $25 9.6 Lois Lane issue. That was sweet.

I think it's more like the thought of huge billboards and traffic jams ...if everyone posted the way you did, I'd lose my bigdealeraphobia;)

Yes, but Richard isn't your conventional dealer. He's personable.

No, that can't be it.

It's not for me anyway. I've seen some nice books offered there that simply aren't priority or in the budget at the given moment. And I have been tipped off to ebay auctions I might've missed otherwise.