• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Auctions
2 2

603 posts in this topic

• Administrator

All good points, but in your auction scenario, who determines whether a BIN is "fair" or not? The FMV for any given book is not readily agreed upon, and thus the guideline would be effectively unenforceable, i.e., the seller's set BIN could always exceed FMV :)

Thought about that, but that's true today as well with just regular for sale posts. (shrug)

My current auction meets the tenor and intent of Architecht's weigh-in on auction formatting...the only thing I didn't do is offer a BIN Price

Yeah, and I'm black...

except for my skin color of course.. doh!

Well then, people need to stop trying to reinvent the wheel.

Exactly. We have a system that works, and is very popular, yet some doofuses keep trying to screw with it.

Thought about that, but that's true today as well with just regular for sale posts. (shrug)

But at least then all the auctioning and offers/counter offers have to happen in PMs or email, and no one else has to slog through it.

If you allow auctions, knobs are going to put insane BINs on common books, just to match the guidelines, then auction them off like EBay. A $500 BIN on a VG Bronze Age book - auction starts at 99-cents - how is that different from a non-BIN auction?

You might as well just toss out all the rules and let it be a free-for-all, as that's what it will be anyway.

Exactly. We have a system that works, and is very popular, yet some doofuses keep trying to screw with it.

You remind me of the governmental agencies (read...bureaucrats) that I have to contend with that resist change for change sake... :frustrated:

Better yet, I think we should get rid of fashion and all wear Mao-cloaks... :sumo:

Edited by trmoore54

You remind me of the governmental agencies (read...bureaucrats) that I have to contend with that resist change for change sake... :frustrated:

Hey, even Arch has stated he's against auctions, and the original guidelines were set up that way, so why are you yammering at me?

If you want to auction stuff off, there are lots of sites that offer that specific functionality. These forums do not inherently support auctions, and are much better suited to a basic BIN format.

That's reality, and to dispute that is to admit you have no brain stem.

Better yet, I think we should get rid of fashion and all wear Mao-cloaks... :sumo:

Or greggy parkas. hm

Hey, even Arch has stated he's against auctions, and the original guidelines were set up that way, so why are you yammering at me?

If you want to auction stuff off, there are lots of sites that offer that specific functionality. These forums do not inherently support auctions, and are much better suited to a basic BIN format.

As I stated prior, I did it to have FUN...and hopefully FUN for the participants. For what it's worth, I have no intention of doing this very often. Actually, as well, this was somewhat of a reaction to getting no bids on it with a fixed Ask Price. So I thought, what-the-hell, it'd be fun to run it auction-style with a starting price of 12-cents (original purchase price)... doh!

Now, let me go look around for that brain-stem... (:

You might as well just toss out all the rules and let it be a free-for-all, as that's what it will be anyway.

I say LET'S DO IT!

I mean, if J.C. doesn't like it, it can't be a bad idea. (thumbs u

Actually, as well, this was somewhat of a reaction to getting no bids on it with a fixed Ask Price. So I thought, what-the-hell, it'd be fun to run it auction-style with a starting price of 12-cents (original purchase price)... doh!

Good point, and that is one of the benefits of the auction format that Nick pointed out as well. It looks like you're getting some positive feedback on it, so kudos for giving it a shot! (thumbs u

Yep, but that's what low-ball offers are for! lol

You can use the same sales format that is used now except eliminate the :takeit: as the end of the sale. In other words I list my books for sale as an auction format with a designated end time. I list each book with my prices as is done now, except that if someone else wants to offer more for the book before the end time of the auction they can do so. I know many times I have seen books I would have offered more for because I really wanted it but I was to late because someone else had already posted the :takeit:. The seller may get more for his books and some people who maybe aren't here at the time will have an equal chance to buy the book although for more money than the seller originally listed it for. Thats just an idea I had. Seems like it would be much simpler to run that way and not have to worry about shill bidding and the like. Just a thought. (shrug)

Or greggy parkas. hm
I was informed that its a fleece jacket not a parka. Continued references to it being a parka will result in increasingly strange PM's. :eek:

Not sure if you read the whole discussion, but I believe my current auction represents a bona-fide/viable model, not that there might be others like divad's going once, going twice, sold scenario...

I'm speaking to a one-book sale but it would work the same for a bulk/group lot...

My method:

Basics such as scan/grade/detailed information/description of the book(s) a given.

1. Post a book with a starting price of at least $0.01 that you are willing to sell the book for.

2. Establish an end-time, be sure and list time zone...be it 24 hours, 1 week or whatever. (I propose the max length to be 1 week.)

3. All bids must be posts for ALL to see, recorded in real-time. NO PMs!

4. As it is, exact information re. shipping costs or payment method must be given.

5. Optional (I have not offered this in my auction): List a Buy-It-Now price.

6. Page 1 bumps. This is perhaps the stickiest issue...a maximum of 3 bumps as is the current rule. I would profer 1 bump per 24 hrs...to be agreed upon.

Pretty simple, eh? (shrug)

Edited by trmoore54

Not sure if you read the whole discussion, but I believe my current auction represents a bona-fide/viable model, not that there might be others like divad's going once, going twice, sold scenario...

I'm speaking to a one-book sale but it would work the same for a bulk/group lot...

My method:

Basics such as scan/grade/detailed information/description of the book(s) a given.

1. Post a book with a starting price of at least $0.01 that you are willing to sell the book for.

2. Establish an end-time, be sure and list time zone...be it 24 hours, 1 week or whatever. (I propose the max length to be 1 week.)

3. All bids must be posts for ALL to see, recorded in real-time. NO PMs!

4. As it is, exact information re. shipping costs or payment method must be given.

5. Optional (I have not offered this in my auction): List a Buy-It-Now price.

Pretty simple, eh? (shrug)

(thumbs u

I'd make the BIN price compulsory, to abide by the board rules.

I'd also state the minimum increment for each item eg 50 cents, $5, etc

Are you incapable of arguing your point without insulting people. (shrug) This is why when you do make a good point, it is sometimes ignored and it's also why you seem to think everyone has got it in for you. You just pizz people of needlessly. If you try arguing your points without the stupid sarcy comments, you may accomplish more.

Are you incapable of arguing your point without insulting people. (shrug) This is why when you do make a good point, it is sometimes ignored and it's also why you seem to think everyone has got it in for you. You just pizz people of needlessly. If you try arguing your points without the stupid sarcy comments, you may accomplish more.

:banana: brain stems are for wieners anyway :banana:

While I'm happy for there to be auctions, I think that most people will agree that the selling forum can't support more than an odd test case which means if the idea takes off, a seperate forum will be required. If this happens, I think a minimum post count for auctioneers to use the forum would definitely be required to discourage people joining up just to do free auctions.

:banana: brain stems are for wieners anyway :banana:

I'm proud of my brain stem. :sumo:

While I'm happy for there to be auctions, I think that most people will agree that the selling forum can't support more than an odd test case which means if the idea takes off, a seperate forum will be required. If this happens, I think a minimum post count for auctioneers to use the forum would definitely be required to discourage people joining up just to do free auctions.

Agreed on all counts. (thumbs u