• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Auctions
2 2

603 posts in this topic

All good points, but in your auction scenario, who determines whether a BIN is "fair" or not? The FMV for any given book is not readily agreed upon, and thus the guideline would be effectively unenforceable, i.e., the seller's set BIN could always exceed FMV.

Yeah, that format doesn't seem like much of an auction when you have a reserve (BIN), you might as well pull a FFB and put it out there with a mongo price tag but note you're "taking offers".

A true auction is best (either using the new-once-twice-sold format, or the set-your-snipe/fixed end time format), but I suppose to avoid the threat of shilling the seller would have to require that bids be posted directly in the thread.

Agreed - posting of bids in the thread has to be mandatory. (Which, btw, I did require in yesterday's format.) They would otherwise be unauditable - similar to a Heritage auction (silent bidders).

Agreed - posting of bids in the thread has to be mandatory. (Which, btw, I did require in yesterday's format.) They would otherwise be unauditable - similar to a Heritage auction (silent bidders).

I suppose accepting "bids" in the thread is fine, but that was not what you did yesterday. You simply posted a book for sale and solicited offers, which is against board rules since you did not list a price you were willing to sell the book for. That was not an auction. (tsk)

Actually, now that I think of it, it was strange day all-around on your end...you brazenly broke the rules, and then sold the book to someone on your own probation thread? :screwy:

I suppose accepting "bids" in the thread is fine, but that was not what you did yesterday. You simply posted a book for sale and solicited offers, which is against board rules since you did not list a price you were willing to sell the book for. That was not an auction. (tsk)

Actually, now that I think of it, it was strange day all-around on your end...you brazenly broke the rules, and then sold the book to someone on your own probation thread? :screwy:

(worship)

Divad must be drinking again. doh!

I wouldn't say he brazenly broke the rules. We discussed all day about someone running a test auction and he did. Breaking the forum guidelines in the process, yes, but done intentionally to test the auction process as opposed to brazenly.

What he didn't do was give a firm ending time to the auction and of course the whole 'when a price I agree to is reached' thing was silly and did make it a non-auction and not much of a test.

But he tried I think.

He didn't try anything constructive john.

edit: because there was nothing firm in the post regarding time or price so it was not an actual auctionn.

R.

Edited by r1970d

I wouldn't say he brazenly broke the rules. We discussed all day about someone running a test auction and he did. Breaking the forum guidelines in the process, yes, but done intentionally to test the auction process as opposed to brazenly.

What he didn't do was give a firm ending time to the auction and of course the whole 'when a price I agree to is reached' thing was silly and did make it a non-auction and not much of a test.

But he tried I think.

I was under the impression that the "testing" part was to be done in the VCC section. (shrug)

Andy

My current auction meets the tenor and intent of Architecht's weigh-in on auction formatting...the only thing I didn't do is offer a BIN Price (which I may add)...but I do have a firm end time and I did state that all bids must be posted (no PMs)...

:applause:

edit: because there was nothing firm in the post regarding time or price so it was not an actual auctionn.

R.

I agree, it was not a true auction.

As to his intentions......I guess only he knows. And the Shadow.

And I think TTTIIIIIMMMMMMAAAAAYYYYYY knows everything.

My current auction meets the tenor and intent of Architecht's weigh-in on auction formatting...the only thing I didn't do is offer a BIN Price (which I may add)...but I do have a firm end time and I did state that all bids must be posted (no PMs)...

:applause:

You are correct and well done.

R.

I'm lost here - what authority states that an "auction" must have an end time? hm Auctions end when the hammer strikes three times.

:( I wish we didn't have discussions like these all the time.

Don't participate then. It works for me.

I haven't really taken part in this one. Or the last bit of numbskullery, the topic of which I blissfully forget at the moment. But I like to keep abreast of what's going on so I feel compelled to read them.

(shrug)