• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Auctions
2 2

603 posts in this topic

• Administrator

I'd like to hear from more people on this. How would it work? A single auction forum, or a separate one for each age? Would people be allowed only one book per thread or be forced to group them up? Would people get to run more than one auction at once?

I'm still not 100% sold on the whole auction idea here (for several reasons), but let's set that aside for the moment...since they are here, I certainly think a separate forum is needed...

I'd like to hear from more people on this. How would it work? A single auction forum, or a separate one for each age?

Single auction forum. Separate fora by age seems like it's slicing the onion a little to thinly, especially since I don't think auctions will become overly prominent in the whole scheme of things. Even at places like eBay, auctions are losing popularity in favor of stated price sales...there are articles about it from time to time out there in the press. If I'm wrong, you can always split up the single auction forum into age-specific auction fora later...no reason to begin with the most granular approach.

Would people be allowed only one book per thread or be forced to group them up? Would people get to run more than one auction at once?

I like one biddable item per thread (book, group of books, etc.)...certainly no more than a few...with the technological limitations here, any more seems like the thread would be too annoying to parse through as a buyer to determine what the last bid was on the item I'm interested in, etc. I also like putting a limitation on the number of concurrent threads per person...one seems too restrictive (given my one-item answer above), but more than, say, 5 seems too many...otherwise, we'll be looking at dozens of simultaneous harvdoss auctions in no time :D . So, max. 5 concurrent auction threads per boardie.

As others have mentioned throughout this here thread, there will also be the need to establish rules of engagement...that's an entirely different discussion...

2c

I'd like to hear from more people on this.

How would it work?

A single auction forum [font:Book Antiqua](yes), [/font]

or a separate one for each age? [font:Book Antiqua] (No)

[/font]Would people be allowed only one book per thread[font:Book Antiqua] (yes)

[/font]or be forced to group them up? [font:Book Antiqua] (No)

[/font]Would people get to run more than one auction at once?[font:Book Antiqua] (No)

[/font]

[font:Book Antiqua]My [/font] 2c

I'd like to hear from more people on this. How would it work? A single auction forum, or a separate one for each age? Would people be allowed only one book per thread or be forced to group them up? Would people get to run more than one auction at once?

I think a separate forum for auctions would be good simply because the format is conducive for thread bumps, which pushes regular for sale listings off the front page quickly.

A single forum would probably suffice until a point there are so many it may be better to break them down into other forums based on age.

A limit of one lot per thread and one or two threads at a time to keep things fair to other users. Too many lots in a thread will mean more bids (more thread bumps). Too many listings at once will take up too much front page space.

I think they should be required to be no reserve and there should be a required BIN for the duration of the listing.

Maybe a maximum duration of only three to five days.

Edited by MCMiles

I think a separate forum for auctions would be good simply because the format is conducive for thread bumps, which pushes regular for sale listings off the front page quickly.

A single forum would probably suffice until a point there are so many it may be better to break them down into other forums based on age.

A limit of one lot per thread and one or two threads at a time to keep things fair to other users. Too many lots in a thread will mean more bids (more thread bumps). Too many listings at once will take up to much front page space.

I think they should be required to be no reserve and there should be a required BIN for the duration of the listing.

+1 I agree with these comments. The current thread bumping via bids is terrible. Some rules about max duration and BIN needs to be implemented immediately. It's honestly getting out of hand.

Another problem: sellers are using the auction format to dump a bunch of dreg in a lot. I feel this site should be a step above, if you want to sell dreg, use E-Bay. Perhaps only CGC items should be allowed for auction ?

I disagree with it having to be CGC items only. Just like the regular threads, there is a lot of good raw books offered (as well as a bunch of junk)

Also, one reason I said there should be a limit is hopefully. sellers would want to make lots worth while and not use up their own allotted space for junk. There could also be a limit or rule against bumping your own thread until the last three hours or something.

That way junk listings will quickly get pushed down if they are not receiving bids.

It looks like there will be a presence of auctions though, and as long as there is a BIN they really fit with in all of the current rules so there may as well be a separate forum for them.

How would it work?

[/font]Would people be allowed only one book per thread[font:Book Antiqua] (yes)

[/font]Would people get to run more than one auction at once?[font:Book Antiqua] (No)

[/font]

Agreed, except I don't see why folks can't have more than one auction at a time. Say, three at a time max?

How would it work?

[/font]

Agreed, except I don't see why folks can't have more than one auction at a time. Say, three at a time max?

Mostly though, I find them annoying so putting them in their own forum is key. :)

As others have mentioned throughout this here thread, there will also be the need to establish rules of engagement...that's an entirely different discussion...

Some "rules" thoughts:

- minimum 48 hour duration and maximum one week duration;

- no reserves (if you decide to do an auction here, you need to bear the associated risk); you complete the sale at the max bid, whatever that is, else you go on the PL; if there's some minimum price you must have on a book, don't do an auction...do a regular sales thread

- no BIN is necessary...if we have a separate area and rules for auctions, why be so concerned that they fit within the other rules? Anyway, most BINs are unrealistically high. just put there to comply with the unwritten rule that you have to have one; i.e., if you want to do a BIN, fine, but it's not mandatory

- of course, all bids must be publicly posted in the thread itself

- once you start an auction (along with a specified ending day/time), you cannot close it down prematurely, even if there are no bids (I've already seen this happen out there)

- since we'll have to use the forum clock as the end timer, we need to define what the ending time means...for example, if someone says the ending time is 9:00pm EST, does that mean 9:00:00, or 9:00:59 (i.e., just before the clock strikes 9:01)...I've seen it done both ways out there...

Also, we'll have to think about whether/how to address suspected shilling

A limit of one lot per thread and one or two threads at a time to keep things fair to other users. Too many lots in a thread will mean more bids (more thread bumps). Too many listings at once will take up to much front page space.

+1 I agree with these comments. The current thread bumping via bids is terrible. Some rules about max duration and BIN needs to be implemented immediately. It's honestly getting out of hand.

Another problem: sellers are using the auction format to dump a bunch of dreg in a lot. I feel this site should be a step above, if you want to sell dreg, use E-Bay.

[font:Book Antiqua]Perhaps only CGC items should be allowed for auction ?[/font]

[font:Book Antiqua]I like this..![/font]

:idea: (thumbs u

- since we'll have to use the forum clock as the end timer, we need to define what the ending time means...for example, if someone says the ending time is 9:00pm EST, does that mean 9:00:00 8:59:59, or 9:00:59 (i.e., just before the clock strikes 9:01)...I've seen it done both ways out there...

hm fixed

You can't distinguish between the two times you showed, an auction that ends at 9:00 should be "won" by the last person to post BEFORE 9:00? ie - 8:59:59

Edited by bababooey

- since we'll have to use the forum clock as the end timer, we need to define what the ending time means...for example, if someone says the ending time is 9:00pm EST, does that mean 9:00:00 8:59:59, or 9:00:59 (i.e., just before the clock strikes 9:01)...I've seen it done both ways out there...

hm fixed

You can't distinguish between the two times you showed, an auction that ends at 9:00 be "won" by the last person to post BEFORE 9:00? ie - 8:59:59

No sir, I had the example written the way I intended, and you make the point I was trying to make...it needs to be a rule. If an auction ends at 9:00pm and we go back and look at the following time stamps after the fact, who wins?:

Boardie A $12 8:59pm

Boardie B $13 9:00pm

Boardie C $14 9:00pm

Boardie D $15 9:01pm

It's clear that Boardie D was too late, but who wins among A, B, and C? You would say, well A obviously, but it's not obvious in the absence of a rule. I've seen sellers pick Boardie C, because it was still at 9:00... ;)

Some "rules" thoughts:

- no reserves (if you decide to do an auction here, you need to bear the associated risk); you complete the sale at the max bid, whatever that is, else you go on the PL; if there's some minimum price you must have on a book, don't do an auction...do a regular sales thread

- no BIN is necessary...if we have a separate area and rules for auctions, why be so concerned that they fit within the other rules? Anyway, most BINs are unrealistically high. just put there to comply with the unwritten rule that you have to have one; i.e., if you want to do a BIN, fine, but it's not mandatory

- once you start an auction (along with a specified ending day/time), you cannot close it down prematurely, even if there are no bids (I've already seen this happen out there)

- since we'll have to use the forum clock as the end timer, we need to define what the ending time means...for example, if someone says the ending time is 9:00pm EST, does that mean 9:00:00, or 9:00:59 (i.e., just before the clock strikes 9:01)...I've seen it done both ways out there...

True concerning the BIN. Really isn't important in an auction only forum.

Really agree about no reserves, all bids public, and no shutting it down early.

Would people get to run more than one auction at once?

Generally I am very much in favour of making a separate area for auctions.

IMO to allow more than one at the same time would be a catastrophe, it would overwhelm the system, within a day you would have to scroll through a 100 pages to see what is "new". For the people who want to run auctions it would bury any given auction underneath an avalanche, and thus be self defeating.

My 2c is that it is crucial that we have a consensus that each member can only run one auction at a time.

Some "rules" thoughts:

A minimum 48-hours is crazy sauce though. If someone wants to run a 1hr auction, more power to them.

Opening bid should be no more than $1

Some "rules" thoughts:

+1, and thanks Ed for the summary. (thumbs u

hm fixed

You can't distinguish between the two times you showed, an auction that ends at 9:00 be "won" by the last person to post BEFORE 9:00? ie - 8:59:59

No sir, I had the example written the way I intended, and you make the point I was trying to make...it needs to be a rule. If an auction ends at 9:00pm and we go back and look at the following time stamps after the fact, who wins?:

Boardie A $12 8:59pm

Boardie B $13 9:00pm

Boardie C $14 9:00pm

Boardie D $15 9:01pm

It's clear that Boardie D was too late, but who wins among A, B, and C? You would say, well A obviously, but it's not obvious in the absence of a rule. I've seen sellers pick Boardie C, because it was still at 9:00... ;)

It would avoid potential headaches to make A the rule. (thumbs u