• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Auctions
2 2

603 posts in this topic

- since we'll have to use the forum clock as the end timer, we need to define what the ending time means...for example, if someone says the ending time is 9:00pm EST, does that mean 9:00:00 8:59:59, or 9:00:59 (i.e., just before the clock strikes 9:01)...I've seen it done both ways out there...

hm fixed

You can't distinguish between the two times you showed, an auction that ends at 9:00 be "won" by the last person to post BEFORE 9:00? ie - 8:59:59

No sir, I had the example written the way I intended, and you make the point I was trying to make...it needs to be a rule. If an auction ends at 9:00pm and we go back and look at the following time stamps after the fact, who wins?:

Boardie A $12 8:59pm

Boardie B $13 9:00pm

Boardie C $14 9:00pm

Boardie D $15 9:01pm

It's clear that Boardie D was too late, but who wins among A, B, and C? You would say, well A obviously, but it's not obvious in the absence of a rule. I've seen sellers pick Boardie C, because it was still at 9:00... ;)

Boardie C if it was my auction.

No Reserve Auctions

BIN is immediately taken down after first bid.

1 book/lot per thread/auction.

3-5 day auction is great.

Payment due within 48 hours of auction ending.

Once First Bid posted, can not be removed

- since we'll have to use the forum clock as the end timer, we need to define what the ending time means...for example, if someone says the ending time is 9:00pm EST, does that mean 9:00:00 8:59:59, or 9:00:59 (i.e., just before the clock strikes 9:01)...I've seen it done both ways out there...

hm fixed

You can't distinguish between the two times you showed, an auction that ends at 9:00 be "won" by the last person to post BEFORE 9:00? ie - 8:59:59

No sir, I had the example written the way I intended, and you make the point I was trying to make...it needs to be a rule. If an auction ends at 9:00pm and we go back and look at the following time stamps after the fact, who wins?:

Boardie A $12 8:59pm

Boardie B $13 9:00pm

Boardie C $14 9:00pm

Boardie D $15 9:01pm

It's clear that Boardie D was too late, but who wins among A, B, and C? You would say, well A obviously, but it's not obvious in the absence of a rule. I've seen sellers pick Boardie C, because it was still at 9:00... ;)

I think we're expressing the same concern for clarity on auction end times but in your example, the winner is either A or C - even though B might have posted at the exact second of @ 9:00:00 there is no way B is the winner when using a full minute clock - if there's an argument that B wins then I'd like to hear it.

A "perfectly timed 9:00:00" bid is indistinguishable from any other time from 9:00:01 to 9:00:59....so the last bid prior to the hammer (ie-8:59;59) should win OR the last bid prior to 9:01 (with 9:00 time stamp) should win.

We just need verbiage for clarity - auction ends at 9:00 should mean 8:59:59 wins to me - if someone says last 9:00 time stamp wins then that's an auction that ends at 9:01.

:D

Would people get to run more than one auction at once?

Generally I am very much in favour of making a separate area for auctions.

IMO to allow more than one at the same time would be a catastrophe, it would overwhelm the system, within a day you would have to scroll through a 100 pages to see what is "new". For the people who want to run auctions it would bury any given auction underneath an avalanche, and thus be self defeating.

My 2c is that it is crucial that we have a consensus that each member can only run one auction at a time.

I completely agree with this.

IMO to allow more than one at the same time would be a catastrophe, it would overwhelm the system, within a day you would have to scroll through a 100 pages to see what is "new". For the people who want to run auctions it would bury any given auction underneath an avalanche, and thus be self defeating.

My 2c is that it is crucial that we have a consensus that each member can only run one auction at a time.

I dunno about that. If I want to sell ten comics, and I for some reason want them to be auctions, it's gonna take me like 20 days to sell them, assuming my auctions only run for two days. Why not allow two or three auctions to run concurrently?

I dunno about that. If I want to sell ten comics, and I for some reason want them to be auctions, it's gonna take me like 20 days to sell them, assuming my auctions only run for two days. Why not allow two or three auctions to run concurrently?

I understand that limiting each member to running them one at a time sequentially seems extreme, but even with 2 or three allowed at a time, you have to multiply that by the number of members wanting to run auctions. My opinion is based on the assumption that auctions will continue to grow in use and the number of members using auctions will continue to grow.

And it should be considered also that one does not have to run an auction to sell books, the normal sales area is very successful as is for selling books. 2c

[font:Book Antiqua]Because someone will abuse the system

posting as many books (At the same time) as the rules allow...

[/font]

2c

I understand that limiting each member to running them one at a time sequentially seems extreme, but even with 2 or three allowed at a time, you have to multiply that by the number of members wanting to run auctions. My opinion is based on the assumption that auctions will continue to grow in use and the number of members using auctions will continue to grow.

And it should be considered also that one does not have to run an auction to sell books, the normal sales area is very successful as is for selling books. 2c

I think it could be possible for a person to run as many auctions as they like - within their single auction thread. For example, if you want to auction 20 books, start a thread and list the books with BIN's etc and have them all end at the same time. It might be a little messy for the seller to clean up afterwards but all the information should be there to determine the winners.

Good point - put me in the 'one auction at a time' camp. Boardies with more to sell can run an auction for a selected item, and sell concurrently in a regular thread...this will make people be more selective about what they choose to auction, and will help ensure that auctions don't become a dominant sales mechanism here...I think many of us would prefer "normal" sales threads to remain the norm, while allowing the auction format as a fun/interesting option when appropriate...'one auction at a time' would facilitate this structure.

I think it could be possible for a person to run as many auctions as they like - within their single auction thread. For example, if you want to auction 20 books, start a thread and list the books with BIN's etc and have them all end at the same time. It might be a little messy for the seller to clean up afterwards but all the information should be there to determine the winners.

That is plausible, although if there is no limit on that you may have a tendency for members to maximize the number to ensure more frequent bumps for their listing, and while some will prove capable of managing 20 plus separate books some will not, and the more at once the greater the chances of things going wrong. It could in the end become a great producer of drama as much as profits.

Good point - put me in the 'one auction at a time' camp. Boardies with more to sell can run an auction for a selected item, and sell concurrently in a regular thread...this will make people be more selective about what they choose to auction, and will help ensure that auctions don't become a dominant sales mechanism here...I think many of us would prefer "normal" sales threads to remain the norm, while allowing the auction format as a fun/interesting option when appropriate...'one auction at a time' would facilitate this structure.

I agree Ed, I just would rather see someone auction 3 books in one thread over one book in each of three threads concurrently.

This just seems like an annoying nightmare if I'm the buyer...having to sift through a thread to figure out what the last bid was on an item I'm interested in. So, let me start one thread and put 50 individual books in there...it's constantly getting bumped from bidders on 50 books, each trying to figure out what the last bid on something was...nightmare. I'm not saying limit it to one thing, but put some reasonable constraint on it, given our technological situation...say, maximum of 3 items in a thread, or some manageable number like that (and I mean manageable for a buyer trying to navigate the thread)

That is plausible, although if there is no limit on that you may have a tendency for members to maximize the number to ensure more frequent bumps for their listing, and while some will prove capable of managing 20 plus separate books some will not, and the more at once the greater the chances of things going wrong. It could in the end become a great producer of drama as much as profits.

If it were up to me, I would say one thread with a max of three books. (shrug)

Agreed

If it were up to me, I would say one thread with a max of three books. (shrug)

+1

I think we're converging here on a reasonable structure. Well, at least the three of us are :D

This just seems like an annoying nightmare if I'm the buyer...having to sift through a thread to figure out what the last bid was on an item I'm interested in. So, let me start one thread and put 50 individual books in there...it's constantly getting bumped from bidders on 50 books, each trying to figure out what the last bid on something was...nightmare. I'm not saying limit it to one thing, but put some reasonable constraint on it, given our technological situation...say, maximum of 3 items in a thread, or some manageable number like that (and I mean manageable for a buyer trying to navigate the thread)

Your absolutely right, it would be a nightmare and I would probably never even check in on it but at least the sellers mess would be contained to a single thread. There definitely should be a cap on the amount of books per thread.

Your absolutely right, it would be a nightmare and I would probably never even check in on it but at least the sellers mess would be contained to a single thread. There definitely should be a cap on the amount of books per thread.

I think that putting a cap on the number of "lots" would satisfy, so if say you wanted the option of up to 3 lots (or however many is agreed upon) you can put as much as you want in any given lot, 1 or 1000 but that would limit the number of separately generated bids being posted in a seller's thread.

I think that putting a cap on the number of "lots" would satisfy, so if say you wanted the option of up to 3 lots (or however many is agreed upon) you can put as much as you want in any given lot, 1 or 1000 but that would limit the number of separately generated bids being posted in a seller's thread.

That sounds reasonable to me.

I find it difficult to follow multiple books being auctioned separately in a single thread, which turns me off bidding. I quit following the Bill Mantlo thread for that reason, and ended up winning a book despite that. But that's a risk the seller can take. Run a thread that might confuse people, get less action.

I'd rather see fewer threads, too, and would rather let sellers do multiple books in a thread.

More than anything, I want to see a sub-forum. There's obviously a demand for auctions by both sellers and buyers, but it does clutter the regular sales thread forum, and as noted already, it bumps down too many standard sales threads.

Edited by DavidTheDavid