• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Auctions
2 2

603 posts in this topic

You realize that this is all a ploy to make you blow your top before the next VCC don't you...

Nah, none of the VCCE will sell to me anyway, so that's no angle.

Speak to me Elite.

WILL YOU SELL TO THIS BOARD MEMBER? (shrug)

HeII, I've sold to Cal. If I'll sell to Cal, I'll sell to anyone.

Even Danny-boy?!?!?!? :o :o :o :o

Go fist yourself!!! :makepoint:

:foryou:

You realize that this is all a ploy to make you blow your top before the next VCC don't you...

Nah, none of the VCCE will sell to me anyway, so that's no angle.

Speak to me Elite.

WILL YOU SELL TO THIS BOARD MEMBER? (shrug)

HeII, I've sold to Cal. If I'll sell to Cal, I'll sell to anyone.

Even Danny-boy?!?!?!? :o :o :o :o

I've probably sold to him and don't know it. With all of his aliases it's impossible to know.

Go fist yourself!!! :makepoint:

:foryou:

:cloud9:

Yeah, you'd have to either start the bidding at the minimum you're comfortable with, or be ready to let the book go if you start the bids low.

I think it would take some work, would need to be carefully laid out ahead of time, and bidder names would have to be transparent but it would be a fun way for someone to blow out a large number of cheaper books. I don't like the hard end time idea myself, but it's really up to the seller to decide how to sell their books.

I might do a bit of 'beta testing'... hm

Unless anyone's going to take real offence? (shrug)

I already ran an auction here for fun.

A small lot with ASM 100, 121, 122 in VG+

To get around the "must have an asking price" rule I put a BIN of $100.

I had an opening bid of $1 and a reserve of $65.

The reserve wasn't publicly known until it was tripped, just like on eBay.

I updated it like an eBay auction and the winner met the reserve and the lot sold.

I found it was too much work.

I'm just wondering if there will be a forum auction elite ? And T-shirts ? hm

We should get the first shirts!

:sumo:

Trmoore is already running one with absolutely no adverse effects except all this wasted bickering over it! (shrug)

Wouldn't life be easy if all you ever needed was a test case of one. :cloud9:

I PMed Architecht and told him if boards had a problem with my auction I'd pull it and have no response...so until I hear otherwise be sure and bid on my auction and bid often!!! :sumo:

Edited by trmoore54

I have the first shirt. The only shirt, for that matter. It will be unveiled in Chicago.

I have the first shirt. The only shirt, for that matter. It will be unveiled in Chicago.

Is it a Large? :takeit:

I ran and chromium won the first for profit auction run here since the update and new rules.

:whistle:

Oh please. I get tired of you playing the damned victim all the time. You have made your on ing bed, now go wallow in it.

See what I mean. :screwy:

I think the VCCE War is back on. ^^

P.S. You should see the size of my war chest. :o

Re: the whole auction debate -- I don't care if sellers want to try it for fun or to maximize their profits maybe, but as a potential buyer, it turns me off: I simply don't enjoy competing for books, keeping track of the bidding, etc., etc. I'd honestly rather overpay for a BIN item than deal with bidding wars, thrill bidders, shills, and all the other garbage that makes eBay such a nightmare, and the current FS Forum such a refreshing alternative.

No muss/no fuss (well, mostly) straight-ahead sales (among other things) are what makes the Marketplace unique. I've spent lots of $$ on comics here in the past few years, and exactly ZERO bucks on eBay. I'd hate to see that change...

• Administrator

Generally, the theme of the forum only trading was the idea that members generally due to a sense of community and a level of trust, could buy and sell books to each other in a very low hassle way.

1. They could avoid service fees from intermediaries.

2. They might give each other price breaks out of the joy of collecting when trading within the community instead of outside of it (goes to a good home kind of thing).

3. A shared sense of rational pricing and grading so you didn't need as much reputation management etc. as provided by tools like eBay.

4. Because of the presumed "fair price" shared understanding you didn't need the whole auction format, etc., and the complications it brings.

I'm not in love with the auction format in general because of the shill encouragement that I think would be likely.

It seems like the reverse auctions fit the spirit. It also seems like an auction with a hard stop at a stated price would be maybe ok?

So you have an auction, you state a BIN fair price. If the auction rises to the BIN level, you sell to whoever gets there first. It turns auctions into a way to unload books that you want to get rid of, but you may not get the full price... but you don't care as long as you're selling to a boardie...

?

Generally, the theme of the forum only trading was the idea that members generally due to a sense of community and a level of trust, could buy and sell books to each other in a very low hassle way.

2. They might give each other price breaks out of the joy of collecting when trading within the community instead of outside of it (goes to a good home kind of thing).

3. A shared sense of rational pricing and grading so you didn't need as much reputation management etc. as provided by tools like eBay.

4. Because of the presumed "fair price" shared understanding you didn't need the whole auction format, etc., and the complications it brings.

I'm not in love with the auction format in general because of the shill encouragement that I think would be likely.

It seems like the reverse auctions fit the spirit. It also seems like an auction with a hard stop at a stated price would be maybe ok?

So you have an auction, you state a BIN fair price. If the auction rises to the BIN level, you sell to whoever gets there first. It turns auctions into a way to unload books that you want to get rid of, but you may not get the full price... but you don't care as long as you're selling to a boardie...

?

(thumbs u

Though I have been reading the discussion and generally was against the auctions being allowed I do like the last comment made by Architect.

Auctions should have a BIN price. Once the BIN is reached thats the end of the auction and sold to the buyer who reached it first. The auction would have to have a hard, non negotiable time limit. Maybe 48 hours. "Optimistic" BINs would never be reached so the time limit is necessary.

The more I think about it the more I like. We should try to tear it down for any faults it might present.

The more I think about it the more I like. We should try to tear it down for any faults it might present.

Okay, here's one obvious question:

What is the difference between a BIN and a reverse-auction with set BIN?

None

The latter just takes up more time and effort.

Now if you're talking a scenario where someone could put a $100 BIN on an auction for a VG ASM 150, then auction it off for $6, then it's a pure auction and people will abuse the "fair BIN" just like they do now when "taking offers".

Though I have been reading the discussion and generally was against the auctions being allowed I do like the last comment made by Architect.

Auctions should have a BIN price. Once the BIN is reached thats the end of the auction and sold to the buyer who reached it first. The auction would have to have a hard, non negotiable time limit. Maybe 48 hours. "Optimistic" BINs would never be reached so the time limit is necessary.

Early on I suggested a BIN, as well as a 'hard finish'. The auction ends when either the BIN is popped, or reached through bidding, or at the alloted time. If it doesn't reach the BIN, tough on the seller...he must honour the highest bid.

Furthermore, the 'shill' aspect is not so much of a risk. It will soon become apparent if a certain boarder is 'bidding' on another boarder's stuff...but not winning.

Why not try it with something more common and see how it works out(shrug)

Trmoore is already running one with absolutely no adverse effects except all this wasted bickering over it! (shrug)

now this is a post that makes total sense............to me.... (thumbs u

think i may even bid on it just to move things along........ :devil:

?

All good points, but in your auction scenario, who determines whether a BIN is "fair" or not? The FMV for any given book is not readily agreed upon, and thus the guideline would be effectively unenforceable, i.e., the seller's set BIN could always exceed FMV :)

All good points, but in your auction scenario, who determines whether a BIN is "fair" or not? The FMV for any given book is not readily agreed upon, and thus the guideline would be effectively unenforceable, i.e., the seller's set BIN could always exceed FMV.

Yeah, that format doesn't seem like much of an auction when you have a reserve (BIN), you might as well pull a FFB and put it out there with a mongo price tag but note you're "taking offers".

A true auction is best (either using the new-once-twice-sold format, or the set-your-snipe/fixed end time format), but I suppose to avoid the threat of shilling the seller would have to require that bids be posted directly in the thread.