• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Auctions
2 2

603 posts in this topic

To keep it from becoming ebay:

One thread at a time.

Limit of one lot (max three) per thread.

No reserve

No bumping your own thread except once within the last eight hours.

No posting in a closed auction other than to announce the winner and close the thread.

All should be no reserve but I have nothing against a BIN price. If it's ridiculous it will just be ignored. If it's reasonable and gets hit. The auction is over early and clears space.

This would satisfy me, my feeling generally is that we should err on the side of strict simplicity to start, as it is always easier to loosen things up a bit later if the experiment proves successful.

As was already pointed out, by Revat I think, the simpler and stricter the more likely moderation will accept it and be willing to police it, the more complicated it gets the more drama and fatigue it will produce and the whole thing will get shut down, assuming it is ever allowed to start. 2c

I like the restrictive aspects being brought up. I don't think anyone wants this to turn into ebay. The sales forums work well and it would be nice to move out the auctions to their own sub-forum. I agree that it needs to kept simple to fly with the mods.

Maybe when this highly speculative era is over the need (for an auction sub forum) will go away?

Would people get to run more than one auction at once?

Generally I am very much in favour of making a separate area for auctions.

IMO to allow more than one at the same time would be a catastrophe, it would overwhelm the system, within a day you would have to scroll through a 100 pages to see what is "new". For the people who want to run auctions it would bury any given auction underneath an avalanche, and thus be self defeating.

My 2c is that it is crucial that we have a consensus that each member can only run one auction at a time.

I dunno about that. If I want to sell ten comics, and I for some reason want them to be auctions, it's gonna take me like 20 days to sell them, assuming my auctions only run for two days. Why not allow two or three auctions to run concurrently?

[font:Book Antiqua]Because someone will abuse the system

posting as many books (At the same time) as the rules allow...

[/font]

2c

If you post as many as are allowed, you're not abusing the system.

The more I read this thread, the more it sounds like E-Bay. I'm beginning to think the Boards are not the right venue for auctions. If you want to put your books in an auction then pay the fee and use E-Bay, Clink, etc.

Word

Auctions are the latest board selling gimmick. The last one was mystery boxes. I wonder what the next gimmick will be?

Name changes every other week.

Auctions are the latest board selling gimmick. The last one was mystery boxes. I wonder what the next gimmick will be?

I ran three auctions in the sales forum last week. Two were bought at the BIN price and all three went smooth and didn't take up a lot of real estate on the front page. I'm pretty sure they weren't a gimmick.

Please remember that all sale items must be grouped into as few threads as is reasonable. Auctions are not a supported format on the boards -- and while we allow posts about them here, we don't want them to dominate the discussions. Thank you for your cooperation.

Holy vague post. Does it mean no auctions?

(please note, I did not read p 23, 24 of this thread)

being someone who has been running auctions..

I was running one auction per day. 24 hours

when one auction ended, I started another.

I like that format. One auction, per person, per day

anyone with multiple auctions will easily push those less "busy" down the page and they will suffer. This is very much like someone on ebay having 2-3 auctions in the middle of someone who has 300 of them. They get lost. It just isn't a fair attitude. One thread per day makes each auction equal - as far as real estate is concerned

As to # of items.. well, I tried single items and then I tried multiple items (meaning multiple auctions) in one thread and I found that the continuous thread did not work for the reasons edowens remarked - that subsequent listings get lost and the thread got difficult to handle, so I would be against a rule that necessitates a single thread per "auctioneer"

Should it only be CGC books? NO

people have lots of stuff to sell of all kinds. requiring cgc books would have meant I couldn't have auctioned the Amazing Man 22 cover.

I couldn't auction pulps, or blb's or other similar type stuff that only belongs in the GA/SA area

is it 7:00:00, 7:00:59, 7:01:00 ???

when I say 7:00, it does mean 7:00, which is not 6:59:59. however, does the site have a time counter? Well no, it doesn't. I had this issue last week when people were still bidding after 7:00 and I had to decipher it from "posted 14 minutes and 36 seconds ago" because I was in the warehouse area and not at the computer

NO RESERVES and NO ENDING EARLY

if you have the intention to list an auction, then you should have the temerity (or the fortitude) to let it sell and take whatever it goes for

I've been doing auctions from my own movie poster site (see footer) for 8 years

during that time I continually meant to start them on my comic auction site (yeah see the footer, man) but it's too time consuming for me to sell hundreds of items every month with no real help anymore, so I've been doing tids and tads here. I think it's a great place to reach people, clearly the fee structure is great and very pro-seller (he-he) and I think a separate section is the right solution.

let me also add, that I also like auctions in their own forum as that means I can maintain a sales thread in GA/SA that I hold back if I'm doing an auction.

no joke, I'm trying to sell stuff. I have 2200 sqft full and up to 12 feet in the air. I need to move it along to other people who appreciate the stuff.

One more area where I can sell that does not conflict with other places is excellent

and did I mention the board has a great fee structure for selling your stuff?

:kidaround:

is it 7:00:00, 7:00:59, 7:01:00 ???

when I say 7:00, it does mean 7:00, which is not 6:59:59. however, does the site have a time counter? Well no, it doesn't. I had this issue last week when people were still bidding after 7:00 and I had to decipher it from "posted 14 minutes and 36 seconds ago" because I was in the warehouse area and not at the computer

I bolded the penultimate bid based on your ending time being 7:00 "timestamp wins" - it's language clarity that is needed when announcing an ending time. Hopefully if Arch does something he clarifies it as either "prior to" or "time stamp" as it relates to end times.

To solve your other problem you can:

1. Wait out the hour :taptaptap:

2. Change your user preferences to NOT show relative times.

150955.jpg.2ea0951834f90275a2fd3a6313c2b756.jpg

I ran three auctions in the sales forum last week. Two were bought at the BIN price and all three went smooth and didn't take up a lot of real estate on the front page. I'm pretty sure they weren't a gimmick.

We can feel free to disagree. I think auctions, much like mystery boxes are just the latest gimmick. Gimmicks that seem to be turning this place more and more into a selling venue that has way too many similarities to ebay.

Please remember that all sale items must be grouped into as few threads as is reasonable. Auctions are not a supported format on the boards -- and while we allow posts about them here, we don't want them to dominate the discussions. Thank you for your cooperation.

Holy vague post. Does it mean no auctions?

lol Not really sure. I'd like to hear Arch weigh in on it though

I get the reluctance. I understand the fear that it will draw eBay types here that could affect the community. However, I find it ironic because the place has become loaded with tools already, particularly the selling forums. There are quite a few shady types actually pulling the wool over heads and passing themselves to some as decent members of the community. I used to sell here almost exclusively. I've gotten to where I prefer eBay. At least the tools there pay more.

If an auction sub-forum will draw in undesirables. At least everyone will know where they are, and simply don't visit that part of the forums. Don't browse, don't bid, don't list, don't click on it.

I don't care for auctions in the for sale forums. The format clogs up real estate which is already clogged with too many pointless or sneaky thread bumps.

I ran a few and tried to keep them simple, and only bumped them myself once in the last few hours.

If they are going to be continued to be allowed in any form, then I think a sub-forum and some rules would be beneficial.

If it becomes a mess or too much of a burden on mods, then Arch can just get rid of it.