• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Auctions
2 2

603 posts in this topic

The more I read this thread, the more it sounds like E-Bay. I'm beginning to think the Boards are not the right venue for auctions. If you want to put your books in an auction then pay the fee and use E-Bay, Clink, etc.

Lots of things about this place have been like eBay for some time now. Particularly in the sales forums. Comics have reached a new high in popularity. Buying, selling, flipping, speculating along with it. There's a new wanna be BSD every time you turn around. It's probably a good idea to go ahead and hash out some guidelines for auctions and create a separate forum. Unless you want a lot of auctions with poor format flooding the regular sales forums. At least if there is a separate forum and it becomes a mess. You just don't have to go there anymore. Sort of like I do with Comics General.

Edited by MCMiles

I agree on one thread at a time for each seller, number of items in the thread would be up to them. If the seller can't be bothered to put in the effort to properly track bids with multiple items in a thread(use a spreadsheet, piece of paper or Googledocs) then keep the items to a minimum. The benefit of having a fee free forum to use may be offset by a little more effort to keep track- certainly a fair trade off.

I would also suggest EVERY thread title lists the end date/time, for example Ends 11/5/14 12pm, so people browsing can determine if they are looking at a finished auction thread that's been bumped.

I agree on one thread at a time for each seller, number of items in the thread would be up to them. If the seller can't be bothered to put in the effort to properly track bids with multiple items in a thread(use a spreadsheet, piece of paper or Googledocs) then keep the items to a minimum. The benefit of having a fee free forum to use may be offset by a little more effort to keep track- certainly a fair trade off.

I would also suggest EVERY thread title lists the end date/time, for example Ends 11/5/14 12pm, so people browsing can determine if they are looking at a finished auction thread that's been bumped.

Also-

*Separate sale sub-forum

*Starting bid

*Bid increment details

*Buy It Now price(if desired). If it's an auction sub-forum then I can see not having a BIN price, if it's in the regular sales forum then yes, please have BIN.

Also-

*Separate sale sub-forum

*Starting bid

*Bid increment details

*Buy It Now price(if desired). If it's an auction sub-forum then I can see not having a BIN price, if it's in the regular sales forum then yes, please have BIN.

1. On the time, be sure and specify the time zone.

2. And by all means, separate category sub-forum.

3. I would like to see specifics in the title of what is being auctioned although that may be tough to do/control.

4. I hope we don't see reserve prices.

5. I agree one item (could be either a single item or a group of items to form one group).

6. I wouldn't mind limiting the total number of days an auction can run so it doesn't continue to take up real estate.

7. No mystery box auctions - item(s) needs to be specifically identified and preferably shown/described.

8. Not possible but wouldn't it be great if you can't start with "Usual Rules Apply"

9. Wish there were a way not to edit a bid. Let's say someone jumps out there on a high bid and near the end of the auction, edits/lowers their bid (hoping no one notices). We've had that happen before I believe. But I'm sure this is not possible and most likely enough folks here would notice. If someone posts a incorrect bid, it would be nice if they PM the seller and explain the reason they are changing their bid but that should happen almost immediately after they placed an erroneous bid.

10. Too many thoughts I'm sure. I wonder if I'll be able to snipe hm

Looks like you guys are creating the ground rules for a sub forum that will eventually be created.

Who ultimately makes the decision?

Why not just use feebay's outline of an auction and fine tune it for this forum?

I think everyone here wants to take their business as far from eBay as possible with all the money they take, but I could be wrong.

I agree with GAcollectibles view for the most part.

Edited by HusTrucK

Also-

*Separate sale sub-forum

*Starting bid

*Bid increment details

3. I would like to see specifics in the title of what is being auctioned although that may be tough to do/control.

5. I agree one item (could be either a single item or a group of items to form one group).

6. I wouldn't mind limiting the total number of days an auction can run so it doesn't continue to take up real estate.

7. No mystery box auctions - item(s) needs to be specifically identified and preferably shown/described.

8. Not possible but wouldn't it be great if you can't start with "Usual Rules Apply"

9. Wish there were a way not to edit a bid. Let's say someone jumps out there on a high bid and near the end of the auction, edits/lowers their bid (hoping no one notices). We've had that happen before I believe. But I'm sure this is not possible and most likely enough folks here would notice. If someone posts a incorrect bid, it would be nice if they PM the seller and explain the reason they are changing their bid but that should happen almost immediately after they placed an erroneous bid.

+1.

There is a way to see if someone has edited a bid. The seller can have all the posts emailed to him/her, that way the original post is preserved in an email. It's also a good way for the seller to keep track of bids in case they missed one.

I agree we need to try an auction sales subforum. I just think it's going to be a nightmare if we have it unlimited. Although I sold and still sometimes sell on eBay, I don't want this to be eBay, nor do I want to see a zillion newbies here just to do auctions and avoid fees.

I like seeing new people, but lately there are more and more people who are coming here just to sell. I'm concerned that word will get out that this is a free auction site.

My suggestions would be

1. One auction sub forum not 3

2. One thread per seller per week. I agree with Andrew on it being the seller's responsibility to monitor the bids.

3. I agree with starting at a set price, no removing bids, no reserves and no bin price. If you want a bin, do a straight sale.

I'd also like to suggest that the start of auctions be confined to starting on just Tues/Wed or Thurs and they run for 1 week.

My reasoning is to prevent having a zillion new former eBay dealers show up and starting auctions. If it works out smoothly it can always be changed to a variety of days and lengths

A friend told me I'm getting too restrictive with just 3 days, he's right, lol. I think it's going to be chaos and I really don't love the idea of auctions so I was trying to think of something to make it less chaotic.

One of my concerns is how to track the ending times. Unless the last bid extends the time by 5 minutes, I can see it being a problem.

That and the carnival barking (bumping)

A friend told me I'm getting too restrictive with just 3 days, he's right, lol. I think it's going to be chaos and I really don't love the idea of auctions so I was trying to think of something to make it less chaotic.

One of my concerns is how to track the ending times. Unless the last bid extends the time by 5 minutes, I can see it being a problem.

That and the carnival barking (bumping)

Post ending time in the title- mandatory- with time zone for clarity.

I think you're going to have to limit to 1 auction at a time per person or its going to get VERY EBAY VERY quickly. And probably limit to people with a certain number of posts (possibly very high). I like the idea generally, but I'm not sure it will be worth it to the mods. Its gonna be a cluster for them.

To keep it from becoming ebay:

One thread at a time.

Limit of one lot (max three) per thread.

No reserve

No bumping your own thread except once within the last eight hours.

No posting in a closed auction other than to announce the winner and close the thread.

All should be no reserve but I have nothing against a BIN price. If it's ridiculous it will just be ignored. If it's reasonable and gets hit. The auction is over early and clears space.

To keep it from becoming ebay: we shouldn't allow auctions or mystery boxes.

One thread at a time.

No reserve

No posting in a closed auction other than to announce the winner and close the thread.

All should be no reserve but I have nothing against a BIN price. If it's ridiculous it will just be ignored. If it's reasonable and gets hit. The auction is over early and clears space.

Fixed :foryou:

One thread at a time.

No reserve

A number of people have mentioned the "no reserve" idea, but I'm not sure what it means. Does it mean no hidden reserve -- "Sorry, I'm not selling the book because the highest bid was $150 and my (unstated) reserve was $175" -- or does it mean that the opening bid has to be $0.99?

In other words, is opening an auction with an initial bid of, say, $100, what you mean be a "reserve'? hm

Also-

*Separate sale sub-forum

*Starting bid

*Bid increment details

+1.

There is a way to see if someone has edited a bid. The seller can have all the posts emailed to him/her, that way the original post is preserved in an email. It's also a good way for the seller to keep track of bids in case they missed one.

I agree we need to try an auction sales subforum. I just think it's going to be a nightmare if we have it unlimited. Although I sold and still sometimes sell on eBay, I don't want this to be eBay, nor do I want to see a zillion newbies here just to do auctions and avoid fees.

I like seeing new people, but lately there are more and more people who are coming here just to sell. I'm concerned that word will get out that this is a free auction site.

My suggestions would be

1. One auction sub forum not 3

2. One thread per seller per week. I agree with Andrew on it being the seller's responsibility to monitor the bids.

3. I agree with starting at a set price, no removing bids, no reserves and no bin price. If you want a bin, do a straight sale.

I'd also like to suggest that the start of auctions be confined to starting on just Tues/Wed or Thurs and they run for 1 week.

My reasoning is to prevent having a zillion new former eBay dealers show up and starting auctions. If it works out smoothly it can always be changed to a variety of days and lengths

This all seems good, although I think if we have a limit of one auction per week, we don't really need the restriction on which days an auction can begin. One thread per week and one book per thread should keep eBay sellers from moving over en masse.

One thread at a time.

No reserve

I agree no mystery boxes. But why do you care if there are auctions in a different forum? Just don't go there.

One thread at a time.

No reserve

I agree no mystery boxes. But why do you care if there are auctions in a different forum? Just don't go there.

its gonna bring a lot more people to the threads JUST TO SELL, and they will NOT KNOW OR FOLLOW the rules, and THEY WILL post EVERYWHERE. It will create far more headaches that its worth. UNLESS we can implement a rule where someone with less than 500 posts (or whatever) cannot even START a new thread in the auction area.

One thread at a time.

No reserve

A number of people have mentioned the "no reserve" idea, but I'm not sure what it means. Does it mean no hidden reserve -- "Sorry, I'm not selling the book because the highest bid was $150 and my (unstated) reserve was $175" -- or does it mean that the opening bid has to be $0.99?

In other words, is opening an auction with an initial bid of, say, $100, what you mean be a "reserve'? hm

I'm pretty sure every one means all listings must have a $1 dollar opening bid and bid increment and if the max bid is $1 then it's sold for $1. If you can't risk it, don't list it. That will keep the ebay types away.

$1 opening and $1 increment should be required otherwise. Someone can just use a really high bid opening bid and bid increment to protect themselves.

Edited by MCMiles

One thread at a time.

No reserve

its gonna bring a lot more people to the threads JUST TO SELL, and they will NOT KNOW OR FOLLOW the rules, and THEY WILL post EVERYWHERE. It will create far more headaches that its worth. UNLESS we can implement a rule where someone with less than 500 posts (or whatever) cannot even START a new thread in the auction area.

I don't think it will attract any more than the selling forums already do. If they don't follow the rules then their thread gets yanked. I doubt the kinds of sellers you're talking about will have much interest in a no reserve format. The turds won't last and the decent people will stay. Besides, they're already coming here in droves.

One thread at a time.

No reserve

I'm pretty sure every one means all listings must have a $1 dollar opening bid and bid increment and if the max bid is $1 then it's sold for $1. If you can't risk it, don't list it. That will keep the ebay types away.

$1 opening and $1 increment should be required otherwise. Someone can just use a really high bid opening bid and bid increment to protect themselves.

That's what I figured, but it's confusing to use reserve to refer to what's called an opening bid on eBay.

One thread at a time.

No reserve

This would satisfy me, my feeling generally is that we should err on the side of strict simplicity to start, as it is always easier to loosen things up a bit later if the experiment proves successful.

As was already pointed out, by Revat I think, the simpler and stricter the more likely moderation will accept it and be willing to police it, the more complicated it gets the more drama and fatigue it will produce and the whole thing will get shut down, assuming it is ever allowed to start. 2c