• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OT: Anyone know how to reach CAP Freak?

878 posts in this topic

And btw, age has nothing to do with it. I have met as many level headed kids as I have met "a hole" adults. Sadly it looks like Connor is headed very quickly towards the latter of the two.

Before this thread, I didn't realize he was only 15 or 16.

None of you ever did stupid mess when you were that age? I'm not condoning what he did, and he should be punished, but stupid decisions and teenagers go together like steak and bacon, or chicken and bacon, or bacon and beer.

Yeah...just look at Britney... :insane:

He's been known to help dealers at Cons...he was helping a dealer who I believe is also a board member at the Yorba Linda Con earlier this year...

If I was the dealer he was helping I'd keep an eye out for the five-finger discount and frisk him on the way out... :boo:

Honestly - I want to know as you have stated a few times it is his age that allows for more forgiveness.

I don't think his age justifies what he did; he has to either make things right, or be punished. He's still accountable.

Honestly - I want to know as you have stated a few times it is his age that allows for more forgiveness.

I don't think his age justifies what he did; he has to either make things right, or be punished. He's still accountable.

We are in agreement, and please don't take my question as a challenge to you. Just heat-of-the-moment statement because of all the wonderful care that was invested in a potentially uncaring individual. :foryou:

We all need to stick together and help Connor realize this is bad behavior, and it is never going to be tolerated on here from anyone.

I really hope he's reading these threads.

California has some great laws on the books.

Like the one that makes parents or guardians on unempancipated minors financially responsible for the theft/larceny/monetary loss of the minor through commission of a crime (in this case petty theft).

Also, since a computer was used to commit this crime, there is a great section of the penal code that calls for forfeiture of the means of perpetrating the crime if restitution is not paid in full.

Basically, his parents are on the hook for this crime, and if they don't pay you voluntarily you can take his computer against what he owes you. Or at the very least the police can take and keep all his electronic means of committing the crime.

Best thing is, doesn't cost you a dime. It's not a civil case, it's criminal. You file a police report and a nice uniformed officer will show up at his door to discuss it. He won't be able to hang up the phone on him.

C

TRY and Ban me from Posting.

(thumbs u We are working on it son...working on it. :devil:

I dealt with the same issue with Herald2Galactus. FFB is in California. Someone may want to take the lead and gather all the board members, transactions, amounts and dates and send it to him and ask for help. I sent a nice registered mail letter to his parents detailing the issues and lo and behold $ was all refunded. Criminal action is much more powerful and this case, even though a minor, he can still be charged as a juvenile delinquent.

If FFB is tied I'm happy to help, but it's persuasive coming from an attorney who practices in the jurisdiction.

I love that there are lawyers on this board ready to crack the whip on scammers. (thumbs u

None of you ever did stupid mess when you were that age? I'm not condoning what he did, and he should be punished, but stupid decisions and teenagers go together like steak and bacon, or chicken and bacon, or bacon and beer.

I did indeed do a lot of stupid stuff when I was that age, but I never stole anything with malice aforethought. Smoked pot? Yeah. Played on peoples' good will and pocketed their cash while making snide comments? Not so much. That's not a dumb teenage decision, that's a character flaw.

Like the one that makes parents or guardians on unempancipated minors financially responsible for the theft/larceny/monetary loss of the minor through commission of a crime (in this case petty theft).

Also, since a computer was used to commit this crime, there is a great section of the penal code that calls for forfeiture of the means of perpetrating the crime if restitution is not paid in full.

Basically, his parents are on the hook for this crime, and if they don't pay you voluntarily you can take his computer against what he owes you. Or at the very least the police can take and keep all his electronic means of committing the crime.

Best thing is, doesn't cost you a dime. It's not a civil case, it's criminal. You file a police report and a nice uniformed officer will show up at his door to discuss it. He won't be able to hang up the phone on him.

C

And because it's across state lines, it's automatically a felony or something?

C

I dealt with the same issue with Herald2Galactus. FFB is in California. Someone may want to take the lead and gather all the board members, transactions, amounts and dates and send it to him and ask for help. I sent a nice registered mail letter to his parents detailing the issues and lo and behold $ was all refunded. Criminal action is much more powerful and this case, even though a minor, he can still be charged as a juvenile delinquent.

If FFB is tied I'm happy to help, but it's persuasive coming from an attorney who practices in the jurisdiction.

Brian, spot on! I'm surprised this wasn't mentioned earlier in the thread as it is one of the first actions that popped up in my head. Additionally, I don't see why members who have his mailing address don't contact his local authorities about this form of theft. It's clearly against the law in a number of ways as mentioned, and this young boy clearly needs to have a lesson in cause and effect. I know we all did some stupid things as teens and those effects that followed are usually what helped us to keep from continuing those same acts.

At this point those forum members who have met the kid and his parents need to make contact. If they physically know where he lives stop by and ring the bell.

Posting threads in the forum with the hopes of him reading them and acting are nothing more than wishful thinking.

At this point those forum members who have met the kid and his parents need to make contact. If they physically know where he lives stop by and ring the bell.

Posting threads in the forum with the hopes of him reading them and acting are nothing more than wishful thinking.

i'm stuck here in overcast Harrisburg Pa, as much as i'd like to confront his parents. i don't have to means to.

j

Well, I heard from the NOD directors. I'm not going into details out of respect for their kind response, but I think this young man is going to learn another life lesson very soon.

Hopefully, he enjoys another hobby other than comics.

Thanks, I did not even think about emailing NOD directly.

C

hm ..I had forgotten that "juvenile delinquent" was a valid ,used legal term. lol

C

And because it's across state lines, it's automatically a felony or something?

The "across state lines" thing, soliciting a sale to be completed by mail, is a federal crime under the Mail Fraud statutes. It carries a minimum sentence and fine that is comparable to most state felony theft statutes regardless of the size of the sale at hand.

It is usually easier to get the local PD to pay a visit, cause an involuntary bowel evacuation on the kid, and get a quick agreement to repay than it is to go the federal route.

C

i'm stuck here in overcast Harrisburg Pa, as much as i'd like to confront his parents. i don't have to means to.

j

Junk, if you have his address you can do a reverse lookup to get the home phone number if it is listed. I use teldir but there are alot out there. Also, IMO, it is not cool to publicly post his personal information.

Lakewood is just north of Long Beach, just west of Knott's Berry Farm and just south of Bellflower (where the hospital where Octomom gave birth). I did my Diagnostic Medical Sonographer's training at Kaiser Bellflower hospital. Post his address with a googlemaps pic. of his house and that may get him a little worried.

He's been known to help dealers at Cons...he was helping a dealer who I believe is also a board member at the Yorba Linda Con earlier this year...

If I was the dealer he was helping I'd keep an eye out for the five-finger discount and frisk him on the way out... :boo:

Connor shared a booth with me at Terry's convention in Yorba Linda. He paid for his table and sold enough books to cover his purchases. I met his dad only very briefly. I didn't see Connor doing anything improper and looking back still have no reservations about him there. He networks very well and was in friendly discussions with many dealers and collectors. He was a classic comic geek, much like many of us were at his age.

The most disappointing part of this is with all those contacts - many of whom have been doing him favors - and wealth of knowledge, he could have been in a position to become a big player in comics down the road. Now, he seems more along the line of the crooked dealer from my LCS growing up who would shaft his customers if he thought he could squeeze a few extra bucks from somewhere. That jerk has opened and closed a half dozen stores and leaves a trail of destruction, while honest dealers can go on to be very successful.

He screwed up - we all do (we don't all rip people off). But the real difference is what we do afterward. Connor isn't ready to take responsibility for his actions, so the board has ostracized him. Ban or no ban, he cannot contribute or enjoy the boards in the way he has in the past with the way we police ourselves.

j

Junk, if you have his address you can do a reverse lookup to get the home phone number if it is listed.

gonna wait until i get home to do that, also a birdy told me his dad may be in chicago?

I use teldir but there are alot out there. Also, IMO, it is not cool to publicly post his personal information. do you mean by pming his phone # to another boardie? i'm lost with that statement

j

j

Junk, if you have his address you can do a reverse lookup to get the home phone number if it is listed.

gonna wait until i get home to do that, also a birdy told me his dad may be in chicago?

I use teldir but there are alot out there. Also, IMO, it is not cool to publicly post his personal information. do you mean by pming his phone # to another boardie? i'm lost with that statement

j

No, you mentioned that about posting it in this thread.

A quick Facebook search tells me he graduates highschool in 2011. I feel so old.

lol - perspective is a wonderful thing. I graduated HS in 1982 if that helps you feel a little younger.

I graduated from HS the year BaltimoreLauren was born :sorry:

Time to take my Geritol and head off to my mid-day nap. My daily routine for a geezer like me....

Brian