• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Would unlimited funds enhance or lessen the enjoyment of collecting for you?

32 posts in this topic

What do you think? Would unlimited funds enhance the enjoyment of collecting for you? Or would they lessen it? Do you actually derive a degree of pleasure from amassing the pieces of that which you prize within the constraints of whatever your finances allow? Or are financial considerations just an extremely annoying limiting factor?

:juggle:

I think it would enhance it for the most part, but it might get old after 20-30 years. :insane:

Unlimited funds wouldn't necessarily end the pursuit of some truly rare books, or the highest graded copies. Many of these items are in the possession of private collectors who don't want to sell at any price.

Unlimited funds would defeat the purpose of collecting, unless you were collecting items that are EXTREMELY rare or one of a kind.

Unlimited funds would defeat the purpose of collecting

Not for me, I collect my books to read them. Sure, I take good care of them afterwards, but the main reason I buy them in the first place is to read. I only have a handful of slabs, if you're wondering.

If I had unlimited funds I'd be in reading hog heaven. I'm one of the few people who kinda likes Marvel's digital comics and subscribes to it. I've gotten to read a lot of old back issues for $60/year.

For me, it would enhance the experience because the hunt would still be a factor of it. Let's face it, some books are hard to find and even more difficult to find in grade.

Enhance because think of all the books you could own. I would build ultra high grades run of just about everything, hoard certain copies like a squirrel, and build a Geppi like museum so they could be showcased and enjoyed by my friends. :cloud9: Like a kid in a candy store with a fat wallet.

It would enhance the heck out of it. Half of what I enjoy about the hobby is finding and getting the books I want. The other half is helping my friends and fellow collectors get what they want. I've bought a few books both raw and graded for fellow forum members to help them in their collections. It's just something I enjoy doing (stupid I know). Having unlimited funds would really open that part of it up even more for me.

are financial considerations just an extremely annoying limiting factor?

(thumbs u

Wow. I honestly don't know. If I had unlimited funds, I would probably end up collecting something else because it wouldn't take long for me to get what I wanted. Seriously. Ok Mr millionaire, you won't sell me that Church Action#1? Ok, how about for a BILLION dollars!!? It'd be sold very fast, I bet and I could complete a collection too quickly. I'd probably travel like crazy to acquire ancient artifacts and then I'd be able to enjoy having "unlimited funds".

I think it would detract a little bit, just because any book is obtainable at some point if there is unlimited funds. It would be cool to be able to put together a complete run of Tecs, ASM's, FF's, etc., but choosing what to grab and what to do without is part of the enjoyment of collecting. I am not saying it wouldn't be a blast though (thumbs u

Seriously though...it would take most of the fun out of it.

My lone purchase of the year is an ASM #14 in VG. I'm thrilled and it's probably my favorite book. Unlimited funds would make even the 9.6 just "another day at the office".

I probably would spend so much time travelling that I wouldn't even have time or inclination to collect comics anymore.