• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Planet Comics and M. Whitman cover artist

127 posts in this topic

planetcomics71.jpg

I was hoping someone here can give me some info. I saw this online and fell in love with the style of art. it is M. Whitman and I think it is incredible.

Can you tell me who he is? what else he did? any other pics of his covers or art?

Maurice Whitman did a bunch of covers for Fiction House. Link with a bit of info...

Here's one of my favs!

Ghost2a.jpg

I like this cover but maybe for different reasons than the sci-fi cover... lol

Thanks for the link

I really like his work. I think these are the only two covers of his I own. Obviously he didn't limit his genres. (You could probably buy the whole Wambi series for less than a Planet.)

WambiJungleBoy17CGC75.jpg

WambiJungleBoy16CGC75.jpg

hm Here are a few Whitman covers I own. Of this batch, the Jungle is my fave -

81629.jpg

This one is very cool with its giant menacing animal heads, crocs, and a Witch Doctor too! :applause:

I really like his work. I think these are the only two covers of his I own. Obviously he didn't limit his genres. (You could probably buy the whole Wambi series for less than a Planet.)

True. But have you ever read any of those Wambi stories? Dreadful is too kind a description. I'll take Gale Allen and her All-Girl Squadron any day over the jungle brat no matter what the cost.

One of the most underrated artists of the gold/atom age. Here are some more...

planet72.jpg

planet71.jpg

ghost5-1.jpg

planet66-3.jpg

jumbo161.jpg

he seems to be a little hit or miss, but these are great. Just after I complete my 500 Adams covers I'll get these!

I was hoping someone here can give me some info. I saw this online and fell in love with the style of art. it is M. Whitman and I think it is incredible.

Can you tell me who he is? what else he did? any other pics of his covers or art?

I hate it when people force me to post these awful books again and again. :kidaround:

PlanetSetSm-1.jpg

Whitman's the "real deal." Able to draw in every genre and handle aspects of design, anatomy and background scenery and machines for both stories and covers. His work is very noticeable since almost every cover for the last couple years of FH was drawn by him (the notable exception is "The Spirit" which seem to be by Eisner). Not everything he drew is the best but the overall quality level is high with quite a few gems sprinkled among them. The Ron Goulart book on Good Girl Art has a couple of full page reproductions of his work but does not credit. The guy does not begin to get the respect he deserves, imho.

Whitman's the "real deal." Able to draw in every genre and handle aspects of design, anatomy and background scenery and machines for both stories and covers. His work is very noticeable since almost every cover for the last couple years of FH was drawn by him (the notable exception is "The Spirit" which seem to be by Eisner). Not everything he drew is the best but the overall quality level is high with quite a few gems sprinkled among them. The Ron Goulart book on Good Girl Art has a couple of full page reproductions of his work but does not credit. The guy does not begin to get the respect he deserves, imho.

Whitman is the real deal, however - many of his covers for Planet & Jungle books are ripoffs of pulp covers by Rudolph Belarski, Alan Anderson, H.J. Ward, Harry Parkhurst and others. That doesn't take away from Maurice Whitman being a fabulous artist - but it does serve for background concerning the images.

here is one image for instance

tn_startling_stories_5001_jpg.jpg

but he isn't alone.. Curt Swan swiped these 2 covers for Jimmy Olsen

tn_thrilling_wonder_stories_3812_jpg.jpg

tn_thrilling_wonder_stories_4007_jpg.jpg

Whitman is the real deal, however - many of his covers for Planet & Jungle books are ripoffs of pulp covers by Rudolph Belarski, Alan Anderson, H.J. Ward, Harry Parkhurst and others. That doesn't take away from Maurice Whitman being a fabulous artist - but it does serve for background concerning the images.

Rip-off is a bit harsh, but I dig what you're saying. We in the swiping trade prefer "homage".

In Whitman's case he's actually improving the image in terms of composition. It's a monster artist copying a monster artist. How can that be anything but good?

And, come to find out, from doing a little digging on the internets, he's self-taught. How's that for mind blowing?

http://terrororstralis.com/sheena/comics/FH-covers.htm

Rip-off is a bit harsh, but I dig what you're saying. We in the swiping trade prefer "homage".

In Whitman's case he's actually improving the image in terms of composition. It's a monster artist copying a monster artist. How can that be anything but good?

And, come to find out, from doing a little digging on the internets, he's self-taught. How's that for mind blowing?

FH comic covers were quite often based on their pulp counterparts (it was not limited to Whitman's tenure as primary cover artist). I have seen a number of comparisons and would love to see a complete comparison of those "homages/swipes." As noted above, Whitman was certainly doing a lot more than a straight swipe and the new layout and drawing is still quite good.

FH comic covers were quite often based on their pulp counterparts (it was not limited to Whitman's tenure as primary cover artist). I have seen a number of comparisons and would love to see a complete comparison of those "homages/swipes." As noted above, Whitman was certainly doing a lot more than a straight swipe and the new layout and drawing is still quite good.

Absolutely.

The weird thing is, the swiping goes both ways. Here's Renee being swiped by a pulp artist named Gross. (I'll be the first to admit I know almost nothing about the pulp artists.) And Renee was most likely referencing Doolin. Where Doolin got the image...who knows?

(Fight and Planet from comics.org and Jungle Stories from pulpartists.com)

planet34.jpg

fight40.jpg

50-SumJngl.jpg

That would be a cool project, but it would also be a tremendous undertaking. Robert Webb, for example, was a master at swiping covers and using them as panels in his Sheena stories.

Back OT: Whitman (worship)

Does anyone happen to know where the Church copy of Planet 71 is? If so, are they interested in selling?

Also, thanks to the original posters in this thread. Awesome books including Wambi. Just makes me smile every time I say the name.. Wambi...