• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Planet Comics and M. Whitman cover artist

127 posts in this topic

The coloring is particularly effective on this cover!!!

GhostComics865.jpg

Certainly the last 10 or so issues of jumbo can be tough to find. generally true of other latter day FH titles I think. Havent checked but not too many on the census I suspect! But my favourite Whitman covers have to be the Ghost covers.

Agreed. 1, 2, and 8 are the best IMO.

Ghost1.jpg

img331.jpg

Nice work, sir! This cover reminds a bit of Murphy Anderson's Brave and the Bold 61 cover. Something about the guy in the background.

The guy in the background is a swipe by Whitman from a Starman splash page by Jack Burnley. It's the face of the villain called the Mist from Adventure 67. They resurrected the same villain for B&B 61.

The guy in the background is a swipe by Whitman from a Starman splash page by Jack Burnley. It's the face of the villain called the Mist from Adventure 67. They resurrected the same villain for B&B 61.

Man, it is very awesome to have you on these boards. You always have come forward with good stuff. I can't say how cool it is to be able to talk with you guys about great comics. 30 years ago who would have imagined? Well, maybe Steve Jobs but, really who else?

Ghost4.jpg

Okay, okay... my favorites are now 1,2,4 and 8. Nice copy, man. This thread is becoming a nice little set of Whitman covers. Awesome work to all.

:gossip: #4 is my favorite Ghost, with all others not very far behind. Whitman seemed to draw with a neat 3D effect.

Jack Burnley's renderings of Starman stories were perhaps the most refined superhero art of the early forties.

hm

#4 is my favorite Ghost, with all others not very far behind. Whitman seemed to draw with a neat 3D effect.

Not only that but he used a brighter colour palate than the more pastel shades that previous Fiction House artists had been using.

What originally caught my eye about Whitman's artwork is the almost feral expressions on his damsels' faces.

:headbang:

He drew their hips and thighs to more "heroic" proportions than I prefer though.

:(

Beautiful Whitman covers allanna. :applause:

One of my favorite Whitmans is Jungle #159, which has not yet been posted in this thread. Does anyone have one to post? Adamstrange perhaps?

Jungle159.jpg

Jack Burnley's renderings of Starman stories were perhaps the most refined superhero art of the early forties.

hm

I like the way you phrased and would definitely agree!

One of my favorite Whitmans is Jungle #159, which has not yet been posted in this thread. Does anyone have one to post? Adamstrange perhaps?

Jungle159.jpg

I love that cover and I love your copy!

:luhv:

Jungle159.jpg

Unbelievable colors on this copy. Did this come out of a basement in Colorado?

Jungle159.jpg

Unbelievable colors on this copy. Did this come out of a basement in Colorado?

No. But this one did. :cool:

Jungle159church.jpg

The Church is superb but the first copy I posted is phenomenal.

Wow... do you own both? If so, and you one day decide to sell your under copy, let me know. You're right about the first book. It looks incredible and the blue is absolutely vibrant.

They are both mine