• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PROBATION DISCUSSIONS
21 21

36,203 posts in this topic

I'd think it would imply an interest in making a purchase but I don't think it constitutes an official offer. I'd hope they would have the decency to at least thank you for responding and then following up with some direction as to their inclination to purchase, i.e. "Thanks for letting me know. I'm not ready to purchase yet, but I really like that issue and might be able to buy in the next week or two."

That's just me though. Not probation thread worthy but certainly lacking in some manners if no follow up comes through.

The implication of a flat out request if the seller will accept with a dollar figure offered by the potential buyer is about 90% of the way to a firm offer. It's not like he said "what's the best discount you can give me?" and didn't like the answer. He came up with the number.

I don't think it's probation worthy either, but it's a bit of a move nonetheless.

The bolded section I quoted above is a total "blue balls" response and I don't know any seller that would feel good about getting it.

Well, for my part I usually let an owner/seller know upfront whether I'm in a position to buy right away or if I'm trying to get a feel whether it will be feasible or not. At least, I TRY to come across that way upfront. As I said in the quote you bolded (which I've underlined), that is the LEAST I'd hope for--not necessarily the standard line of conduct.

I don't think we're really too far out of sync with one another here. I won't ask that question unless I'm sitting at 90% or better on buying the book and am essentially just waiting on a few qualifying responses from the owner (disclosure, more pics needed, etc, etc).

(thumbs u

I'd think it would imply an interest in making a purchase but I don't think it constitutes an official offer. I'd hope they would have the decency to at least thank you for responding and then following up with some direction as to their inclination to purchase, i.e. "Thanks for letting me know. I'm not ready to purchase yet, but I really like that issue and might be able to buy in the next week or two."

That's just me though. Not probation thread worthy but certainly lacking in some manners if no follow up comes through.

The implication of a flat out request if the seller will accept with a dollar figure offered by the potential buyer is about 90% of the way to a firm offer. It's not like he said "what's the best discount you can give me?" and didn't like the answer. He came up with the number.

I don't think it's probation worthy either, but it's a bit of a move nonetheless.

The bolded section I quoted above is a total "blue balls" response and I don't know any seller that would feel good about getting it.

Well, for my part I usually let an owner/seller know upfront whether I'm in a position to buy right away or if I'm trying to get a feel whether it will be feasible or not. At least, I TRY to come across that way upfront. As I said in the quote you bolded (which I've underlined), that is the LEAST I'd hope for--not necessarily the standard line of conduct.

I don't think we're really too far out of sync with one another here. I won't ask that question unless I'm sitting at 90% or better on buying the book and am essentially just waiting on a few qualifying responses from the owner (disclosure, more pics needed, etc, etc).

(thumbs u

(thumbs u

I would have taken that as an offer, for sure. The only way I wouldn't have seen it as an offer is if the person said it wasn't an offer. For example, "I'm not sure I want to buy it but I was wondering if you'd take $100 if I decide I want it?" The assumption on the boards is that if you're sending a pm with a dollar figure it's an offer.

Agreed. I sometimes ask folks if they'll take a certain amount, and note something like "I really want it, but I'm not sure if can justify the expense right now," something along those lines. That doesn't seem unreasonable to me.

I remember 2 or 3 times Cap_Freak PMing me saying would you take such and such for the book...and I quickly PMed back sure, SOLD! etc...

And then no answer... :tonofbricks:

And then after a couple more hounding PMs from me Cap answering back...

"Nah, I decided I don't want it" or "Nah, I decided to buy another book instead..."

:o:boo::sumo:

lol

I don't want to make a big deal out of this as I have no problem keeping the book, BUT does anyone else besides me think this is an Offer:

Hello,

Could you go $100 Shipped within the US for this item.

Jungle Comics #150 1952 CGC 6.5 CTOW

Thanks..

Now the person decided that they offered to much and only wants to pay $75

Unbelievable????

I firmly believe that it's a dick move if you ask "would you take..." and not follow through with a purchase if that price was acceptable to the seller. It's a sleazy way to see how low you are willing to go, and only scum will use this approach. Not many things get me upset, but this is certainly one of them.

Andy

I remember 2 or 3 times Cap_Freak PMing me saying would you take such and such for the book...and I quickly PMed back sure, SOLD! etc...

And then no answer... :tonofbricks:

And then after a couple more hounding PMs from me Cap answering back...

"Nah, I decided I don't want it" or "Nah, I decided to buy another book instead..."

:o:boo::sumo:

lol

Darn, and I thought I was the only one he treated so nicely:) :tonofbricks:

(thumbs u

Unless there's an 'I'll take it' in there somewhere...conditional or otherwise...it's not a formal offer.

It's poor form, admittedly, but then it does help you identify whose PMs to answer next time. :insane:

(thumbs u

Unless there's an 'I'll take it' in there somewhere...conditional or otherwise...it's not a formal offer.

It's poor form, admittedly, but then it does help you identify whose PMs to answer next time. :insane:

I think it is bad form, too. I am interested in what you would consider, or what we should as a community consider, a formal offer so that a pm like this won't be offered up. To me, it constituted a sale when he said, "Will you take..." Thoughts?

(thumbs u

I think it is bad form, too. I am interested in what you would consider, or what we should as a community consider, a formal offer so that a pm like this won't be offered up. To me, it constituted a sale when he said, "Will you take..." Thoughts?

It's an offer when there is no other conclusion to draw other than that an offer has been made.

'Would you take...' is vague enough to throw up a number of explanations, as far-fetched as they might be.

I was only asking to ascertain what the pricing point is on this book as I have a copy of my own to sell.

There's an explanation that would fit 100% with the question.

Not very likely, but there is a loop-hole.

(thumbs u

It's an offer when there is no other conclusion to draw other than that an offer has been made.

'Would you take...' is vague enough to throw up a number of explanations, as far-fetched as they might be.

I was only asking to ascertain what the pricing point is on this book as I have a copy of my own to sell.

And in your hypothesis the unintended benefit would be that we would then be able to ascertain, beyond a shadow of a doubt, the guy asking the question is a 100% douchebagatron for blue balling the seller.

(thumbs u

And in your hypothesis the unintended benefit would be that we would then be able to ascertain, beyond a shadow of a doubt, the guy asking the question is a 100% douchebagatron for blue balling the seller.

Oh, not a doubt in my mind. :grin:

Still, it's not an offer.

But he is a tit.

(thumbs u

(worship)

Dan

Ditto, that kind of question demands to be clear in the asking. That's just like butchering the English language in a thousand ways we hear all the time. It's wrong but it's so common that most people don't see that.

Discussions like this bring up the subject and point out the problems. Hopefully this does teach some people to be very specific when they speak or write. Night,

Thanks everyone for their input. This has been very enlightening and hopefully people will be a little more specific in their choice of words.

I know as a seller, I will now will make sure I know of a potential buyers intentions before I assume anything.

Thanks everyone for their input. This has been very enlightening and hopefully people will be a little more specific in their choice of words.

I know as a seller, I will now will make sure I know of a potential buyers intentions before I assume anything.

(thumbs u

It's ridiculous that you have to do so, but when a similar question comes your way in the future, I'd recommend that you send the answer and ask the question 'do you want it at that price?'.