• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PROBATION DISCUSSIONS
21 21

36,203 posts in this topic

I got a PM from TheDanimal 7 days ago asking if i have received my order.

He hasnt even read my reply that i have not.

doh!

doh!doh!

I was under the assumption that all that stuff had been mailed.

DR.X

+1 same here until I heard from one other board member that also hasn't received his book either

doh!

doh!doh!

DR.X

+1 same here until I heard from one other board member that also hasn't received his book either

Here we go again. :ohnoez:

Very sorry to see that folks got burned again. Only been here a year, but it seems to me that this is on the increase in terms of the number of threads that have been fraudulent in some way or another. Maybe a boardie with a longer history can chime in and let us know if that is the case.

Anyway, I bailed on his thread when I saw the response to my question about references. Did not want to seem overly harsh on the new guy, but an inactive eBay account just did not do it for me. Hope that everyone can do chargebacks and get their funds back...unfortunately some really great people got taken again here.

There seems to be regular debate popping up repeatedly on ways to make the marketplace safer, but then the talk usually dies down pretty quick. I know this tags me as a state employee, but maybe a small committee to debate some ideas via pm or phone, and then return to the larger group with a list of proposals or discussion points would be helpful?

Unrelated to Grimace (more of a MachineGunned issue)...

I know not everyone agrees with this, but just my two cents...to me selling in the marketplace is a privilege (in my mind akin to driving a car), and should not a right (such as voting). It really should not be acceptable to hop on the boards and have a sale with your first post. The board admins will not stop this from happening, and largely go hands off in this section. Therefore, it is up to us to put community guidelines in place. But even though we know it is not safe to do so, we jump at the perceived bargains sometimes. Some serious thought should really be given to this, because it seems that as a group we are unable to resist (I know some individuals do, but a number do not). Not sure how to stop this, but some brainstorming may be helpful. For example, is it a good idea to require three public :takeit: completed successfully before being allowed to sell? If not, can we post warnings in the thread without being accused of being bad citizens or thread crappers? Or is it OK to comment in thread regarding someone signing up one day before the sales thread without looking like a *fork* (I honestly think some do not check before buying). Or should we just let the forces of unrestrained capaitalism to work their will and let people continue to get burned? No answers unfortunately on my end, but feel a good long talk about seeking to update the rules/requirements might be in order. (thumbs u

:gossip: And for what it is worth, I would be glad to help out in any way if needed :)

Hope everyone has a great weekend,

Heath

I gotta disagree Heath. I have no problem with people coming on here to sell their comics. If they want their first post to be a sale, that's fine. i personally won't be buying from them, but that's my own decision. There have been proposals along the lines of making people "earn" the right to sell, none of them really feasible as far as I'm concerned. Making people buy three comics? How will that help me trust that I'll get what I buy from them? Past suggestions have included making people do some sort of community service, or waiting until they've posted X number of times in various threads. All of this seems unworkable, unenforceable aside from the mods getting involved (which ain't gonna happen), and counter-productive.

If anyone feels sketchy about new sellers, just don't buy. Seems simple to me. I like to wait until a boardie I know and trust gives a seller kudos or posts in a sales thread that they received their comics and all went smoothly.

I do appreciate where you're coming from though. It'd be great if no one ever scammed anyone else around here. But so far I haven't heard any ideas that would a) address the issue, and b) not be too much of a hindrance/imposition.

I just worked out a deal with someone on 3 slabs that has 0 posts. He's supposed to send the books, then I pay.

Maybe we can do like the bike clubs do. First they have to be hang-arounds, then prospects. After at least a year on probation we can vote on having them patched in as full fledged members of this community.

DR.X

Wasn't it "Platoon" where no one wanted to know your name until you were around for a few months. hm

Edited by kdoginohio

doh!

doh!doh!

DR.X

Didn't his GF come on here and say she was going to clean up his mess? I know it wasn't her responsibility and I commend her for trying.

Good intentions Heath. I agree with most of what's being suggested.

Well since the other rules are basically self imposed, how about we all impose a post requirement for first time sellers? It isn't something which requires moderators to monitor. We could all decide on a reasonable post count(with more words than a few or a picture) that we'd like to see first. The probation list is something that we self police, board members speak up when somebody from the list jumps into the marketplace. Why not do the same thing with a minimum post count. Say 100 is needed to sell here, then assuming normal posts are made, people will get at lest an introduction to how new members think.

It still is somewhat like eBay, lots of people don't buy from low feedback new members. Regards,

I don't think a certain number of posts makes a person any more or less trustworthy.

I think it does. It eliminates the hit and run sellers who come here only

to rip us off. Number of posts is no guarantee of trust but it certainly reduces the risk.

I often buy from new board members but I'm seriously considering changing that practice.

I don't think a certain number of posts makes a person any more or less trustworthy.

to rip us off. Number of posts is no guarantee of trust but it certainly reduces the risk.

I often buy from new board members but I'm seriously considering changing that practice.

While it may eliminate a lot of the risk, you still get the CAP Freaks of this world unfortunately. Mind you, I suppose he could have been the exception to the rule.

Here is an analysis of the 1st ten or 12 people on the list:

• aaron568 (added 11/6/08) 416 posts

• BATMANFAN (added 2/9/10) 131 posts

• bkwon12 (added 10/08/09) 5 posts

• brasseye (added 7/2/09) 3169 posts

• bronzejunkie (added 3/26/07) 190 posts

• Chrissr (added 12/22/09) 65 posts

• clobberintime (added 11/7/07) 1786 posts

• comicmankev (added 3/27/07) 2269 posts

• DarkKnight2K4 (added 4/24/08) 83 posts

• donavan74 (added 3/27/07)

• erbdom (added 12/08/09) 17 posts

• ffxmen14 (added 4/12/10) 61 posts

It's 12. I can't believe you couldn't be bothered to count. And do the rest of the list you lazy mess.

Interesting...was not sold on post count, but five of the eleven on the list with post counts (one was blank) are below the 100 post threshold. A sixth (BATMANFAN) has a low enough count that he may have been under 100 at the time of the problem that got him on probation. I imagine if we do a sample of all sellers and buyers we would quite possibly find a fairly significant difference in average post count or members under 100 posts. Have to see if I still have my Systat software package and run some numbers. [where is the research geek graemlin???]

I certainly think it is an idea with debating. It really isn't a terrible burden to post 100 times before selling, I would think. Drawback of course being it would be difficult to ensure meaningful posts and not just 100 graemlins or random posts in a testing 1 2 3 thread.

Other element would be a general understanding that it would not be considered inappropriate etiquette to mention such and the accepted rule in the sales threads of such members. Does anyone think such a guideline would be inappropriate or ill-advised in any way? Personally, I think it is potentially a good idea and definitely worth checking out/thinking over hm

Perhaps a survey soliciting opinions on such would be helpful too (for those boardies who know how to generate such things and aren't the Luddite that I am) lol

Ditto, it might help to prevent half or more of the most likely bad apples. Every little bit can help.

I'm still rather new here but I hope most people know I'm a collector and not a dealer, or just somebody trying to sell stuff. I've got tons of things I'd like to get rid of, but time and the labor slow me down. That and people trust CGC grades more than mine.

The ideas are good being tossed around. Keep at it until we do find a good compromise that we can work with. Looking at those post count figures for past offenders can point to what #'s might work best, also include the time until they messed up. Regards,

It's 12. I can't believe you couldn't be bothered to count. And do the rest of the list you lazy mess.

I was actually expecting some kudos for doing a little digging. I feel like a deflated balloon. You mean, mean man.