• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PROBATION DISCUSSIONS
21 21

36,203 posts in this topic

I like this idea to some extent but am not full sold on it. There are lots of people here who dont leave any Kudos, period. They just don't do it. So the Kudos number could be misleading also. (shrug)

DR.X

Yeah, it is a cool idea. But I think I've gotten one kudo, maybe two. After what's gotta be 100 transactions.

A little tab or something that you can click to add a kudo is neat too, but it'd be so easy to abuse. Not that I think that'd matter, but if you're trying to use this as a serious way to gauge someone's honesty, it's gotta be a bit more fool-proof. The ebay feedback system limits you to one feedback per transaction, this tab could be clicked 100 times a day if someone felt like it.

It's been 30 days since I sold a book on the cgc sales forum and I'm still waiting for payment. Should I relist the book

Again here. What is the standard procedure after 30 days

I initially agreed to wait 2 weeks as part of the initial I'll take it agreeement. Later on I extended by another 14 days. Now on day 30. What's the best way to handle this.

The buyer has had plenty of time to pay for the book or get back to you.

You could put him on the probation list and have him removed if and when he pays.

I am trying to get hold of

comicseekers

Its been past 30 days since our initial agreement to sell AF15 cgc 1.0

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Board=78&Number=4192427&Searchpage=2&Main=199241&Words=SpiderTurtle&topic=0&Search=true#Post4192427

I've been trying to pm him since 09/08/10. 09/10/10 is the 30th day

Once he pays me, I will report back

I like this idea to some extent but am not full sold on it. There are lots of people here who dont leave any Kudos, period. They just don't do it. So the Kudos number could be misleading also. (shrug)

DR.X

True, but in my mind it is better than what exists at the moment. I have had boardies PM me to remind me to leave them kudos so it is possible to be mindful of it, if you aim to get a higher count of publicly acknowledged transactions.

Some sort of kudos counter or ongoing list would by no means be foolproof, but there really is nothing that would be. I think to wait for such an idea to come along would simply be to go with the status quo. Certainly a valid point of view, but I do not see any way to come up with some sort of system/add on that is without some degree of error or allows for some to go unrecognized. What I would be advicating is another data point to aid in decisions (in addition to the good word of known others, feedback in the original kudos thread, etc.). An incremental change as opposed to suggesting some sort of system that would provide univeral safety/coverage (which I agree completely is impossible)

DR.X

True, but in my mind it is better than what exists at the moment. I have had boardies PM me to remind me to leave them kudos so it is possible to be mindful of it, if you aim to get a higher count of publicly acknowledged transactions.

Some sort of kudos counter or ongoing list would by no means be foolproof, but there really is nothing that would be. I think to wait for such an idea to come along would simply be to go with the status quo. Certainly a valid point of view, but I do not see any way to come up with some sort of system/add on that is without some degree of error or allows for some to go unrecognized. What I would be advicating is another data point to aid in decisions (in addition to the good word of known others, feedback in the original kudos thread, etc.). An incremental change as opposed to suggesting some sort of system that would provide univeral safety/coverage (which I agree completely is impossible)

Perhaps with this new, proposed format, the kudos thread will actually mean more and people will make it a point to leave feedback.

DR.X

Yeah, it is a cool idea. But I think I've gotten one kudo, maybe two. After what's gotta be 100 transactions.

A little tab or something that you can click to add a kudo is neat too, but it'd be so easy to abuse. Not that I think that'd matter, but if you're trying to use this as a serious way to gauge someone's honesty, it's gotta be a bit more fool-proof. The ebay feedback system limits you to one feedback per transaction, this tab could be clicked 100 times a day if someone felt like it.

You are right that it would be easy to abuse, but it adds another layer of security that someone would have to get through. Really, the whole system is easy to abuse and based on goodwill. Even if it goes the route of being a tab someone can click 100 times a day, would it not still add another hoop for the potential con artist to jump through (and require an accomplice or shill account that the mods may catch)? And quite possibly, would some con artists not notice it in the hurry to scam someone and allow it to help serve its albeit limited function.

I guess I do not see any of the ideas catching everyone. I would hope that they instead offer an improvement and stop two or three of the next ten scammers that would try to rip folks off. Do you see something along these lines at least offering that or pretty much having no effect at all in your opinion?

DR.X

Perhaps with this new, proposed format, the kudos thread will actually mean more and people will make it a point to leave feedback.

Exactly how I see it :whee: That in and of itself offers a greater amount of information out there for the buyer who does their research.

Here is an analysis of the 1st ten or 12 people on the list:

• aaron568 (added 11/6/08) 416 posts

• BATMANFAN (added 2/9/10) 131 posts

• bkwon12 (added 10/08/09) 5 posts

• brasseye (added 7/2/09) 3169 posts

• bronzejunkie (added 3/26/07) 190 posts

• Chrissr (added 12/22/09) 65 posts

• clobberintime (added 11/7/07) 1786 posts

• comicmankev (added 3/27/07) 2269 posts

• DarkKnight2K4 (added 4/24/08) 83 posts

• donavan74 (added 3/27/07)

• erbdom (added 12/08/09) 17 posts

• ffxmen14 (added 4/12/10) 61 posts

I decided to play with the numbers a bit.

Average post count of the first 12 people on the probation thread is 744

Using the first 34 recent sales threads in the Gold/Silver/Bronze and Copper/Modern forums

skypinkblu 8048

mrlatko 1000

spideyinacase 1545

frankbearss 3336

hawkeye613 398

G.A.tor 37438

harvdoss 161

thedude 4379

divad 27494

catrick339 2834

comicartcom 1237

crimson dynamo 308

nochips 3683

lscomics 370

kingofrulers 7545

twistty1 2089

bustedflush 881

comicdey 15437

Rich Henn 7622

VTComics 3070

Spider-Dan 107

Alanna 387

Cheetah 2657

Pinky Lee Zepplin 27

Faster Friends 3520

GACollectibles 11219

jonjesper 12325

evilash 9027

frankbearss 3336

The Ressurction 18057

NightCrawler 584

Pirate 19579

Rocketeer 5528

Wolvie3579 170

Average post count is 6335

Removing the two largest post count members, Divad and G.A.tor,

from the list still yields an average of 4702 post per sales thread.

Obviously it is more dangerous to deal with low post count members. Despite that

I would hate to ban new members from buying or selling.

hm imagine if the two highest post counts were thrown out in the averaging of the probation list sample. :eek: Even without running the numbers there is pretty clearly a significant negative correlation between post count and likelihood of being placed on the probation list. Interesting how large a disparity there was between the two groups.

The main reason for me to sign up for this forum was to buy buy buy.

I spend a good amount of time in the KUDOS thread and this one before deciding on witch total stranger i would throw a wad of cash after (was looking for a WD #1)

I think the kudos thread works but could probably be refined. But like someone mentioned it's not everyone who leaves kudos so numbers would be skewed, i for one would have zero feedback as buyer (whine whine whine lol )

Keeping it updated with number of kudos (if i understand you correctly) would be a lot of work ?

just my 2c

anyone seen or heard of comicseekers? sent several messages. He said he would take a book I had in my sales thread and never followed thru on paying. He said a few weeks ago when the sales thread was over he was having some paypal stuff "transfered" and he would pay. Now notheing no word for a few weeks. ? Can someone let me know if they have dealt with him? And can he be put on the probation list.

If I remember right he was on the probation list a while back. Someone can correct me if I am wrong, but I believe there was some sort of major difficulty with bulk lot deals he was selling. To the best of my knowledge, he eventually made good and was removed from the list. Never dealt with him personally (that I remember at any rate), so not much to add except for the above. As for placing him on the list, my understanding is that it is your descretion if the :takeit: was 30 days or more ago.

I've had a few transactions (both buying and selling) with comicseekers/Sergio and they've all gone well.

Along the way, though, I discovered he's been on the probation list more than once. Going from memory and my sense of things, there's an ebb and flow to comicseekers. He'll buy and sell, and things are kosher for a while--but then problems/issues emerge. Some other folks might chime in with some chapter and verse citations, but thought a general heads up would be beneficial to the boards. It wouldn't shock me if comicseekers comes through and pays what he owes, but over the long haul, there seems to be a consistency issue.

Obviously it is more dangerous to deal with low post count members. Despite that I would hate to ban new members from buying or selling.

+1

I've been a pretty regular seller here since 2006. In that time, I've had many great experiences selling to people with extremely low post counts (in one case, the buyer literally had 0 posts and did everything through PMs)...and at least one poor experience selling to someone with 1000+ posts who dropped off the face of the earth in mid-payment.

I do get concerned when there's talk of bans and excessive hoops to jump through. There will always be a certain amount of risk buying and selling to strangers, but personally, I'd always rather err on the side of openness. 2c

Here is an analysis of the 1st ten or 12 people on the list:

• aaron568 (added 11/6/08) 416 posts

• BATMANFAN (added 2/9/10) 131 posts

• bkwon12 (added 10/08/09) 5 posts

• brasseye (added 7/2/09) 3169 posts

• bronzejunkie (added 3/26/07) 190 posts

• Chrissr (added 12/22/09) 65 posts

• clobberintime (added 11/7/07) 1786 posts

• comicmankev (added 3/27/07) 2269 posts

• DarkKnight2K4 (added 4/24/08) 83 posts

• donavan74 (added 3/27/07)

• erbdom (added 12/08/09) 17 posts

• ffxmen14 (added 4/12/10) 61 posts

I decided to play with the numbers a bit.

Average post count of the first 12 people on the probation thread is 744

Using the first 34 recent sales threads in the Gold/Silver/Bronze and Copper/Modern forums

skypinkblu 8048

mrlatko 1000

spideyinacase 1545

frankbearss 3336

hawkeye613 398

G.A.tor 37438

harvdoss 161

thedude 4379

divad 27494

catrick339 2834

comicartcom 1237

crimson dynamo 308

nochips 3683

lscomics 370

kingofrulers 7545

twistty1 2089

bustedflush 881

comicdey 15437

Rich Henn 7622

VTComics 3070

Spider-Dan 107

Alanna 387

Cheetah 2657

Pinky Lee Zepplin 27

Faster Friends 3520

GACollectibles 11219

jonjesper 12325

evilash 9027

frankbearss 3336

The Ressurction 18057

NightCrawler 584

Pirate 19579

Rocketeer 5528

Wolvie3579 170

Average post count is 6335

Removing the two largest post count members, Divad and G.A.tor,

from the list still yields an average of 4702 post per sales thread.

Obviously it is more dangerous to deal with low post count members. Despite that

I would hate to ban new members from buying or selling.

This is obviously a flawed approach tho,as i'm not even on the list,and i think i have only like 3 or 4 total Kudo's and have bought and sold probably close to $30G+ in books in the last 6 months thru the boards....

Obviously it is more dangerous to deal with low post count members. Despite that I would hate to ban new members from buying or selling.

+1

I've had many great experiences selling to people with extremely low post counts (in one case, the buyer literally had 0 posts and did everything through PMs)...and at least one poor experience selling to someone with 1000+ posts who dropped off the face of the earth in mid-payment.

I don't think it's the zero post count buyers that are the problems so much as the sellers,,

Any stats on that from the probation list ?

I don't think it's the zero post count buyers that are the problems so much as the sellers,,

You're right of course. (thumbs u Just making a general point that low post count doesn't always = untrustworthy, nor does 1-2K posts necessarily = trustworthy.

(That said, I do generally try to avoid new sellers without obvious credentials or references.)

You're right of course. (thumbs u Just making a general point that low post count doesn't always = untrustworthy, nor does 1-2K posts necessarily = trustworthy.

That said, I do avoid newbie sellers without obvious credentials or references.

I agree and so do some of the numbers.

brasseye (added 7/2/09) 3169 posts

clobberintime (added 11/7/07) 1786 posts

comicmankev (added 3/27/07) 2269 posts

I guess you just never know. But i will always be suspicious of people who sign up just to sell...