• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PROBATION DISCUSSIONS
21 21

36,203 posts in this topic

Another phone call with Paypal, they did confirm the buyer canceled the Dispute. Funds still on hold due to credit company issue, supervisor on the case.

Yeesh, what a headache. doh! Sorry to hear this Andy.

At least you're on the road to reparation instead of desperation.

It might be a longer road than necessary...and since the buyer has the books and the seller has a hole in his bank account, where Paypal removed the funds...doesn't sound like one I'd personally like to be traveling.

It doesn't sound like it's exactly good news quite yet...

Another phone call with Paypal, they did confirm the buyer canceled the Dispute. Funds still on hold due to credit company issue, supervisor on the case.

Yeesh, what a headache. doh! Sorry to hear this Andy.

At least you're on the road to reparation instead of desperation.

It might be a longer road than necessary...and since the buyer has the books and the seller has a hole in his bank account, where Paypal removed the funds...doesn't sound like one I'd personally like to be traveling.

It doesn't sound like it's exactly good news quite yet...

unless something has seriously changed, i'll vouch for john all day long. he buys huge, pays immediately. i know he got clusterfudged by ebay when selling books and doesn't come here that often. i expect this will be cleared up satisfactorily.

[quote=paperheart

unless something has seriously changed, i'll vouch for john all day long. he buys huge, pays immediately. i know he got clusterfudged by ebay when selling books and doesn't come here that often. i expect this will be cleared up satisfactorily.

He DID pay here, he just unpaid...(and yes, I made up that word;) The fact that he spends a lot, shouldn't make a difference

You don't have to be a crook, to make some rash decisions that can impact someone else. Even if $1k is not a lot to some people, it can certainly be a shock to most of us to have it disappear from your account.

John retaliated against Paypal/eBay before by refunding bidders with winning bids. There does seems to be something new, because on 9/4 he changed his pastimperfekt eBay ID and made his feedback private.

My thought is, that he got annoyed again...and that might be all well and good for him, but

canceling a transaction is not considerate once you have the goods.

Since this was a board transaction and not an eBay one covered by seller protection, the resolution is a more difficult one, meaning it can take many weeks to resolve...when even one day is too long.

It would be nice if he responded here, himself.

Edited by skypinkblu

Unfortunately the buyer's statement does not sound credible, how would a claim be initiated 3 weeks later from his credit card without his knowledge and how do you cancel a dispute you didn't start?

+1. This is messed up.

[quote=paperheart

He DID pay here, he just unpaid...(and yes, I made up that word;) The fact that he spends a lot, shouldn't make a difference

You don't have to be a crook, to make some rash decisions that can impact someone else. Even if $1k is not a lot to some people, it can certainly be a shock to most of us to have it disappear from your account.

John retaliated against Paypal/eBay before by refunding bidders with winning bids. There does seems to be something new, because on 9/4 he changed his pastimperfekt eBay ID and made his feedback private.

My thought is, that he got annoyed again...and that might be all well and good for him, but

canceling a transaction is not considerate once you have the goods.

Since this was a board transaction and not an eBay one covered by seller protection, the resolution is a more difficult one, meaning it can take many weeks to resolve...when even one day is too long.

It would be nice if he responded here, himself.

In all honesty,and i know this is just MY opinion,but it seems that this guy was once a stand-up buyer/seller.He may or may not still be, but he just seems a little "short circuited" lately.

He has stated that his "SON" is now listing and selling for him(maybe buying too?),and i have to just asume/hope that the son is the TOOL and has put the scar in John's reputation,and hopefully it's not "JOHN". 2c

Edited by kryptospidey

The bottom line was that the funds were removed from my account and that was not initiated by me, it was somehow initiated by the buyer's end(either through his Paypal account or the cc company account).

I just got off the phone with Paypal, they have released the funds back to me based on the information I have provided as well as the buyer canceling the Dispute, however, the Dispute is still active as it still needs to be settled with the cc company.

:censored: pain in the .

The bottom line was that the funds were removed from my account and that was not initiated by me, it was somehow initiated by the buyer's end(either through his Paypal account or the cc company account).

I just got off the phone with Paypal, they have released the funds back to me based on the information I have provided as well as the buyer canceling the Dispute, however, the Dispute is still active as it still needs to be settled with the cc company.

:censored: pain in the .

Yea..sorry to hear about your situation.

I would be pretty miffed myself :censored:

Please add gaijin2010 to the list. Unpaid on a couple of items, and is not responding to my PM's. He is reading them, but not responding. And I know there is at least one other person he hasn't paid.

He was supposed to complete my deal on Sept. 15th. No correspondence since then. Official d-bag status confirmed.

Just updated the probation list as I too had a transaction that went south with Gaijin2010. He put the :takeit: on a book that I was going to take to Dragon Con to get signed on 8/4/10. Because it was an ongoing thread and he was interested in buying more, I invoiced him on 8/26/10.

On 9/3/10 (during the Dragon Con), he apologized for the delay and said he'd pay later that day. On 9/14/10, he again apologized for the delay and he'd pay in the morning and send a PM to confirm receipt. That was the last PM I got from him despite a bump 3 days later on my part. I just sent him a PM notifying him that I'd be putting him here.

The book wasn't expensive, but as I got a PM the morning of the show, I got it signed and graded. Not only did he not pay for the book, but I'm out of pocket for the signing, grading, and shipping fees. I'm hoping I can recoup my losses by selling the book upon return, but I'd rather have just had the book sell to someone who was actually going to pay me in the first place.

Got a whole bunch of e-mails saying I was being put on the probation list.

When I was contacted by Andrew (GA Collectibles), this is what I wrote back:

Hi Andrew,

I know I got them and I did not charge them back. This may have something to do with my problems with paypal. Paypal has been trying to do a lot of strange things to my accounts (trapping other people's money in my paypal accounts, trying to write checks on my bank accounts without my consent, etc). They don't seem to understand that I can just call up and get this stuff straightened out (the vice-president of Bank of America who handles my accounts is a personal friend of mine).

No matter what, I will make sure you get paid.

Basically, ebay/paypal decided, because I would not fork over my social security number and other information upon demand or complete a transaction were I am convinced they blocked bidders, that all my accounts were blocked/limited. I decided that I did not want to do business with people who treated me like a criminal without appeal. All my ebay accounts have been basically dead since August 31.

[And yes I changed my ebay ids and made my feedback private when I screwed around with the accounts as much as possible before abandoning them. However, I'm not trying to hide anything, I was just pissed that I could not close them. If you really doubt this, I'll make the feedback visible again to prove it.]

The reason I cannot close my accounts is that, on August 31, I charged back all the fees from ebay/paypal from the auctions they ended or forced me to refund. They have basically been trying to get this money back ever since. Because of this, every credit card that I had on file with ebay/paypal has been canceled.

I e-mailed the situation over with Andrew and I offered to simply pay him for the books straight up (by check or money order) to avoid paypal (and he could pocket the paypal fees). He declined this offer and said he needed the money immediately. I went to paypal and, sure enough, there was an open case. I closed it and e-mailed back:

I went to the Paypal resolution center. I canceled the chargeback (there is a button saying "cancel chargeback now"). Considering the fact that I never disputed the Charge, this is all rather odd. Hopefully this ends it. However, as I said before, I will make sure, if paypal continues with this garbage, that you get paid as I have the books. I would apologize for the situation but I did not do anything. So I guess I'll just send my sympathy. Hell, anyone who has to deal with these paypal clowns has my sympathy. And I thought it was all over (except for the fact that they will never close my account supposedly). Let me know if it does not work out,

John

The day after this e-mail (it was at night) I contacted my bank. My bank told that the chargeback was initiated by paypal. I had them cancel it on their end anyways. Then I got this e-mail from Andrew:

Paypal has redeposited the funds into my account though the Dispute is still pending resolution with the cc company.

Thanks, Andrew

Does this strike anyone else as odd? Paypal releasing the funds without the dispute being over?

In any case................

1) As soon as I knew there was a problem, I dealt with it as quickly and swiftly as I could and promised to make it right, but yet......

2) Andrew (GA Collectibles) nominated me for the probation list before even getting in contact with me and then never even bothered to tell me that he did so. As far as that goes, I'll never have any use for him again, and...

3) I'm really disappointed on how everyone here passed judgment without even hearing my side (reminds me of a certain company), and also...

4) I don't know what I ever did to tick off the clown who calls himself Krytospidey but he always seems to have some sort of ax to grind against me. But I don't appreciate anyone calling my son a 'tool' in any context. Why don't you just go **** ********, *** ******** *******. Or is fill in the blanks beyond your mental capacity?

5) Put me on the bloody list if you all want, I don't care.

"The reason I cannot close my accounts is that, on August 31, I charged back all the fees from ebay/paypal from the auctions they ended or forced me to refund. They have basically been trying to get this money back ever since. Because of this, every credit card that I had on file with ebay/paypal has been canceled."

John,I'm glad you posted, and this actually clears up the mystery. Don't you think perhaps that when you initiated chargebacks...canceled the credit cards, that would have been the act that initiated the problem with the payment?

I think Andrew got caught in the aftermath of your actions, even though I'm sure that was not your original intention. I can certainly see where he would have been upset, after all he had no warning and I know he had to spend a long time on the phone trying to resolve the issue.

I hope that no one else had the same problem...perhaps you might want to just double check with anyone else you paid.

Thanks again for posting.

John,I'm glad you posted, and this actually clears up the mystery. Don't you think perhaps that when you initiated chargebacks...canceled the credit cards, that would have been the act that initiated the problem with the payment?

I think Andrew got caught in the aftermath of your actions, even though I'm sure that was not your original intention. I can certainly see where he would have been upset, after all he had no warning and I know he had to spend a long time on the phone trying to resolve the issue.

I hope that no one else had the same problem...perhaps you might want to just double check with anyone else you paid.

All I know is:

My bank will only do a chargeback if I request it.

I did not initiate this chargeback (simple to do on-line).

The credit card the chargeback was on is canceled.

The credit card was canceled over 2 weeks ago (9/3).

I ran it through a shredder and haven't thought of it since.

My bank told me paypal initiated the chargeback.

The chargeback was done weeks after the card died.

The chargeback says paypal right on it (not Andrew's id).

I can only assume this was paypal's way of trying to, once again, trap money in my account. Each time (twice, total) paypal closed one of my accounts and informed me that the money in the accounts could not be withdrawn and would be held indefinitely, I simply refunded the buyers rather than make them wait for paypal to release the funds (which I was informed could possibly take months).

I was informed by paypal that this action (refunding the money rather than letting them hold it hostage) was considered proof that I was doing something criminal and the very fact that I refunded would be held against me. In other words, they really disliked the fact that I was denying them an interest-free loan. Paypal, of course, is not regulated by Federal Banking Laws which would make this criminal for a bank to do.

After my second round of refunds, paypal tried to actually reverse the refunds. They actually succeeded in trapping some poor guy's money ($182) in the account after I refunded him and he has had to file a claim to get it back. Mind you, the money is just sitting there in my dead account and paypal is making him file a claim for it.

They also tried to hold up the largest of my final purchases (about 3k) by contacting the seller and informing him that the transaction was fraudulent. As I had already paid, he had already shipped. Despite proof of shipment and delivery, they refused to release the funds to him for well over a week anyways.

Then they tried to cash e-checks on my account without my consent (the scam was to have the seller be paid and then write an e-check in the same amount which would be deposited in the paypal account that I could no longer withdraw from). Unfortunately for them, I was able with a simple phone call to have every one of these e-checks declared fraudulent and dishonored.

I am quite aware that, if I did not have some clout with my bank, that this would have caused me immense problems.

As far as the current situation goes, all I can say is WTF?

If a total stranger walked up and hit me in the head with a hammer, I couldn't have been more surprised.

Edited by TempusFugitivus

2) Andrew (GA Collectibles) nominated me for the probation list before even getting in contact with me and then never even bothered to tell me that he did so. As far as that goes, I'll never have any use for him again, and...

Claim was initiated this 4am EST today, I have sent PM, email, left phone message since then. if the situation gets resolved I will absolutely consider requesting he get removed as I would always encourage communication before asking for someone being added to the Probation List.

Thanks,

Andrew

Basically, ebay/paypal decided, because I would not fork over my social security number and other information upon demand or complete a transaction were I am convinced they blocked bidders, that all my accounts were blocked/limited. I decided that I did not want to do business with people who treated me like a criminal without appeal. All my ebay accounts have been basically dead since August 31.

doh!

I'm guessing that everyone that sells a large volume of stuff through eBay has had this happen. It has happened to me twice. Why wouldn't you just go through the process to verify who you are and save everyone the grief.

I would see this akin to hanging up on your bank's customer service rep when they call to ask if you recently used your credit card to make a large purchase.

My take has always been that this is PP's way of making sure that things are working the way that they should and that you are who you say you are. Maybe your gripes over the ASM #1 auction triggered it, maybe not.

Maybe someone on that end thought you were trying to convenience the auction. Maybe this was their way of seeing if you were legit based on that.

But I see your angle. Be the bull, charge ahead (no pun intended). Shame is that it’s only going to serve to ruin your ability to sell and your reputation online to those that don’t know you or only have seen your name in passing.

As far as “I did not want to do business with people who treated me like a criminal without appeal”, isn’t that the way you treated PayPal? You just figured that they were out to get you because you complained/challenged. I’m guessing of the millions of transactions that they do every single day… yours was just that special to them :cloud9:

Ever think you were overacting and it was more a case of a comedy of errors and that you should just verify the account and move on with your life?

Of course maybe I’m wrong. Maybe they were out to screw with you. Maybe they wanted to jerk you around and make your experience a bad one. Maybe they wanted to hold your money and play games. Hindsight’s 20/20, eh?

Claim was initiated this 4am EST today, I have sent PM, email, left phone message since then. if the situation gets resolved I will absolutely consider requesting he get removed as I would always encourage communication before asking for someone being added to the Probation List.

Thanks,

Andrew

More importantly John, I had $1000 removed from my account through yours without you contacting me. As quoted above, you were contacted prior to posting here, by 8pm that night when I heard back from you I absolutely wanted the $1000 back immediately instead of waiting what would have been two days for a check to arrive(mo was not offered).

You didn't post my PMs where I repeatedly asked you to call me to discuss the issue, nor that I asked you to take the steps of logging into the dispute and then asked you to call your credit card company the next day when that didn't resolve the situation. I posted the information here when there was any to keep the situation updated.

I have been dealing with Paypal since the x.com days and have found them to be very reasonable to deal with regarding protecting me as a seller with the limited amount of disputes I have had over the years, they had all been dismissed as soon as I provided the information they asked for to close a case. The supervisor indicated the review of my account history, lack of excessive disputes and no abuse of the account warranted replacing funds though the cc dispute still needed to be resolved. The fact that I don't understand how Paypal can initiate a chargeback on your credit card- giving you money- is irrelevant as the funds have been replaced and will hopefully not be withdrawn later on down the line.

The purpose of the Probation Forum is to alert the community of issues regarding transactions between board members. I still feel that having $1000 withdrawn from my account due to the "Items Not Received" despite the evidence to the contrary is valid enough to be here, and I did state I would remove the Probation List request if the situation was resolved.

All I know is:

My bank will only do a chargeback if I request it.

I did not initiate this chargeback (simple to do on-line).

The credit card the chargeback was on is canceled.

The credit card was canceled over 2 weeks ago (9/3).

I ran it through a shredder and haven't thought of it since.

My bank told me paypal initiated the chargeback.

The chargeback was done weeks after the card died.

The chargeback says paypal right on it (not Andrew's id).

I can only assume this was paypal's way of trying to, once again, trap money in my account. Each time (twice, total) paypal closed one of my accounts and informed me that the money in the accounts could not be withdrawn and would be held indefinitely, I simply refunded the buyers rather than make them wait for paypal to release the funds (which I was informed could possibly take months).

I was informed by paypal that this action (refunding the money rather than letting them hold it hostage) was considered proof that I was doing something criminal and the very fact that I refunded would be held against me. In other words, they really disliked the fact that I was denying them an interest-free loan. Paypal, of course, is not regulated by Federal Banking Laws which would make this criminal for a bank to do.

After my second round of refunds, paypal tried to actually reverse the refunds. They actually succeeded in trapping some poor guy's money ($182) in the account after I refunded him and he has had to file a claim to get it back. Mind you, the money is just sitting there in my dead account and paypal is making him file a claim for it.

They also tried to hold up the largest of my final purchases (about 3k) by contacting the seller and informing him that the transaction was fraudulent. As I had already paid, he had already shipped. Despite proof of shipment and delivery, they refused to release the funds to him for well over a week anyways.

Then they tried to cash e-checks on my account without my consent (the scam was to have the seller be paid and then write an e-check in the same amount which would be deposited in the paypal account that I could no longer withdraw from). Unfortunately for them, I was able with a simple phone call to have every one of these e-checks declared fraudulent and dishonored.

I am quite aware that, if I did not have some clout with my bank, that this would have caused me immense problems.

As far as the current situation goes, all I can say is WTF?

If a total stranger walked up and hit me in the head with a hammer, I couldn't have been more surprised.

I've said this before, when you were upset about Paypal asking you for identifying information, but perhaps I was not clear.. They probably have to report to Homeland Security. There are always flags for money laundering (money that could be funneled to a terrorist organization). Apparently you were moving/involved with LARGE sums of money.

It probably raised a flag. In my experience as a call center manager, that's how it works. A flag comes up and more into is needed before funds can be released. Very simple and there are many checks in calls centers to prevent personal "vendettas" from employees. I'm SURE you were not the only person who called up all upset, it happens all the time. People get frustrated and tend to yell more over the phone than they would face to face. I doubt it triggered something personal.

I'm not saying that you did anything illegal, or every would, however, I think you lose your temper and lose sight of the situation.

As Frank said, it sounds like there was a simple fix in the beginning.

I don't understand the whole private feedback thing. I'm not sure what "damage" you tried to inflict, but if you did...it kind of sounds a little childish.

Last I read (on other thread) you were moving on and selling books under your alternate ID. and it was fixed, and you were happy...but it seems you took other actions shortly after.

Instead of being angry at Andrew...I think you owe him (and anyone else you inconvenienced) an apology.

I hope you get some enjoyment out of the hobby...it's not always about "winning"...it's how you play the game.

You have a fantastic collection, and a lot of good fortune. I hope you let the anger go and enjoy it. Life is just too short. :foryou:

Edited by skypinkblu

Frankbearss:

Are you in love with paypal or something? I would have had no problem verifying myself for paypal if they would have worked with me. But they froze my accounts and informed me that they needed to run a complete credit check on me that could take weeks (for the crime of selling 90k worth of books in one month). When I complained about the immense problems this would cause with the buyers, their reply was: "So what."

Rather than hold the buyers' funds for what could have been over a month, I did what I felt was right. I informed everybody of what had happened, told them I would refund the money, and would be happy to work out a deal with them [quite a few took me up on it, some ignored the offer, and one clown - on the Boards here as Wampler - lost his small mind over it.] As soon as I refunded the money, I had a major problem.

After I refunded the money, I was informed that this was proof that I was some sort of criminal and, because of this action and the two buyer complaints, my account was suspended. I called paypal and asked to talk to someone in charge. I got this ******* who was supposedly a supervisor. I told him the whole situation. His reply was basically: I could care less. I told him I wanted to talk to someone above him. He said there is no one above him.

At this point, it was no longer about verification (which I would have done).

Paypal's problem was with the refunds and buyer complaints

I had not tried to hide anything from this ******* because I wasn't trying to do anything wrong. After I talked to him, every paypal and ebay account of mine and every person in my family was limited/suspended over a period of two weeks. My other auctions on ebay were canceled. I called up and tried to talk to someone else. I was simply told that there was no appeal and no one higher up I could talk to.

Over the course of the month of August, I wasted hours and hours on the phone with this. At no point did anyone from ebay/paypal treat me with any respect or consideration. At no point did anyone from ebay/paypal even give a damn about my problems or my business. So I eventually, after one solid month of , said to hell with it. I closed everything and charge-backed the fees for the services they did not perform.

I walked away.

Would I have done things differently if I knew how it would turn out? Of course. But I am not some angry bull in a china shop. I tried for one straight month to work this out like a reasonable person. No one from ebay/paypal had any interest.

GA Collectibles:

My point is simply this:

1) Before you ever got in contact [not just attempted to contact], you nominated me for the probation list (is there not a 30 day requirement?).

2) After you did contact me, you did not even bother to tell me that you had nominated me for the probation list.

3) I assured you that I had not caused the problem and I would make sure that you got paid. I immediately offered to pay you straight up.

4) While I communicated with you, you kept updating stuff in the probation thread without giving me any credit or telling me about the probation list.

5) At all times, your only concern was that you instantly got the money (once again, is there not a 30 day requirement?) because you needed it right now.

And everyone accuses me of being rash?

Excuse me if I took this personally but I've got no use for you.

5) At all times, your only concern was that you instantly got the money (once again, is there not a 30 day requirement?) because you needed it right now.

Despite your protestations that you had nothing to do with it the Dispute was a direct result of YOUR previous actions. The Probation thread allows for less than 30 day scenarios, having someone file an "Items Not Received" claim against me when that wasn't accurate is grounds enough to potentially expedite the process.

I don't need an apology, but take ownership of your responsibility and quit trying to lame blame on others. I didn't send you money back, it was taken via YOUR account. Why should I have wait any time to get it back?

Skypinkblu-

Lord, you must think I walk around so angry all the time that I'm just one maniacal rage from stroking out.

But I am not an angry person at all. I don't walk around pissed off all the time. I'm actually quite happy and have a warped sense of humor. I try very hard to be considerate of others because I personally have been very blessed. And simply 'winning' is nowhere near the top of my agenda list (my kids and wife are at the top with nothing else near them).

I admit that I have a temper. As I tried to work this out, I did lose my temper at various points (the lengths paypal and ebay go to make it hard to contact them is nothing short of remarkable). But I am able to be quite reasonable and I tried my hardest to do just that for one solid month. But no one from ebay/paypal ever had any interest in working anything out.

In retrospect, the entire experience was like some Kafka nightmare. Everything I did seemed to simply make the situation worse. I always thought that, if I could simply talk to someone in charge, it could be worked out easily. But it became apparent that that was never going to happen.

So I walked away from all this weeks ago with the assumption that it was over. It simply wasn't worth my time. All this came as a surprise. And I don't feel the need to apologize to anyone for the simple reason that I did nothing worth apologizing for. I personally did not inconvenience anyone.

Two other things:

1. Making the feedback private was not some childish thing. My ebay accounts are limited (I can actually still bid, I just cannot pay by paypal). At that point (early September), I was simply testing what was still possible. I made the feedback private while seeing what I still could do. As the accounts are now basically dead and I have no interest in doing any business with ebay, I just did not bother to un-private them again. It's as simple as that.

2. In some ways, the whole ebay/paypal thing was a blessing. It's something I did with my son. But he's in love (will wonders never cease) and barely interested now. And my own collecting has moved to things not well served at all by ebay (Golden Age). So I thank you for your concern, but I'm good.

Despite your protestations that you had nothing to do with it the Dispute was a direct result of YOUR previous actions. The Probation thread allows for less than 30 day scenarios, having someone file an "Items Not Received" claim against me when that wasn't accurate is grounds enough to potentially expedite the process.

I don't need an apology, but take ownership of your responsibility and quit trying to lame blame on others. I didn't send you money back, it was taken via YOUR account. Why should I have wait any time to get it back?

As I already said, I did not do the chargeback. I'm not going to take responsibility or apologize for anything that I am not responsible for. You don't believe me? I don't care. I think the fact that you didn't even bother to tell me you tried to put me on the probation list is quite rude. You don't want to give me any credit for immediately telling you that I would make sure that you got paid? Fine. You couldn't even wait to discuss anything with me? No problem. If you were not in such a yank, I would have sent you the money and you could have pocketed the paypal fees.

As for this, we can simply agree to disagree and its over.