• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PROBATION DISCUSSIONS
21 21

36,203 posts in this topic

I'm new to this site and wasn't aware that it would come full circle. I just wanted a $700/$800 book at the better price, as any consumer would.

Translation....I didn't know I'd get caught breaching my deal.

I'm not feeling as stringent about this as jaybuck43 obviously is, but I'd say you're gonna find yourself on the PL of the best place to buy comics, and you should avoid that if possible. Buy the comic, you wanted it yesterday, and leave yourself open to an excellent marketplace that will look out for you in the future just as it's looking out for jjeanius right now.

I agree with this logic - pay what you agreed to pay & drive on...at this point who knows whether the seller wants to complete anyways.

Also, I will be voting "no" when Jaybuck starts his HOS poll. lol

I'm not feeling as stringent about this as jaybuck43 obviously is, but I'd say you're gonna find yourself on the PL of the best place to buy comics, and you should avoid that if possible. Buy the comic, you wanted it yesterday, and leave yourself open to an excellent marketplace that will look out for you in the future just as it's looking out for jjeanius right now.

I agree with this logic - pay what you agreed to pay & drive on...at this point who knows whether the seller wants to complete anyways.

Also, I will be voting "no" when Jaybuck starts his HOS poll. lol

I agree. (thumbs u

No athaxto its not. You've agreed to the sale. You had a contract for sale (he agreed to sell you the book at x cost, you agreed to pay that cost) Thats a sale. You burned yourself.

Again, using your example, I never signed the contract. If I had accepted the PayPal invoice only to then cancel it, THEN there might be a contract issue there to be upset about.

But I never accepted his PayPal invoice, no money was sent, no book was ever sold to me, thus no deal was formally struck.

I work in contracts all day long.

I kinda doubt that you do. If you did you would know that your signature is only necessary to satisfy the statute of frauds and that your ascension to the deal is more than enough to bind you to a deal. So if I agree to sell you 100 widgets on January 15th for 1000 dollars and you say "Send me the invoice" that is taken as your agreement to the deal. You are bound to it. You broke your deal.

let try to explain it this way as I think the Best Buy analogy has muddied it.

On this board, if you say "I'll take it" "I'll buy it" or in your case "invoice me" that means you have made a binding agreement to buy the book, whether the transaction was at a comic convention, a local yard sale, on ebay or here. you agreed to buy the book, not paying for it is a different matter all together.

And on "this board," I did actually pay for the book that I said "I'll take" when I sent money to Hulk.

Again, had I known that Court was a member here and that his eBay OFFER would mean the same thing, I would have done things differently.

Check it out: none of that matters. You're either gonna complete the deal or you're going on the Probation List. I highly recommend completing the deal and buying tons of comics here for years to come. Eventually you're gonna laugh at yourself for ever buying on eBay.

The thing about the PL is, it serves two purposes: one is to get transactions completed, and the other is to warn each other about Boardies we may have trouble completing deals with. Right now, there's trouble completing a deal with you. We're a small community and we don't have to worry about the legal definition of contracts or whatever.

No athaxto its not. You've agreed to the sale. You had a contract for sale (he agreed to sell you the book at x cost, you agreed to pay that cost) Thats a sale. You burned yourself.

Again, using your example, I never signed the contract. If I had accepted the PayPal invoice only to then cancel it, THEN there might be a contract issue there to be upset about.

But I never accepted his PayPal invoice, no money was sent, no book was ever sold to me, thus no deal was formally struck.

I kinda doubt that you do. If you did you would know that your signature is only necessary to satisfy the statute of frauds and that your ascension to the deal is more than enough to bind you to a deal. So if I agree to sell you 100 widgets on January 15th for 1000 dollars and you say "Send me the invoice" that is taken as your agreement to the deal. You are bound to it. You broke your deal.

Yeah. Statute of frauds. Ascension. :sumo:

It's your call m'man. But take my word for it...There is not a single better place to buy comics, and certainly no better place to network for that hard-to-find issue. Not ebay, conventions, Heritage, LCSes ... nowhere.

This. I started buying heavily on here in the last calendar year, and my only regret is that it took me that long to wade into the pool. I used to do most of my purchasing at shows and online dealer sites (with the occasional shop thrown in), but now, 95% of my buying has been right here, and I've been fortunate to get great deals on great books from a bunch of great people. :cloud9: I'd rather get kicked in the family jewels for an hour straight than do anything that would mess up my reputation here. But that's just me. (shrug)

Anyone can send unsigned contracts out to whomever all day long, but if they're not accepted/signed/etc...they mean nothing.Verbals mean nothing when no transaction takes place.

Again, the eBay sale never ended, the book was never sold to me, I never agreed to the PayPal invoice. Payment due when services rendered. It's clear as day.

Edited by Athaxto

No he is not. Just because he doesn't pull the listing does not affect your sale in the least bit. If I came later and bought the book on eBay, that is MY problem with Court, not yours. You agreed to a deal. His advertising it as being sold or not means nothing to your deal. If I go into Best Buy and they advertise that they are having Closeout deals and they have one TV left and I buy it, and they don't take down the listing, that doesn't relieve my duty to pay or their duty to deliver.

I didn't ever buy Court's book. Big difference. Using your example, I was in line at the checkout at Best Buy, but I decided to put the TV back on the shelf and buy elsewhere. As a consumer, that's my right to do so.

All this boils down to is sour grapes. Court is upset that his sale went elsewhere, and he's burning me on these boards because of it.

While I think Jaybuck's analogy is still basically correct, I do not doubt that you are/were sincerely unaware of the culture of the Boards, and what counts here as proper practice. I think at this point it may come down simply to what Speedy said, that you must now decide whether you will adopt these rules and continue here, or not, and simply leave.

In one sense this is not Best Buy, it is true, there is no physical retail space with objects you can pick up and "check out" with, and for that reason the transaction here is shortened and embodied in the simple act of saying "I'll take it", and that is meant to make simple and concrete what elsewhere is more complicated.

So here if you ask for an invoice that is the same as "I'll take it" which is a deal, which is a purchase. Here, in those terms, you have bought the item.

On this board, if you say "I'll take it" "I'll buy it" or in your case "invoice me" that means you have made a binding agreement to buy the book, whether the transaction was at a comic convention, a local yard sale, on ebay or here. you agreed to buy the book, not paying for it is a different matter all together.

And on "this board," I did actually pay for the book that I said "I'll take" when I sent money to Hulk.

Again, had I known that Court was a member here and that his eBay OFFER would mean the same thing, I would have done things differently.

this defense is not going to work here. trust me.

It's done when you hit the BIN or win the bid,then you requested the invoice to be sent to you.Am I missing something?

I didn't win a bid. We discussed numbers, I asked for an invoice, but never accepted it. The book was never sold to me.

sounds like he accepted your offer when he sent you the invoice, not once but twice

Check it out: none of that matters. You're either gonna complete the deal or you're going on the Probation List. I highly recommend completing the deal and buying tons of comics here for years to come. Eventually you're gonna laugh at yourself for ever buying on eBay.

The thing about the PL is, it serves two purposes: one is to get transactions completed, and the other is to warn each other about Boardies we may have trouble completing deals with. Right now, there's trouble completing a deal with you. We're a small community and we don't have to worry about the legal definition of contracts or whatever.

Bout sums it up in a nutshell.

If an eBay transaction is completed, isn't the listing automatically closed? It's not up to the seller to close it. I don't get that part.

The eBay transaction was never completed. That's my point. I found a better offer before I made the purchase, and I acted on it.

Does that mean you accepted the counter offer, but didn't finish the Paypal checkout?

No. There was no formal acceptance via eBay. I never accepted the PayPal invoice because the book was still listed for sale on eBay many hours after I asked for an invoice, I assumed the deal wasn't officially done.

lol

digging_zps2e095fa0.gifdigging_zps2e095fa0.gifdigging_zps2e095fa0.gifdigging_zps2e095fa0.gif

Yeah. Statute of frauds. Ascension. :sumo:

Sorry, day job bleeds in here every now and then lol

It's done when you hit the BIN or win the bid,then you requested the invoice to be sent to you.Am I missing something?

I didn't win a bid. We discussed numbers, I asked for an invoice, but never accepted it. The book was never sold to me.

How many different versions of this story are there? lol

This is better than one of those "choose your own adventure" books.

I bought it, but I didn't buy it, I told him I'd buy it, then I didn't buy it, I'm a conscious consumer, my business ethics are in a coma, I didn't win a bid... :blahblah:

Your first response was the most honest, you wanted it cheaper, you found it cheaper, you dropped Court like a prom date with mono, you came here to buy the book thinking it would never come back to bite you...now that it has come back to bite you the spin machine is in over drive.

sounds like he accepted your offer when he sent you the invoice, not once but twice

But he never ended the sale on eBay. If it's still available for sale to the public for 12+ hours after he sends an invoice, it can't exactly be sold to me now can it?

Bro, I'm about to sic HusTruck on you! lol

But he never ended the sale on eBay. If it's still available for sale to the public for 12+ hours after he sends an invoice, it can't exactly be sold to me now can it?

Bro, I'm about to sic HusTruck on you! lol

Bro, don't do it! :ohnoez: