• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PROBATION DISCUSSIONS
21 21

36,203 posts in this topic

If the fees are up front, it is not probation worthy.

Whatever the fee, shipping, handling, insurance, buyers premium, or tax. If the fee is disclosed upfront and I agree to it, the deal is done.

I'm afraid not my friend. This has been discussed at length before. The buyer did not get what he paid for.

I thought he was buying books?

This seems like (yet another) PL nomination where both buyer and seller come out looking like mess.

I can't remember the last time one of these "nominee/nominator" combo's wasn't a two-fer on the personal list.

:insane:

Buyer needs to clarify if he only "paid for" priority/insured or they both "agreed to" priority/insured on that first shipment.

If there's no specific agreement on services & this buyer just accepted paying a price that was "an amount that would cover priority/insurance" then buyer has no claim with regard to first shipment.

Let's dance. :banana:

This seems like (yet another) PL nomination where both buyer and seller come out looking like mess.

I can't remember the last time one of these "nominee/nominator" combo's wasn't a two-fer on the personal list.

:insane:

Buyer needs to clarify if he only "paid for" priority/insured or they both "agreed to" priority/insured on that first shipment.

If there's no specific agreement on services & this buyer just accepted paying a price that was "an amount that would cover priority/insurance" then buyer has no claim with regard to first shipment.

If this is the case, then it's probably not PL worthy. I just wouldn't want to deal with the seller myself because that's still shady.

On the other hand, if the buyer can provide proof that certain methods were discussed (which shouldn't be hard since he already said he specifically asked for priority/insurance), I think it is.

Whatever the fee, shipping, handling, insurance, buyers premium, or tax. If the fee is disclosed upfront and I agree to it, the deal is done.

I'm afraid not my friend. This has been discussed at length before. The buyer did not get what he paid for.

I agree that he got the books as described but if he was offered priority and didn't get that service then what did he pay for?

For me the buyer should be happy with the books. I'm not the buyer.

I agree that he got the books as described but if he was offered priority and didn't get that service then what did he pay for?

It seems the buyer was going to let it slide after hearing the seller's predicament after the first order. But then when the seller was allegedly buying more books and shipped the second order without using the method paid for, the buyer didn't want to let it slide.

It seems the buyer was going to let it slide after hearing the seller's predicament after the first order. But then when the seller was allegedly buying more books and shipped the second order without using the method paid for, the buyer didn't want to let it slide.

Fool me once. Fool me twice.

hm I learn yet another loophole in the system.

So someone can sell books, charge for the highest shipping methods (lets say Priority with insurance) and ship (lets use the worst example, media mail) and there is nothing wrong with it as long as the item arrives safely? Yeah, that doesn't seem like a slippery slope at all...

There is way too much debate here. If the buyer is overcharged on shipping, whether or not it was sent first class or priority, he should get a refund. Plain and simple.

What was the shipping quote and what was the shipping cost? If there is more than a few dollars discrepancy the seller should refund the difference.

Exactly Mike!

A good seller would never do that. I bought 3 giant boxes of extremely heavy hardcovers , trades and omnibuses from Miraclemet last month. He sent me a message saying that he was off on his estimate on the 3 boxes by $5 and wanted to refund me the money. I told him no way, that was a lot of work to package and ship. He refunded it anyway because he is that honest of a guy. How anyone could think it is ok to overcharge on shipping by a large about like $20+ dollars is beyond me, especially when a cheaper shipping method was used. That just seems shady.

hm I learn yet another loophole in the system.

So someone can sell books, charge for the highest shipping methods (lets say Priority with insurance) and ship (lets use the worst example, media mail) and there is nothing wrong with it as long as the item arrives safely? Yeah, that doesn't seem like a slippery slope at all...

It's like renting a limo and a bicycle picks you up. They can both get you to your destination but riding the handlebars isn't what you paid for.

There is way too much debate here. If the buyer is overcharged on shipping, whether or not it was sent first class or priority, he should get a refund. Plain and simple.

What was the shipping quote and what was the shipping cost? If there is more than a few dollars discrepancy the seller should refund the difference.

Agreed. But if he doesn't - Probation List? (shrug)

Why not?

If people are placed on the list for not completing a transaction, when there is no real loss, then why would someone who overcharges and actually causes a real loss not be a candidate?

If a person (not saying this seller did) intentionally scams someone on shipping, I would think so. If this was simply a mistake and shipping terms were not specifically agreed upon then I would say most likely not. Either way, refunding all or a portion of that shipping charge seems to be the right thing to do.

Of course. If one boardie owes another and refuses to pay that is the whole point of the list.

Why not?

If people are placed on the list for not completing a transaction, when there is no real loss, then why would someone who overcharges and actually causes a real loss not be a candidate?

Because the list has become such a joke nobody knows when to laugh.

Why not?

Because the list has become such a joke nobody knows when to laugh.

Would a simple selling template help alleviate a lot of the confusion with terms and shipping costs?

If a template were stickier somewhere and each seller could simply fill in thee values and titles for books along with exact shipping fees. It would keep misunderstandings to a minimum.

Well maybe since the seller has read all this... he will see it's not worth the $20 - $30 hassle and do the refund.

No sense rushing to put the guy on the PL... give him a chance to mull it over and do a little hm ... then hopefully he will make what he feels is the right decision.

The PL list doesn't always have to be like the first time you've had sex you know... it can be a slow and easy process... nurturing too ;)

:foryou:

Exactly Mike!

A good seller would never do that. I bought 3 giant boxes of extremely heavy hardcovers , trades and omnibuses from Miraclemet last month. He sent me a message saying that he was off on his estimate on the 3 boxes by $5 and wanted to refund me the money. I told him no way, that was a lot of work to package and ship. He refunded it anyway because he is that honest of a guy. How anyone could think it is ok to overcharge on shipping by a large about like $20+ dollars is beyond me, especially when a cheaper shipping method was used. That just seems shady.

+1

I could see overcharging by $5 or so. But there's no excuse for $20+. Now the buyer just needs to provide the PMs where he asked for a certain shipping method and insurance. He's already provided the tracking to show which method was ultimately used, but we need to see his request for priority/insurance.