• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PROBATION DISCUSSIONS
21 21

36,203 posts in this topic

Swagacorn, Be a person of honor and keep your word. Nothing is worth losing your honor over and being known as a liar and a cheat.

that all sounds good in theory, but sadly the list keeps getting longer and longer with knuckle heads.

Book was Brave and The Bold 28 5.5 I spent the money I have been saving for 3 years on it.

Well, I hope whatever you saved was worth it.

Sorry dude, but you shot yourself in the foot on this one. My suggestion would be to sell the one you bought from the LCS guy for as close to what you'd be paying Iceman for his, and follow through with the originally agreed purchase. It's pretty much your only option on this one unless he's willing to work out something else with you. You might end up with a couple bucks saved instead of what you saved by buying from the LCS guy, but your reputation here (and your ability to buy & sell) will be mostly restored.

Book was Brave and The Bold 28 5.5 I spent the money I have been saving for 3 years on it.

B&B 28. Great book. Great taste.

The following is just my opinion, so take it for what it is worth. If you think I am an insufficiently_thoughtful_person, then you are probably not alone in your thoughts. I have been called worse. Here is how I see it.

Collecting (comic books or anything else) is about more than just seeing which books (or other items) you can accumulate. If your goal is simply to accumulate a room (or house) full of books, than your collecting ambition is one that I pity (for you will have missed the joy of the hobby and will never be satisfied).

Collecting is about being able to look at a book and have it bring a warm feeling to you. Perhaps it brings back a childhood memory of a book you read as a child. Perhaps the artwork stirs something in your soul. Perhaps there is a story behind how you found it, or the guy that sold it to you. Perhaps it is holding the grail that you saved 3 years to buy. Perhaps it is a lot of things, but the important thing is that it brings you some measure of happiness.

In the years to come, when you look at or hold this B&B 28, that you now have, what memories will it bring? Will they be happy memories or will there always be something in your gut that tells you, that you did the wrong thing (every time you look at it)?

I don't know about you, but if I spent 3 years of my life saving for a book, I would want it to be one that I could proudly display (without shame). I would want it to be one that I could hold in my hand and get a feeling inside that made the cost seem insignificant.

I am proud of the collection of books I have. I am proud that I earned each and every one of them. I am proud that I never lied or cheated to obtain any of them. I am proud of my name in the collecting field and on these boards. My name and my reputation mean far more to me than any of these books.

Swagacorn, when you look into the mirror, what do you see? Are you happy with the person looking back at you? Are you proud of that person? Do you want to be proud of that person?

Swagacorn, when you look at that B&B 28, how does it make you feel inside? Does it give you the feeling you thought you would have? Will that book ever give you that feeling (knowing how you obtained it by breaking your word with a fellow collector)?

Everyone makes mistakes. No one walks on water. I have made more than my share of mistakes. When we make mistakes, however, it is our duty to make them right in any way that we can.

Contact Iceman and figure out how you can make it right. Perhaps then you will feel better when you look into the mirror. Perhaps then you will be able to hold that grail up without shame.

There is never a wrong time to do the right thing.

what is the 30 day rule

You have 30 days from the time of agreement to buy/sell the item to follow through and complete the transaction. After 30 days if the transaction is not complete a wronged party may nominate for the PL.

I never agreed to buy it I said,I was interested in it and asked him for first time buying what is the safest way to pay someone

Sweet.....a new version of the story.

That one's far less damaging to you than this one:

Wanted to apologize for not purchasing the book, thought that I was going to buy it from you but then bought it from a guy from my lcs named Antonio. Thought it was ok to say nevermind to the transaction because I never had you send it to me or anything. I hope very much that you are able to sell it and make more money you were a great salesman and I'm sorry, but it's my first time trying to buy from a forum and I didn't know how it works. also if you are going to sell it wait a month you will thank me for not buying it later.

I never agreed to buy it I said,I was interested in it and asked him for first time buying what is the safest way to pay someone

So what exactly did you say in your PM?

At this point, asking him to paraphrase might not be advisable.

Let's get Antonio in here!

Contact Iceman and figure out how you can make it right. Perhaps then you will feel better when you look into the mirror. Perhaps then you will be able to hold that grail up without shame.

There is never a wrong time to do the right thing.

Do this. Period.