• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PROBATION DISCUSSIONS
21 21

36,203 posts in this topic

Heck, even GI Joe was not a bad kid, he just made a huge mistake but was extremely business savy for his age.

But wasn't he being tutored by his dad if I remember making it seem o.k. to scam people or something like that?

Heck, even GI Joe was not a bad kid, he just made a huge mistake but was extremely business savy for his age.

But wasn't he being tutored by his dad if I remember making it seem o.k. to scam people or something like that?

the father was definitely an enabler

the father was definitely an enabler

Yes indeed. I did 1 deal with GIJOE and almost a few others. It wasn't until Chris (comix4fun) raised questions that I took a hard look at the PMs and then I suspected half the time I had been negotiating with the father.

I ended up not voting for HoS for GIJOE, I felt the PL was proper for the kid, the shame portion of it belonged to the father. I accept his inclusion as just as the decision of the community, but when I see that name on the list I think of the father's responsibility for how far things went. 2c

If you watched the videos on the father's Facebook page, I don't think he really understood what his son was doing. I think he was just a proud father that his son took an interest in something innocent like comic books and not turning out to be a "bad" kid. His father talked about his son's great negotiating skills when he brought him to a local Con. I really don't think this was a criminal conspiracy between the two of them.

If you watched the videos on the father's Facebook page, I don't think he really understood what his son was doing. I think he was just a proud father that his son took an interest in something innocent like comic books and not turning out to be a "bad" kid. His father talked about his son's great negotiating skills when he brought him to a local Con. I really don't think this was a criminal conspiracy between the two of them.

I agree there was no criminal conspiracy, and most of it I'm sure was innocent enough excitement from the father that his son was actually showing some intelligent initiative to make a few dollars. Probably most fathers would be thrilled at that prospect. lol

At any rate I do believe, albeit I cannot prove, that the father took a more direct interest sometimes in the course of discussions, and insofar as it got that far he also had a responsibility (and as a businessman himself, I believe) to teach some business ethics and to help the kid steer clear of the train wreck it turned into by the end.

I don't think so either. His parents even inspected any shipments that he got to make sure there was nothing inappropriate in there. The kid made a lot of mistakes and the return scam was inexcusable but I know he did a few nice things for people as well on here so he was not an evil kid or anything.

I don’t recall precisely GIJOEISAWESOME case (or did not follow it) but basically the bad thing was that he lied.

I appreciate the fact Swagacorn stopped pretending and admitted his age, I am sure a lot of people would have done a lot badder if there was Internet as an option when they were boys… lol

Aside from this, I started collecting at 14, and started to buy wartime material (italian Disney comics) when I was 16, so I can just sympatize and I’m sure he will learn not to lie and/or cheat…

Heck I mailed ordered all my comics at 14. I remember scraping together change so I could get my mom to write a check for me.

I would ground my child for so long he would think he was in prison if I found out about that. If they lived close by I would drive him over and cut their grass as well to drive the point home.(Id go to the local comic shop while he was mowing.)

Heck I mailed ordered all my comics at 14. I remember scraping together change so I could get my mom to write a check for me.

I would do the same thing but with model rockets. I cut a few lawns on the block for two dollars and picked up pop bottles for the nickel deposit. Then it was a nerve racking game waiting for the mailman to deliver my kits.

I would do the same thing but with model rockets. I cut a few lawns on the block for two dollars and picked up pop bottles for the nickel deposit. Then it was a nerve racking game waiting for the mailman to deliver my kits.

Longest 6-8 weeks of a kids life.

There were really no good skate shops here yet in the early 90's, so we'd order decks from California.

It would only take a week or two but if your current board was in rough shape or broken, it was the longest few days ever.

How does a 14 year old have enough money to buy a BB 28 in 5.5?

I barely had enough money for women and booze when I was 14.

Maybe he never did have the money and just used the comic book store as an excuse for not paying

How does a 14 year old have enough money to buy a BB 28 in 5.5?

I barely had enough money for women and booze when I was 14.

Maybe he never did have the money and just used the comic book store as an excuse for not paying

Even though he lied about his age, he seemed like a decent kid, overall. I just checked the terms of use twice. The legal posting age is 16. Maybe he will return in a few years.