• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PROBATION DISCUSSIONS
21 21

36,203 posts in this topic

All this talk of chips is making me hungry.

These pretzels are making me thirsty!!!

These pretzels are making me thirsty

Still ramping up that post count :baiting:

Did you mean

Still ramping up that post count or

Still ramping up that post count ?

Buzz, I believe this is the HOS vote for the Neelys you're looking for:

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=6814020#Post6814020

If my math is correct, that would be 113 yes votes, and 2 no votes -- 98% for admission.

In theory, one could assume the Neelys were the ones who voted no, but since their accounts were swiftly banned (I think) for arguing with/threatening people in multiple Comic General threads, it's entirely possible they were not the no voters, though there's no way to be 100% sure in any case.

I wouldn't be shocked if someone on the boards voted no for them.

Hell, we could have put Manson up for an HOS vote and there would be at least 3 people that would vote "NO" and cite that he's a "family man".

I voted a resounding "Yes" for the Neelys, and got into it with one of them (Thomas, not the wife) in one of the many threads they ended up being involved in before the ban hammer was dropped on both of their accounts (at least two threads dealing with them have been deleted, largely due to something offensive posted in them).

That said, at the time, they looked more like inept scammers than what they turned out to be -- for anyone who doesn't know, read the article linked below to see how dangerous a man Thomas Neely actually is/was.

http://www.wbtv.com/story/23583633/wife

The huge percentage in favor of "Yes" could easily be attributed to their completely lack of remorse and combative attitude towards the members here as much as their actions at the time (which were still criminal and fraudulent). As stated, a number of members here looked upon them as a bad joke more so than master criminals -- the photo-shopped picture of their living room, being a prime example of that attitude. We didn't know how bad of an apple we were dealing with until long afterward, when the news of the worse criminal activity came to light.

There's always "no" votes in these polls -- Symbiotic was an admitted shiller on eBay and multiple offender, who claimed he wouldn't do it again and them promptly did, if I remember correctly, making him a confirmed thief and fraudster -- and yet 20 votes were against his induction. I believe there was debate over whether he belonged in the same class as people like TFL -- who basically defaulted on a five figure deal -- as some people believe the HOS should only represent that. As a comparable example, the Major League Baseball HOF sees the same mentality in its voting, which is why no one has ever been elected unanimously so far (and probably never will). GIJOEISAWESOME had people who didn't vote for the HOS because -- this will sound familiar -- some believed there were extenuating circumstances involved (mainly his age, and some didn't want him on there since he seemed less of a thief than simply immature and over his head -- and possibly influenced negatively by his father -- and some wanted him to be able to return when he was of age to do so). CapFreak, another underage poster, didn't even get a vote if I'm correct -- I think he was simply added due to his defiant middle-finger to the boards reply to his actions before he was banned outright (Red Rocks may have been in the same sinking boat, as I can't find a poll for him either -- anyone who can, please link to it).

The final note on this should be that the process we have here to protect the community as a whole -- while never perfect -- worked. The community as a whole who participated made their voices heard on all sides of the debate, we weighed what we had in front of us, we voted, and the result is in, based on the facts of the case brought against Chip. What happens next to Chip is in his hands and his alone. Anyone still waiting on anything from him, I hope you're made whole as you should be, and that Chip does the right thing with his responsibilities -- and hopefully we won't be looking at another debate like this for a while. :wishluck:

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=6814020#Post6814020

If my math is correct, that would be 113 yes votes, and 2 no votes -- 98% for admission.

In theory, one could assume the Neelys were the ones who voted no, but since their accounts were swiftly banned (I think) for arguing with/threatening people in multiple Comic General threads, it's entirely possible they were not the no voters, though there's no way to be 100% sure in any case.

Hell, we could have put Manson up for an HOS vote and there would be at least 3 people that would vote "NO" and cite that he's a "family man".

:signfunny:

I bet I know who one of the three would be hm

Did you mean

:facepalm:

See what happens when we post a notice in CG with a link?....

:D

Did you mean

Check your records-I posted before that.

Did you mean

Check your records-I posted before that.

And before that, and before that, and before that...etc etc

Any of you old timers know where this stacks up with vote participation for other HOS polls? Seems like a healthy amount of votes were cast.

I'll try to answer, lol...,but I think I want to know if everyone who uses "old timers" as a reference point is under 30? :baiting:

There have been other polls with similar numbers. you can actually see everything if you look at the links. I think Harvey Swick (Justin) did a lot of work on those (and he's not old;)

I also hope, Chip turns things around for the better.

hey old timer, giggle......

Any of you old timers know where this stacks up with vote participation for other HOS polls? Seems like a healthy amount of votes were cast.

I'll try to answer, lol...,but I think I want to know if everyone who uses "old timers" as a reference point is under 30? :baiting:

There have been other polls with similar numbers. you can actually see everything if you look at the links. I think Harvey Swick (Justin) did a lot of work on those (and he's not old;)

I also hope, Chip turns things around for the better.

hey old timer, giggle......

I prefer the term Old Geezer.

The Poll Results

Francis "Chip" Cataldo is now placed into the Hall of Shame

For: 221

Against: 11

For those that said no, I have some stunning oceanfront property in North Dakota. I won't be able to show it to you, but trust me, it is gorgeous!

I also have a stunning stone statue which would look good in any garden. Located on a little island in NYC at present, I can arrange delivery to a location of your choosing...probably. Payment up front please.

Ahem the supreme Court said that island is New Jersey thank you very much!

Sorry. Being English is my excuse for that boo boo :insane:

Stone? hm

It does seem to shift with each situation though. Lots of different voices and perspectives around this joint.

Now that the Chop HOS poll is over, can we start a new one on how much we enjoy unsolicited advice in how we should feel ?

that may take another 100 pages. why don't we talk about something else like the deterioration of the coral reefs and its effects on comic collecting.

It does seem to shift with each situation though. Lots of different voices and perspectives around this joint.

Indeed. Looking back through the Probation discussions, I found this interesting comment made by someone when a PL case was being discussed regarding someone not following through with proposed time payments on a book.

Why don't you just sell the book and get on with your life?

Oh...because that would be too easy and make perfect sense in today's age.

And then added this to the discussion a little later:

The PL is weak and has no teeth. I suspect most sellers could care less and will sell to PL people if they pay. Business is business.

If the PL is week and meaningless, then by extension, the HOS should follow. This anonymous boardie would seem then like someone who probably thought this whole HOS vote was probably a waste of time, no? hm

As was said, there are different voices and perspectives -- sometimes, even from the same person, depending on the circumstances. As they say, to each their own.