• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PROBATION DISCUSSIONS
21 21

36,203 posts in this topic

I hate to bring this up. Purchased books from 50s horror buff/Jeremy on this thread

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=5611627&fpart=1

Paid April 21 and still waiting for the books. A Pm I sent a few days has gone unread. I noticed he hasn't posted since that thread so I pmed some of the boardies who also purchased from that thread. 3 have not received and 3 have.

I definitely get the feeling that he a honest guy and means well, and I hope he is ok but I can't ignore that there is a problem.

I'm one of the 3 that have not received the books as well. And no response to my PM (not read either as well). I assume at this point I should just begin Paypal refund proceedings until further notice? Or am I jumping the gun here?

Start the refund process. If he does get the books out you can pay him again.

I received my books from Jeremy around May 4th or 5th. There was an issue with one of the books, and Jeremy was kind enough to give me a partial refund on that book ($10). His last communication with me was on May 6th. I hope that the issue with everyone else's books gets resolved.

It's strange that some got their books and some didn't. If it was just me I could write it off as lost in the mail.

I paid for mine right after I took it and got the book a few days later. His thread was not finished yet. My guess is, either he got overwhelmed and confused, or something is wrong, but we won't know till he shows up. Hopefully, it's something simple.

I was one of the lucky buyers in this mess. I paid Jeremy on April 20th and received the books on April 27th (with a free EC thrown in as a bonus). I truly hope no one ends up out of $$$ on this and that he will turn up and straighten things out.

Strange day. On many levels.

Wife was cleaning out her car trunk today. Found a package - yep the package from 50s Horror Fan with my two books. She must have overlooked this one when she got the other stuff to bring in the car a few weeks ago. doh!

Color me embarrassed. Will cancel the paypal proceedings and revoke my comment in this thread. And I apologize to him for the muck-up (for only my case).

I hope the other 2 people get their situation resolved as well.

So will you be nominating your wife for the list instead? (shrug)

We are going to need a head for this pike one way or the other. lol

Seller has a book for sale here.

I send a PM to seller saying "I'd like to offer $X shipped." (which is about as straightforward an "I am willing to buy it for that price" as I can get.)

Seller declines.

A week later (earlier "today"), seller sends me a PM saying they'd accept my offer, if I was still interested, and if not, he/she is going to list it on the boards (at my offer price.)

That PM was sent at 5:21 PM my time.

At 10.51 PM my time, before I had the chance to check the boards (I'm out of town), seller sends....5 1/2 hours later...another PM saying "the book has been listed again for sale on the boards."

I'm not going to out the seller, but he/she is a noob here, and I hope he/she reads this.

If you offer something to someone...give them the chance to consider it, before rescinding that offer/making it available to everyone, ESPECIALLY if they haven't even read your message yet.

Otherwise...just don't make the offer in the first place. If you do, give them a chance to respond. eBay allows 48 hours for Best Offers. I think that's a perfectly acceptable time period.

5 1/2 hours ain't it. Especially when the buyer isn't even in town.

48 hours is reasonable, unless he/she knew you were out of town.

In that case a longer timeframe should be used IMO...72 hours +, maybe until, for example, next Tuesday, if it was this Memorial Day weekend...

I have a question? I would like to know if this situation is probation worthy.

I send a offer to someone, I see that he read the offer and didnt reply. I checked again about 7 hours later and no response so I decided to buy something else. He reply about 9 hours later and says ok "but know I already spent the money" I informed that I spent the money, but I was wondering if its a offense

It would have been best if you sent a reply in the PM informing the seller the offer was officially off the table before spending the money elsewhere. It would be like a seller removing an item for sale before anyone put a :takeit: up. No issue at all.

Some people have dumb phones and can read their PMs while away from their PC but can't reply until they get home. Like me... :whistle:

I'm fairly new here so forgive me if I haven't read or found the rules for posting in this thread. I purchased some books from a guy whom I will not name at this time. He lives one state over from me and about three weeks ago, since he hadn't shipped yet I paypaled him for another book a week later (oof). I haven't heard from him in over a week now despite emailing him and PMing him a few times.

I found these forums (which I am enjoying) while doing a google search for the books this guy had ( I didn't post in his thread) so this is particularly disturbing and ironic. The guy also insisted on paypal personal payment, which I will never do again and I'm pretty sure is against their policy for the selling of goods. This has apparently left my hands tied in terms of filing a claim etc. so I'm starting to get pretty frustrated here.

I'm in for over $1200 now.

What is a reasonable length of time to wait? Is selling books and asking for personal payment encouraged or discouraged within these forums?

I also see that they are still active on these forums but can't find the time to respond to me. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

KONG

The wait is 30 days before adding someone to the Probation List.

I'm confused by your story? You bought some comics, from a sales thread here, four weeks ago, then bought another comic from the same person three weeks ago, for a total of $1200, which you sent via paypal personal? Is that the story?

You can name names! :devil:

I'm confused by your story? You bought some comics, from a sales thread here, four weeks ago, then bought another comic from the same person three weeks ago, for a total of $1200, which you sent via paypal personal? Is that the story?

that is correct, I'll refrain from naming names for now although it's tempting.

that is correct, I'll refrain from naming names for now although it's tempting.

Well, you've gotta wait the full 30 days before you can proceed with the PL process. Frequently, just starting things here will get everyone back on track. You could PM the guy again, in a new PM thread I'd say, and let him know that you posted here. It couldn't hurt I figure, and $1,200 is a nice chunk of change.

Last, I'd recommend not using PP Personal with people you don't know. You save them a couple dollars, and lose all of your rights in the process.

O, and WTTB!! (thumbs u

I'm fairly new here so forgive me if I haven't read or found the rules for posting in this thread. I purchased some books from a guy whom I will not name at this time. He lives one state over from me and about three weeks ago, since he hadn't shipped yet I paypaled him for another book a week later (oof). I haven't heard from him in over a week now despite emailing him and PMing him a few times.

I found these forums (which I am enjoying) while doing a google search for the books this guy had ( I didn't post in his thread) so this is particularly disturbing and ironic. The guy also insisted on paypal personal payment, which I will never do again and I'm pretty sure is against their policy for the selling of goods. This has apparently left my hands tied in terms of filing a claim etc. so I'm starting to get pretty frustrated here.

What is a reasonable length of time to wait? Is selling books and asking for personal payment encouraged or discouraged within these forums?

I also see that they are still active on these forums but can't find the time to respond to me. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

KONG

What was the date you bought the books and the date you paid?

Once you get to day 30, kindly send the person a new PM and with a new title. Wait 3 days and then please come back here and let us know if there was no response.

If you look at the top of this page, You will see a link to Comic Area Selling Forum, click on it, you will see the forum rules listed there, PovertryRow's name is next to them.

Welcome to the boards and sorry for the problems.

Thanks,

KONG

Once you get to day 30, kindly send the person a new PM and with a new title. Wait 3 days and then please come back here and let us know if there was no response.

If you look at the top of this page, You will see a link to Comic Area Selling Forum, click on it, you will see the forum rules listed there, PovertryRow's name is next to them.

Again: It's 30 days to officially nominate some for the probation list.

But if at any time you suspect outright foul play you can bring it up right away.

Thanks,

KONG

Again: It's 30 days to officially nominate some for the probation list.

But if at any time you suspect outright foul play you can bring it up right away.

Especially if they are still selling and others may be at risk.

Updatery. Within an hour or so of my posting in this thread the seller emailed me promising to send the books the next day and followed through with a USPS dc number for media mail today. They went on to say "The longer you're on the CGC Message Boards you'll see it's more of laid back selling forum and the normal time frame for a transaction is about 20 to 30 days unless other arrangements are made". This hasn't been the case with other transactions I've had here and there have been many. Having said that they seem like nice enough people and I'm hopeful this will end well.

Thanks for all the help, comments, and conversation. Even to the jack hole that chose to laugh that I sent PayPal personal payment, you are correct as it was a bad move on my part and I'll never do that again. I have personally been in the mail order business for over 15 years and would never ask anyone to do that or add money to cover the fees as the processing fees, be it PayPal or otherwise are just part of the cost of doing business. /rant

Again thanks for the comments and thanks for allowing me to be a part of this community.

Updatery. Within an hour or so of my posting in this thread the seller emailed me promising to send the books the next day and followed through with a USPS dc number for media mail today. They went on to say "The longer you're on the CGC Message Boards you'll see it's more of laid back selling forum and the normal time frame for a transaction is about 20 to 30 days unless other arrangements are made". This hasn't been the case with other transactions I've had here and there have been many. Having said that they seem like nice enough people and I'm hopeful this will end well.

Thanks for all the help, comments, and conversation. Even to the jack hole that chose to laugh that I sent PayPal personal payment, you are correct as it was a bad move on my part and I'll never do that again. I have personally been in the mail order business for over 15 years and would never ask anyone to do that or add money to cover the fees as the processing fees, be it PayPal or otherwise are just part of the cost of doing business. /rant

Again thanks for the comments and thanks for allowing me to be a part of this community.

They have up to 30 days to complete the transaction before the probation list but most of us pay/ship within a day and I personally avoid buying from anyone who has ever taken their time shipping to me unless they made that clear up front.

I often pay via personal paypal. Saving fees for people I consider 'personal' friends seems like a decent thing to do. After having a problem last month and having no recourse thanks to using personal paypal that will change.

Welcome to the boards. Hope you have many positive transactions here in the future.

They went on to say "The longer you're on the CGC Message Boards you'll see it's more of laid back selling forum and the normal time frame for a transaction is about 20 to 30 days unless other arrangements are made".

What a load of spoonerism. Actually the rules set up by Arch states (my bold for emphasis):

8) List estimated shipping costs, times, and methods.

Where this person comes up with a 20-30 day normal time frame is beyond me. I'd love to have the sender of this PM defend this here.

Again thanks for the comments and thanks for iallowing me to be a part of this community.

Not asking you to reveal names, but I have done MANY transactions on the boards and the ones that stretch 20-30 days are few and far between. From my personal experience, that just simply is not true. It is a more laid back selling experience because we know each other, but I find that actually has led to quicker transactions on average.

So I say the longer you stay here the more you realize that someone may have been shoveling something there :devil:

All that being said, it was not probation worthy but if I ran into a seller that unresponsive (until semi-called out on the thread) and then talked down to me like it was my fault for not being more patient, they would not be on my shop again list.