• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PROBATION DISCUSSIONS
21 21

36,203 posts in this topic

that was packing though, mine was double boxed and you can check my sales thread for the before pics, it wasn't brittle at all 7.5 copy with real nice pages.

And that is the attitude I've seen since I told him about the damage. His packing is beyond reproach since the books were double boxed, never mind that double boxing is worthless when the books are free to bounce around inside the box because they aren't taped to the cardboard press in the middle and the press isn't taped together with more than one piece of cellophane tape.

Instead to him it's more likely that, after my 5 years on the board and buying thousands and thousands of dollars worth of books here, I decided to pull a book out of a bag by the corner of the front cover and then, to cover the damage, crushed the corner of the book and the 1/2 back to fool and rip him off. And I decided to do that over a f'n $175 book; it's a ludicrous as it is maddening. Right now he is just another sell who "didn't have a problem refunding his money" until it actually came time to do it.

Hate to tell you, but you wouldn't be the first one to try to pull that scam and I have always refunded anyone's money but this doesnt even closely look right. Corner bang yes, could happen; ripped corner INSIDE the dang bag, no way. That's where my problem lies. And no need to start cursing and ranting, that's why we're taking it here

I'm "ranting" because I bought a book, it arrived damaged and I've been called a liar for asking for some sort of refund. And I hate to tell you this, but books get damaged in shipping no matter how bullet-proof you think your packing is.

Was the book insured?

I don't think so. I didn't see anything about insurance on the label, I think it just had delivery confirmation.

:eek:

that was packing though, mine was double boxed and you can check my sales thread for the before pics, it wasn't brittle at all 7.5 copy with real nice pages.

And that is the attitude I've seen since I told him about the damage. His packing is beyond reproach since the books were double boxed, never mind that double boxing is worthless when the books are free to bounce around inside the box because they aren't taped to the cardboard press in the middle and the press isn't taped together with more than one piece of cellophane tape.

Instead to him it's more likely that, after my 5 years on the board and buying thousands and thousands of dollars worth of books here, I decided to pull a book out of a bag by the corner of the front cover and then, to cover the damage, crushed the corner of the book and the 1/2 back to fool and rip him off. And I decided to do that over a f'n $175 book; it's a ludicrous as it is maddening. Right now he is just another sell who "didn't have a problem refunding his money" until it actually came time to do it.

Hate to tell you, but you wouldn't be the first one to try to pull that scam and I have always refunded anyone's money but this doesnt even closely look right. Corner bang yes, could happen; ripped corner INSIDE the dang bag, no way. That's where my problem lies. And no need to start cursing and ranting, that's why we're taking it here

We've got a bit of "He said, She said" going on here. It seems improbable that the corner would rip off like that, but stranger things have happened in this world. tfa1998, since you do give refunds, you maybe should just get the comic back and give Heresy his $175.

+1

Based on this

That's a pretty serious impact dent. If the book had an existing crease it is highly possible for it to detach like that. Even if it did not have a crease, given the books age and amount of movement it had while en route it could have happened.

And this..

I gota side with heresy on this one. Seems odd that the corner would rip off but if joey thinks that could easily have happened, thats all i need to hear. After 5 years, heresy just doesnt strike me as someone who is going to lie and cheat over a $175 book. It sucks to have to eat the damage since it didnt have insurance but thats the price of doing business once in a while. I gotta agree with him that that wasnt the best apcking job and imo, the damage was caused in shipping.

I believe heresy and think he should get a refund here (shrug)

I'm "ranting" because I bought a book, it arrived damaged and I've been called a liar for asking for some sort of refund. And I hate to tell you this, but books get damaged in shipping no matter how bullet-proof you think your packing is.

Was the book insured?

I don't think so. I didn't see anything about insurance on the label, I think it just had delivery confirmation.

As a seller I take all responsibilty for any books en route. If I want to take the chance on a $50 book not to insure it I do from time to time, but would expect to eat the cost of the book if it was damaged or lost . But rule of thumb for most people is insure books that have value of $100 or more. It's what, $2-3 dollars? I would take not insuring the book a mistake on the seller, and he should not pass that on to the buyer. All a part of doing business.

If it helps I would be happy to work on the book to remove what damage I can and attach the missing piece back on the rest of the cover. In case you are wondering I can do this and still retain a blue label on the book.

Was the book insured?

As a seller I take all responsibilty for any books en route. If I want to take the chance on a $50 book not to insure it I do from time to time, but would expect to eat the cost of the book if it was damaged or lost . But rule of thumb for most people is insure books that have value of $100 or more. It's what, $2-3 dollars? I would take not insuring the book a mistake on the seller, and he should not pass that on to the buyer. All a part of doing business.
I am a strong believer that a seller is responsible for the book, until the buyer recieves it.

If it helps I would be happy to work on the book to remove what damage I can and attach the missing piece back on the rest of the cover. In case you are wondering I can do this and still retain a blue label on the book.

Awesome of you to do this for free to help these two guys out Joey!

You sir... are a saint and you also rock :headbang:

Damn, really?!?

How can it still get a blue label if the piece is reattached??? I would have thought that was an automatic PLOD (shrug)

Tape?

Yeah, i guess although i assume joey isnt gonna have them send him the book so he can slap a little piece of scotch tape on it lol

He would press the fold too. :baiting:

It's high time that we start adding sellers who use "CGC it!" or "not CGC" or "CGC worthy" or "PGX/CGC"

Why?

Because these sellers think the rules don't apply to them. They think it's ok to divert eyeballs to their PGX graded, or ungraded, items.

Since eBay is CLEARLY unwilling to do it, it's high time we start holding members here accountable.

you are not allowed to talk in words! (tsk):sumo:

Tape?

That is an option. It would not be my first choice. And no, I would not use glue.

Joe,

If you could ellaborate please. I don't want you to give out any trade secrets, but how do you attache the piece without tape or glue and still get a Blue label??

Tape?

That is an option. It would not be my first choice. And no, I would not use glue.

Joe,

If you could ellaborate please. I don't want you to give out any trade secrets, but how do you attache the piece without tape or glue and still get a Blue label??

If I elaborated I would give out the secret.

I am a strong believer that a seller is responsible for the book, until the buyer recieves it.

Even if a buyer refuses insurance?

I don't believe the buyer refused insurance in this case but, Yes.

I would like to add qualitycomix to the list. He had a huge sale that basically ended on 4/11/12. No money has been exchanged, but I thought it was poor form as I probably put the sign guy on $70 worth of books and he vanished. He came on a week later and purchased something and then disappeared completely.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Board=79&Number=5592745&Searchpage=1&Main=254509&Words=+qualitycomix&topic=0&Search=true#Post5592745

I don't care either way if you probation quality or not. I was just bringing this to the committee's attention as it seems there have been multiple instances over the years of crappy customer service.

This one irked me as I spent quite a bit of time over a few days watching and winning auctions and then there's the lazy answer of well no money exchanged hands . I won't deal with him again. Should have headed the earlier warnings.

I believe this was Pirate's nomination originally. The next post appears to reflect him backing off his stance a bit. My understanding is an offended party (him or anyone else involved in the thread) must place the boardie on PL after a PM notification of such and a small wait period to respond (a couple or several days...I cannot remember exactly). Anyway, unless someone else made a nomination, it looks like the ball is in Anthony's court for the moment to confirm his first post or indicate that it was instead more of a public warning to others.

At this point a buyer with this problem sends a PM under a new Subject (not part of an existing PM chain) and notifies that they will be put on the Probation List. 3 days need to elapse from the sending of the PM. It does not have to be read by the recipient. Just a 3 day wait.

If you can work out an equitable arrangement and are satisfied that is fine.

The Probation List, unlike the HOS, is not a vote thing. If your case is presented and it meets the PL rules, it is indeed up to the offended party to either add them to the Probation List them-self or ask someone to add them. It can be a little intimidating to initially modify the PL and retain the right formatting etc. so no shame in asking someone to modify the list for you.

Tape?

Joe,

Get it wet... then hot press the sheeet out of it Paul ;)