• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PROBATION DISCUSSIONS
21 21

36,203 posts in this topic

If it makes you sellers feel any better, the 1 time I know for a fact that I did it not realizing some sellers would consider it a done deal was like a year ago for a 9.8 Walking Dead 1. I asked if he would do it for $500 and he said he would but I still decided not to get it.

I thought I was finally doing the "smart" thing not buying it for $500 since by now I figured it would be a $200-$300 book and I wasn't going to get burned like I did a million and one times in the 90's. GREAT decision by me!!! Now, it's a freaking $1500 book! :facepalm::censored::frustrated:

I hate to bring this up. Purchased books from 50s horror buff/Jeremy on this thread

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=5611627&fpart=1

Paid April 21 and still waiting for the books. A Pm I sent a few days has gone unread. I noticed he hasn't posted since that thread so I pmed some of the boardies who also purchased from that thread. 3 have not received and 3 have.

I definitely get the feeling that he a honest guy and means well, and I hope he is ok but I can't ignore that there is a problem.

I'm one of the 3 that have not received the books as well. And no response to my PM (not read either as well). I assume at this point I should just begin Paypal refund proceedings until further notice? Or am I jumping the gun here?

Start the refund process. If he does get the books out you can pay him again.

I received my books from Jeremy around May 4th or 5th. There was an issue with one of the books, and Jeremy was kind enough to give me a partial refund on that book ($10). His last communication with me was on May 6th. I hope that the issue with everyone else's books gets resolved.

I hate to bring this up. Purchased books from 50s horror buff/Jeremy on this thread

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=5611627&fpart=1

Paid April 21 and still waiting for the books. A Pm I sent a few days has gone unread. I noticed he hasn't posted since that thread so I pmed some of the boardies who also purchased from that thread. 3 have not received and 3 have.

I definitely get the feeling that he a honest guy and means well, and I hope he is ok but I can't ignore that there is a problem.

I'm one of the 3 that have not received the books as well. And no response to my PM (not read either as well). I assume at this point I should just begin Paypal refund proceedings until further notice? Or am I jumping the gun here?

I received my books from Jeremy around May 4th or 5th. There was an issue with one of the books, and Jeremy was kind enough to give me a partial refund on that book ($10). His last communication with me was on May 6th. I hope that the issue with everyone else's books gets resolved.

It's strange that some got their books and some didn't. If it was just me I could write it off as lost in the mail.

If i pissed off any sellers doing this, i apologize. I really didnt think tat would constitute a done deal :foryou:

I'd be pissed. You are essentially asking the book at the price that's OK for you and the seller has the right to assume that if he accepts that price without countering, it's a done deal.

When I send a request with a specific price in the PM, if accepted, I always consume the deal.

If I am on the fence, I send a PM with the following question: "What's the best you can do on this book?" If the price I hear back is not OK for me, I thank the seller and might pass on the book (or counter, which I rarely would do in that instance) as I never indicated that I will accept the new price offered.

I think to avoid any confusion and hard feelings either way, that the proper approach is for a buyer to do one of two things:

If the buyer is serious about the item in question, the phrase should be "If you'll sell for $X, I'll take it." This is an offer to buy and the seller can then accept or reject the offer in a reasonable time.

If the buyer is just fishing, then the phrase should be as Scrooge says "What's the best you can do on the item?" This is an inquiry asking for an offer, rather than an offer.

This should work for everybody :)

I'm far from being a perfect buyer on these boards and my requests are

usually if a seller will accept payment on my next payday. Being on a

budget and having my better half attempting to keep my spending down

affects some books I attempt to purchase.

I really think the key to avoiding many of these problems is proper and

polite communication and I just recently sent Monkeyman a question

about possibly paying on payday and during the night I realized I had

spent too much lately and sent him another PM as soon as I woke up

to tell him to forget my request and to apologize for wasting his time.

It wasn't an expensive book and that doesn't really matter.

I don't believe he had read my first question and I'm sorry about that

Mike. :blush::sorry:

I would NEVER send a PM asking a seller to see if he/her would accept

65.00 and then after the seller answers, ask if 50.00 would be okay or let

me think about it.

I have NEVER hit the :takeit: and then send a PM asking if I could pay

on payday and I've missed some great books because of this.

Because of an incident back in Decmeber I try to be as careful as possible

and don't want to lose another friend or fellow collector I look up to. :(

Edited by Fazybones

Seller has a book for sale here.

I send a PM to seller saying "I'd like to offer $X shipped." (which is about as straightforward an "I am willing to buy it for that price" as I can get.)

Seller declines.

A week later (earlier "today"), seller sends me a PM saying they'd accept my offer, if I was still interested, and if not, he/she is going to list it on the boards (at my offer price.)

That PM was sent at 5:21 PM my time.

At 10.51 PM my time, before I had the chance to check the boards (I'm out of town), seller sends....5 1/2 hours later...another PM saying "the book has been listed again for sale on the boards."

I'm not going to out the seller, but he/she is a noob here, and I hope he/she reads this.

If you offer something to someone...give them the chance to consider it, before rescinding that offer/making it available to everyone, ESPECIALLY if they haven't even read your message yet.

Otherwise...just don't make the offer in the first place. If you do, give them a chance to respond. eBay allows 48 hours for Best Offers. I think that's a perfectly acceptable time period.

5 1/2 hours ain't it. Especially when the buyer isn't even in town.

I send a PM to seller saying "I'd like to offer $X shipped." (which is about as straightforward an "I am willing to buy it for that price" as I can get.)

Seller declines.

A week later (earlier "today"), seller sends me a PM saying they'd accept my offer, if I was still interested, and if not, he/she is going to list it on the boards (at my offer price.)

At 10.51 PM my time, before I had the chance to check the boards (I'm out of town), seller sends....5 1/2 hours later...another PM saying "the book has been listed again for sale on the boards."

I'm not going to out the seller, but he/she is a noob here, and I hope he/she reads this.

If you offer something to someone...give them the chance to consider it, before rescinding that offer/making it available to everyone, ESPECIALLY if they haven't even read your message yet.

Otherwise...just don't make the offer in the first place. If you do, give them a chance to respond. eBay allows 48 hours for Best Offers. I think that's a perfectly acceptable time period.

Agreed. And if for some special reason you can't wait that long, tell the person to whom you're making the offer. Communication is easy, and does so much to smooth things.

It's strange that some got their books and some didn't. If it was just me I could write it off as lost in the mail.

I paid for mine right after I took it and got the book a few days later. His thread was not finished yet. My guess is, either he got overwhelmed and confused, or something is wrong, but we won't know till he shows up. Hopefully, it's something simple.

Seller declines.

Someone just re-listing the book at my offer price would bug me more than someone who at least made a so-so effort to give me the book.

If I'd responded to the declined offer with "thanks, let me know if you reconsider" then the annoyance factor is raised.

I paid for mine right after I took it and got the book a few days later. His thread was not finished yet. My guess is, either he got overwhelmed and confused, or something is wrong, but we won't know till he shows up. Hopefully, it's something simple.

I was one of the lucky buyers in this mess. I paid Jeremy on April 20th and received the books on April 27th (with a free EC thrown in as a bonus). I truly hope no one ends up out of $$$ on this and that he will turn up and straighten things out.

I was one of the lucky buyers in this mess. I paid Jeremy on April 20th and received the books on April 27th (with a free EC thrown in as a bonus). I truly hope no one ends up out of $$$ on this and that he will turn up and straighten things out.

Strange day. On many levels.

Wife was cleaning out her car trunk today. Found a package - yep the package from 50s Horror Fan with my two books. She must have overlooked this one when she got the other stuff to bring in the car a few weeks ago. doh!

Color me embarrassed. Will cancel the paypal proceedings and revoke my comment in this thread. And I apologize to him for the muck-up (for only my case).

I hope the other 2 people get their situation resolved as well.

Wife was cleaning out her car trunk today. Found a package - yep the package from 50s Horror Fan with my two books. She must have overlooked this one when she got the other stuff to bring in the car a few weeks ago. doh!

Color me embarrassed. Will cancel the paypal proceedings and revoke my comment in this thread. And I apologize to him for the muck-up (for only my case).

The plot thickens lol .

The plot thickens lol .

or thins? hm