• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PROBATION DISCUSSIONS
21 21

36,203 posts in this topic

I have a question? I would like to know if this situation is probation worthy.

I send a offer to someone, I see that he read the offer and didnt reply. I checked again about 7 hours later and no response so I decided to buy something else. He reply about 9 hours later and says ok "but know I already spent the money" I informed that I spent the money, but I was wondering if its a offense

To me it depends on how you asked, if you said

A) hey, will you do $100, if so :takeit:

Or

B) just a " hey, would you do $100 on that book?

If it was A, to me, that was a deal and you are on the hook. If it was B, I don't consider that a deal. Maybe not the best etiquette, but definitely not a done deal where the seller should already be spending the money before even replying (shrug)

I send a offer to someone, I see that he read the offer and didnt reply. I checked again about 7 hours later and no response so I decided to buy something else. He reply about 9 hours later and says ok "but know I already spent the money" I informed that I spent the money, but I was wondering if its a offense

It's not a deal until you both "shake on it" as it were. Whenever I make an offer, I don't consider it a done deal until we've both said okay. So no, I wouldn't say you're on the hook with the fellow.

I usually try to phase my offers as a question, just to make it a bit more clear that it's not final yet: "Hey man, would you accept $120 for your Captain Carrot #16 4.5 GLOD?"

The bolded part really bothers me. :frustrated:

When you make an offer, you are extending yourself and basically saying you will do it if the other party accepts. That is not hard to understand.

What really bugs me is when someone says "Would you take $65 for that?", and the seller accepts, then the guy says "well let me think about it". Or similarly after the seller accepts, the guy says "would you take $50 for it?"

:makepoint:

If you make it clear that it's not final yet, then good for you, but if you don't make it clear, then dooshy for you.

It's not a deal until you both "shake on it" as it were. Whenever I make an offer, I don't consider it a done deal until we've both said okay. So no, I wouldn't say you're on the hook with the fellow.

I usually try to phase my offers as a question, just to make it a bit more clear that it's not final yet: "Hey man, would you accept $120 for your Captain Carrot #16 4.5 GLOD?"

When you make an offer, you are extending yourself and basically saying you will do it if the other party accepts. That is not hard to understand.

What really bugs me is when someone says "Would you take $65 for that?", and the seller accepts, then the guy says "well let me think about it". Or similarly after the seller accepts, the guy says "would you take $50 for it?"

If you make it clear that it's not final yet, then good for you, but if you don't make it clear, then dooshy for you.

I refined my statement later on...

Yikes! I guess ive annoyed some sellers in my time here because ive definitely done that before :blush: Really, i never considered that they felt it was a done deal just asking what they would do. Usually, i dont ask a specific price so its not a problem. Most times, ill ask a seller "whats the best you can do for me on this book?" Theres defintiely been times though where im on the fence about a book and want to know if theyd do a certain price but even at that price, im not sure ill buy it. Just a couple weeks ago, there were some TOS's for sale which is a title i dont really collect. They were nice as hell though and for the right price, i might have bought a couple. I asked the seller if he would do $450 instead of $500 but even at that price i wasnt positive i would have bought the book. Honestly, i never thought any of the sellers i asked considered it a done deal when they sent me back a pm saying they would do the price i asked for. The few times i then didnt buy the book after they said they would, none of those sellers said anything or acted like they were annoyed about it (shrug)

If i pissed off any sellers doing this, i apologize. I really didnt think tat would constitute a done deal :foryou:

If i pissed off any sellers doing this, i apologize. I really didnt think tat would constitute a done deal :foryou:

I'd be pissed. You are essentially asking the book at the price that's OK for you and the seller has the right to assume that if he accepts that price without countering, it's a done deal.

When I send a request with a specific price in the PM, if accepted, I always consume the deal.

If I am on the fence, I send a PM with the following question: "What's the best you can do on this book?" If the price I hear back is not OK for me, I thank the seller and might pass on the book (or counter, which I rarely would do in that instance) as I never indicated that I will accept the new price offered.

What really bugs me is when someone says "Would you take $65 for that?", and the seller accepts, then the guy says "well let me think about it".

This one bugs the heck out of me.

I'd be pissed. You are essentially asking the book at the price that's OK for you and the seller has the right to assume that if he accepts that price without countering, it's a done deal.

When I send a request with a specific price in the PM, if accepted, I always consume the deal.

If I am on the fence, I send a PM with the following question: "What's the best you can do on this book?" If the price I hear back is not OK for me, I thank the seller and might pass on the book (or counter, which I rarely would do in that instance) as I never indicated that I will accept the new price offered.

I guess, i never really thought about that before that they would think its a done deal. I usually do what you do and ask "whats the best you can do?" but theres definitely been a couple times ive asked" could you do $100 on that book" but still didnt buy it :blush: I'm pretty sure though that the few times i did that, the seller responded with something like "yeah, i would do that so let me know if you want it" so it didnt seem like they assumed it was a done deal or were upset. Hopefully not :wishluck:

I guess from now on if i ever do that, ill make sure to add in that even at that price im not positive i'll buy the book.

What really bugs me is when someone says "Would you take $65 for that?", and the seller accepts, then the guy says "well let me think about it".

I grant access to my personal probation list for this behaviour. :)

You are now on my personal probation list for your non-US spelling!! :sumo:

That's a rather coloured outlook.

That's it! You're on the list too!! :sumo: :sumo:

As if I would ever buy from your shoppe!

:frustrated:

:frustrated:

You can be quite humourus!

With a heavy heart I would like to add 50s horror buff (jeremy) to the list.

Purchased some books here:

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=5611627&fpart=1

invoiced on April 21 and paid for them same day. They have not arrived and my PMs to him are unread and he has not posted on the boards since April 21.

After checking with some of the other buyers on Jeremy's thread I found two other buyers who have not received their books and three that did.

He has not replied to a message sent to his email addy.

If there're no dissenting votes I will add 50s horror buff to the list..........

I think to avoid any confusion and hard feelings either way, that the proper approach is for a buyer to do one of two things:

If the buyer is serious about the item in question, the phrase should be "If you'll sell for $X, I'll take it." This is an offer to buy and the seller can then accept or reject the offer in a reasonable time.

If the buyer is just fishing, then the phrase should be as Scrooge says "What's the best you can do on the item?" This is an inquiry asking for an offer, rather than an offer.

This should work for everybody :)

I think to avoid any confusion and hard feelings either way, that the proper approach is for a buyer to do one of two things:

If the buyer is serious about the item in question, the phrase should be "If you'll sell for $X, I'll take it." This is an offer to buy and the seller can then accept or reject the offer in a reasonable time.

If the buyer is just fishing, then the phrase should be as Scrooge says "What's the best you can do on the item?" This is an inquiry asking for an offer, rather than an offer.

This should work for everybody :)

I'm a fan of common sense. I feel like, if I want to know if someone is willing to accept what I'm willing to pay, but I'm still not sure if I can do it, I'm free to ask: "Hey man, I'm not sure if I can swing it yet, but would you take $200." Seems reasonable to me.