• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PROBATION DISCUSSIONS
21 21

36,203 posts in this topic

I don't read this section too often and someone directed me over this

way and I didn't realize how each year we seem to be getting closer

and closer to e-bay with all these terrible problems. I feel sorry for the

long time members and I bet this place was alot better many years ago.

I'm sorry to hear about the problems this Ghecko loser caused some of

our members and I sure hope all of you are made whole again and keep

your clean paypal records.

I had the strangest thing happen last Thursday when selling two Spideys :cry:

for a total of 1160.00. Both buyers were awesome and paid within minutes

and then I received an e-mail from paypal stating I transferred 998.00 to

some stranger I've never heard of. I called paypal right away and the

employee I spoke to was terrible and wasn't the least bit concerned about

how some scammer got my e-mail address. I transferred the funds to my

bank account which usually only takes a few days and it still hasn't shown

up.

I called paypal again yesterday and they say there is a delay and the funds

should show up on July 23rd. My paypal account balance is zero and it's

still not in my bank and is in cyber space somewhere.

Do any of you think some crook is watching our sales section for sales of

around 1,000.00 or would it be some crook that's hacked into paypal's

site and sends out these bogus e-mails?

This is terrible news, Fay. :sorry:

To anwser your question, I hope not.

Seems strange Fay. Hope there isn't a problem.

Thanks Mike and Dave and I hope you guys are right. Within about 10

minutes of the second buyer sending the funds I received this bogus e-mail

and I'm sure the amount of 998.00 is meant to be under a 1,000.00 for their

scam to work.

Paypal and the two employess I've spoken to have been totally useless

and wouldn't answer my questions about the e-mail I forwarded to Spoof@

paypal.net. I'm probably worrying for nothing (I hope) and July 23rd can't

arrive quick enough. :wishluck:

BTW, I'm sorry and I know this isn't a probation issue and I didn't really

know where to whine to you guys and gals. :sorry:

I had a similar thing happen. I got an e-mail from Paypal that said I sent someone $250 thru paypal mobile. I called them up and explained that I have never used the mobile app and that I have only used Paypal from my home or work computer. They were very helpful and got the funds put back in my account. The only thing that I can think of is that I had signed up for GPA a couple days prior to that happening. Now I keep a close eye on my Paypal account.

I would call them until I got someone that would be helpful.

Seems strange Fay. Hope there isn't a problem.

Thanks Mike and Dave and I hope you guys are right. Within about 10

minutes of the second buyer sending the funds I received this bogus e-mail

and I'm sure the amount of 998.00 is meant to be under a 1,000.00 for their

scam to work.

Paypal and the two employess I've spoken to have been totally useless

and wouldn't answer my questions about the e-mail I forwarded to Spoof@

paypal.net. I'm probably worrying for nothing (I hope) and July 23rd can't

arrive quick enough. :wishluck:

BTW, I'm sorry and I know this isn't a probation issue and I didn't really

know where to whine to you guys and gals. :sorry:

I had a similar thing happen. I got an e-mail from Paypal that said I sent someone $250 thru paypal mobile. I called them up and explained that I have never used the mobile app and that I have only used Paypal from my home or work computer. They were very helpful and got the funds put back in my account. The only thing that I can think of is that I had signed up for GPA a couple days prior to that happening. Now I keep a close eye on my Paypal account.

I would call them until I got someone that would be helpful.

GPA got hacked bad awhile back

:tonofbricks:

Make the password for Paypal unique from any others.

Make all passwords unique

That is a fine thought, however, most people need and use passwords for a dozen or more things. How many things do you need one for, and how many passwords do you have?

I don't need my mind filled up with extra crap. :makepoint:

I hear you there and and the last time I counted including my work

passwords for my office computer, discipline, payroll, longshoremen's

ratings, our production site, a site for what's in containers and their

yard locations, my two banks, ebay, paypal and all the different dealer's

and auction house sites I have over thirty passwords I use.

Thanks to that rotten bastich Osama Bin Laden with the crabs nibbling

on his rotting body our industry has gone security crazy and I'm getting

old and the memory is the first to go. :preach::cry:

My home computers are covered with yellow stickies with over half of

them and I keep a list of all the others I need in my desk at work. Our

work requires us to change passwords every 30 days on most sites and

60 days on other sites and my imagination is only so creative. Comic

book characters, fighter planes and attack helicopters is my main

source of work related passwords.

actually what I've started doing, and this might end up giving away too much, is using the same password for everything. sort of. but different.

and I guess people could catch on...but at least its different and still easy for me to remember.

lets say my password is "BOSCO"

ebay password: ebayBOSCO

paypal password: paypalBOSCO

cgc password: cgcBosco

work password: workBOSCO

bank password: bankBOSCO

you get the point.

if you want to get more original, you can put it in the middle "BOSpaypalCO", or write the descriptive words backwards.

In most cases the slightest deterrent will keep someone from stealing your info.

you get the point.

George - is that you?

Okay, so I recently had my first real sales thread (selling some Anthony Castrillo sketch covers to pay for some Anthony Castrillo refunds), and with my first real sales thread seems to have come my first real non-payer! :whee:

VEI Reborn snagged this fella via PM on 6/24. I've replied to him a bunch of times, with a confirmation that it's his, a couple nudges about paying, etc., and all messages have gone unread. While a member of the boards since '08, he hasn't actually posted anything since late '09. :shrug:

So, it'll be 30 days on Tuesday. I've sent him a new PM telling him that he's about to go on the PL. Did I forget anything?

Okay, so I recently had my first real sales thread (selling some Anthony Castrillo sketch covers to pay for some Anthony Castrillo refunds), and with my first real sales thread seems to have come my first real non-payer! :whee:

VEI Reborn snagged this fella via PM on 6/24. I've replied to him a bunch of times, with a confirmation that it's his, a couple nudges about paying, etc., and all messages have gone unread. While a member of the boards since '08, he hasn't actually posted anything since late '09. :shrug:

So, it'll be 30 days on Tuesday. I've sent him a new PM telling him that he's about to go on the PL. Did I forget anything?

You forgot to say good morning! :)

Isn't it past your bed time? lol

GOOD MORNING!!! :hi:

Isn't it past your bed time? lol

GOOD MORNING!!! :hi:

It's too bad this non paying buyer doesn't post more. It would be a good day to rake him over the coals. :insane:

Sorry this happened, Speedy.

He's on this forum as well? I've seen that board name on the Valiantfan site, and have to assume it is the same fellow.

Not the friendliest of forumites.

Make the password for Paypal unique from any others.

Make all passwords unique

That is a fine thought, however, most people need and use passwords for a dozen or more things. How many things do you need one for, and how many passwords do you have?

I don't need my mind filled up with extra crap. :makepoint:

I hear you there and and the last time I counted including my work

passwords for my office computer, discipline, payroll, longshoremen's

ratings, our production site, a site for what's in containers and their

yard locations, my two banks, ebay, paypal and all the different dealer's

and auction house sites I have over thirty passwords I use.

Thanks to that rotten bastich Osama Bin Laden with the crabs nibbling

on his rotting body our industry has gone security crazy and I'm getting

old and the memory is the first to go. :preach::cry:

My home computers are covered with yellow stickies with over half of

them and I keep a list of all the others I need in my desk at work. Our

work requires us to change passwords every 30 days on most sites and

60 days on other sites and my imagination is only so creative. Comic

book characters, fighter planes and attack helicopters is my main

source of work related passwords.

actually what I've started doing, and this might end up giving away too much, is using the same password for everything. sort of. but different.

and I guess people could catch on...but at least its different and still easy for me to remember.

you get the point.

if you want to get more original, you can put it in the middle "BOSpaypalCO", or write the descriptive words backwards.

In most cases the slightest deterrent will keep someone from stealing your info.

I suggest giving Lastpass a try, https://lastpass.com/

I don't want to do coal raking, but I think it's in the best interest of the forum for people to have a heads up.

On 5/29 I had a sales thread for my Spider-Man books. I got a PM from Jackstostart, asking about buying most of them in a "deal", but I told him I was listing the books in the thread,and he should just post a take it for the ones he wanted...as I had started the thread and people were grabbing things and I wanted to be fair to everyone. I told him I'd give him 10% off if he bought more than 5 books, 15% if he bought more than 10.

He did post take it's for 9 books

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=259841&Number=5727094#Post5727094

jackstostart 47 $24.00

55 $14.00

60 $18.00

62 $25.00

63 $33.00

77 $14.00

78 $35.00

91 $14.00

99 $27.00

Then he indicated he needed time payments, so I posted a time payment plan on the thread, 20% (Non Refundable) down payment and 3 months to pay, he would have to give me a schedule.

The total with the discount was $183.60 ( I included free shipping). He paypaled me

$23.60 on 6/2, said he was paying someone else off and once he finished, he would pay me, every two weeks. I asked for the balance of the downpayment and a date when he would start payments on 6/3, never heard back.

I bumped the thread on 6/12, 6/22, 6/26, 7/6 each time I asked for the balance of the 20% downpayment and when he was going to start payments.

Each PM was read, but not answered.

On 7/6, I was getting kind of worried that something happened to him, so I pmed the dealer Guy (Jackstostart) was paying off and I was told (by that dealer) the payments were finished some time before.

Now I like Guy, he's a little quirky, but he's bought from me before, however I saw this thread http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=256238&Number=5631770#Post5631770 and this thread...

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=233587&Number=5063142#Post5063142

I did send him a separate PM today, advising him that I was posting on this thread, However, because I made my terms so liberal, I am not sure if I can suggest him for the probation thread itself before the end of August, although he never paid the full 20% down.

I don't mind waiting until the end of August (the 3 months) , but I'd like to eventually put the books back up for sale if he's not taking them, so I'd like some feedback. I also think that since he's obviously not paid for other items, people should know it might not be a great idea to deal with him.

Edited by skypinkblu

You've been pretty generous in dealing with him, but if he never even gave you the full deposit that y'all agreed was due immediately, and it's now been 6 weeks or so, I'd say you've done your part, no?