• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PROBATION DISCUSSIONS
21 21

36,203 posts in this topic

Question - if two board members do a deal that turns sour outside of the boards can I still put the board member on the probation list?

If I am the buyer and the I make a deal with the seller and then the seller tells another buyer that the piece is sold but then the other buyer makes a higher offer and then the seller comes back to me and asks for more and I refuse and then the seller decides to sell to the other buyer, can I put that seller on the probation list?

yes to both

Question - if two board members do a deal that turns sour outside of the boards can I still put the board member on the probation list?

If I am the buyer and the I make a deal with the seller and then the seller tells another buyer that the piece is sold but then the other buyer makes a higher offer and then the seller comes back to me and asks for more and I refuse and then the seller decides to sell to the other buyer, can I put that seller on the probation list?

yes to both.

oh yeah :popcorn:

I would vote no.

In fact, if no money ever switches hands I would vote no on even the board transactions.

Maybe we need to add a Butthurt section. This could include the deals where we feel our time has been wasted, but that there hasn't actually been a payment made.

HOS - True conman territory. Bad guys who have screwed people over multiple times.

Probation- Someone took my money & it took months to get the think worked out. They fell off the internet after losing a job or a bad family situation & cannot be trusted.

Butthurt- I was the first in the thread to :takeit: . It's my book & the deal didn't get completed for some reason. Did I lose money? No, but I wasted a valuable 2 minutes of my life time. Similar to if you call a comic shop & reserve something, but when you arrive they can't find it or accidently sold it to another customer. Wasted my time.

Sorry, it just seems like people are getting hit up for the probation thread for some pretty minor situations even when they are not bad guys or habitual problems.

I would vote no.

In fact, if no money ever switches hands I would vote no on even the board transactions.

Maybe we need to add a Butthurt section. This could include the deals where we feel our time has been wasted, but that there hasn't actually been a payment made.

HOS - True conman territory. Bad guys who have screwed people over multiple times.

Probation- Someone took my money & it took months to get the think worked out. They fell off the internet after losing a job or a bad family situation & cannot be trusted.

Butthurt- I was the first in the thread to :takeit: . It's my book & the deal didn't get completed for some reason. Did I lose money? No, but I wasted a valuable 2 minutes of my life time. Similar to if you call a comic shop & reserve something, but when you arrive they can't find it or accidently sold it to another customer. Wasted my time.

Sorry, it just seems like people are getting hit up for the probation thread for some pretty minor situations even when they are not bad guys or habitual problems.

Just so I am clear on "not being a bad guy" or "a habitual problem": You are saying that it is OK to make a deal with someone, use that deal to milk a higher offer out of someone else, then use that offer to try and milk more money out of the guy that already has a contract on the book, and when that doesn't work, sell it to the 2nd person?

That, to me, is way worse than just screwing up or welching on a deal. Way, way worse.

I would vote no.

Just so I am clear on "not being a bad guy" or "a habitual problem": You are saying that it is OK to make a deal with someone, use that deal to milk a higher offer out of someone else, then use that offer to try and milk more money out of the guy that already has a contract on the book, and when that doesn't work, sell it to the 2nd person?

That, to me, is way worse than just screwing up or welching on a deal. Way, way worse.

+1

Agree 100% with Sean on this one. You're basically condoning his behavior by saying it's a "pretty minor situation".

I would vote no.

I'm not saying it is ok, just that it's not really my idea of a probation offense. It would annoy the heck out of me, but really, if no money was exchanged I would just move on. I guess I've had enough deals fall through in real life that if I'm not being ripped off then I can move on pretty quickly. Losing out on a comic, even if it was bs, shouldn't be such a large deal imo.

Yeah, the milking a higher deal out of a 2nd buyer would certainly say something about the sellers character, but I just don't see it probation worthy like when someone is walking off with peoples money.

It's a hobby & unless someone is stealing something from me, I find it pretty easy to just move on if a deal falls through.

The rules basically say once the deal is made, both sides must complete their respective duties. If one or the other doesn't, you can be nominated for the PL. Not everyone nominated is put on the list, just those who don't reach a mutual conclusion.

Well yeah, but it appears this transaction did not take place on the boards. Rules at one time were for board transactions only, then it included PMs, does it now include emails off the board?

I enjoy a Boardie Outing as much as anyone, just seems it's getting to where any type of disagreement leads to Probation discussion.

I've had this happen to me more than once on the boards from some pretty big names. I get some half- excuse & I file it away. I don't feel like the :takeit: gives me iron clad rights to a book until payment has been taken. Much less stressful approach than trying to plaster a scarlet letter on every seller (or buyer) that a deal falls through with.

The rules basically say once the deal is made, both sides must complete their respective duties. If one or the other doesn't, you can be nominated for the PL. Not everyone nominated is put on the list, just those who don't reach a mutual conclusion.

Well yeah, but it appears this transaction did not take place on the boards. Rules at one time were for board transactions only, then it included PMs, does it now include emails off the board?

I enjoy a Boardie Outing as much as anyone, just seems it's getting to where any type of disagreement leads to Probation discussion.

I've had this happen to me more than once on the boards from some pretty big names. I get some half- excuse & I file it away. I don't feel like the :takeit: gives me iron clad rights to a book until payment has been taken. Much less stressful approach than trying to plaster a scarlet letter on every seller (or buyer) that a deal falls through with.

It seems like this specific situation is pretty cut and dry. Why you're defending it I have no idea.

I don't know what's worse, seeing people screw each other over here left and right and then seeing people defending them. Or watching middle aged men use the same internet slang as tweenagers.

Technically, yes it does. You post the :takeit: and that's that.

But, this thread is called the Probation Discussions, because that's what it's for. The buyer feels wronged by what happened, and he's brought it here, where it belongs. If he nominates the seller, then the seller can come in and have his/her say and try to find a mutual resolution. If the seller is innocent, then there's nothing for them to worry about and an explanation is in order.

No. But you can out him and call him the scumbag he is . . . ;)

I would vote no.

I'm not saying it is ok, just that it's not really my idea of a probation offense. It would annoy the heck out of me, but really, if no money was exchanged I would just move on. I guess I've had enough deals fall through in real life that if I'm not being ripped off then I can move on pretty quickly. Losing out on a comic, even if it was bs, shouldn't be such a large deal imo.

Yeah, the milking a higher deal out of a 2nd buyer would certainly say something about the sellers character, but I just don't see it probation worthy like when someone is walking off with peoples money.

It's a hobby & unless someone is stealing something from me, I find it pretty easy to just move on if a deal falls through.

I agree. I've had to move along so many times I can't count. :P

And btw, let's remember the standard for the HOS:

THE HALL OF SHAME

The following Board Members have been elected by the community to the

Probation List's "Hall of Shame" for gross misconduct as members in the

Marketplace Forum:

I would vote no.

It's certainly just as bad to me.

I agree with this.

I'm not 100% certain such an offense is/should be "probation worthy" (though if it was put to a vote, mine would probably be "yes"), but personally. as a buyer on these boards. I'd definitely want to know who the seller was so that I'd never buy from them in the future. :sumo:

I agree with those who consider this kind of practice to be dishonourable and objectively speaking to condone it or encourage it would steadily undermine the point of this :takeit:

The PL rules explicitly allow complaints about deals outside the Boards

That said, the big problem I see with making it a PL issue is remedy, once a PL process was underway on this basis what would the remedy be?

What would the person bringing the complaint want to make this right?

I agree with this.

I'm not 100% certain such an offense is/should be "probation worthy" (though if it was put to a vote, mine would probably be "yes"), but personally. as a buyer on these boards. I'd definitely want to know who the seller was so that I'd never buy from them in the future. :sumo:

That's exactly how I see it. As someone who has strictly been a buyer, I'm all for sellers being called out for sharp practices. I realize that there are sellers who think: "Hey, let's go easy on this one (it could be me)." But if the integrity of the selling threads gets undermined, sellers will be losers, too.

I think the rule of the in-thread :takeit: really needs to be maintained. Otherwise, you get a situation where someone posts :takeit: in thread only to find that the deal is off because someone else has PM'd the seller "$100 is too low for that book, I'll give you $125." Once that kind of behavior gets condoned, the selling threads are in real trouble.

So, people can't be nominated for the PL if they screw a boardie in a non-board transaction? I thought they could be nominated for that kind of thing. hm

So, people can't be nominated for the PL if they screw a boardie in a non-board transaction? I thought they could be nominated for that kind of thing. hm

They can

"d) A Transaction between board members is not confined to the CGC Message Boards. Any transaction between forum members, regardless of the venue, is eligible for inclusion in the PL."