• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PROBATION DISCUSSIONS
21 21

36,203 posts in this topic

Too many "friends" out there willing to back their homie, no matter what's right or wrong. I'm sure some instances will be fine and on the up and up, but in some instances the vote will be unbalance and unfair.

Something can only get out of control if there are no rules associated with it. If it is allowed to be a free-for-all, then you get what you asked for.

I wouldn't give up on this concept yet until it is fleshed out more.

Too many "friends" out there willing to back their homie, no matter what's right or wrong. I'm sure some instances will be fine and on the up and up, but in some instances the vote will be unbalance and unfair.

Something can only get out of control if there are no rules associated with it. If it is allowed to be a free-for-all, then you get what you asked for.

1984.jpg

:grin:

1984.jpg

:grin:

Rules Rule!

rulesSlide02.jpg

Doing a special mention list would be too much.

It would be abused.

"oh this guy didn't get my Stan Lee book signed in the right colour!"

or

"this guy won't use paypal"

Just remember - This board member has there name on like 10 - 20 pages of the Probation Discussion thread - if a board member wants to buy from or sell to them, its their choice. 2c

I disagree. Besides, the things you have mentioned aren't what this is about. Here's an example.

longdillon dragged me on for 3 months, leading me to believe there would be no probem paying for 5 books. After the 3 months, he didn't pay. He did place a $70 deposit, which I discounted to the second buyer. Because of the 5% deposit, he didn't qualify for probation.

Then, he sells a book to a boardie. Decides to sell it to someone else for more. Then, refunds the first buyer, who is out $60 due to fees, exchange ect...

After all of this, (maybe more?) he doesn't make the probation list. Is there 10,000 posts in this thread? (I didn't check) Maybe you could do a recap of this thread for us.

Are you thinking of the need for something like "censure"?

That's it.

We have this discussion thread for that.

Just bringing this to light and people seeing the shenanigans even though he eventually made it right (as best he could if he coughs up another $30) is just like a censure.

I don't like it. It would require a lengthy discussion. Where do we draw the line? Can someone ever be removed from the "Special mention" section?

If we had feedback threads your fb would be what it is, just like on eBay. Unlike on eBay, we could give the buyer/seller as much space as he/she wanted to explain or dispute whatever was posted in his/her fb thread. Then it would up to people to make up their minds whether they wanted to deal with the person given the info in their fb thread.

It would be abused.

or

Just remember - This board member has there name on like 10 - 20 pages of the Probation Discussion thread - if a board member wants to buy from or sell to them, its their choice. 2c

I disagree. Besides, the things you have mentioned aren't what this is about. Here's an example.

longdillon dragged me on for 3 months, leading me to believe there would be no probem paying for 5 books. After the 3 months, he didn't pay. He did place a $70 deposit, which I discounted to the second buyer. Because of the 5% deposit, he didn't qualify for probation.

Then, he sells a book to a boardie. Decides to sell it to someone else for more. Then, refunds the first buyer, who is out $60 due to fees, exchange ect...

After all of this, (maybe more?) he doesn't make the probation list. Is there 10,000 posts in this thread? (I didn't check) Maybe you could do a recap of this thread for us.

Didn't remember about this comicdonna... LD's rep is dropping fast with this coming back up.

Concerning a "special mention" thread... its going to be abused beyond belief.

Recipe for disaster :facepalm:

Once again, if it's a fb thread, then there's no vote. People can post the results of the transaction they had with you and you can respond. Doesn't matter if you are Mr. Connected or Ms. Friendless. The person you sold to/bought from gets his/her say and you get your say. Others can take from the exchange what they will.

Edited by Sqeggs

It would be abused.

or

Are you thinking of the need for something like "censure"?

That's it.

We have this discussion thread for that.

Just bringing this to light and people seeing the shenanigans even though he eventually made it right (as best he could if he coughs up another $30) is just like a censure.

Except that in a couple of weeks the posts on this incident will be buried as new issues arise. Do people search this thread -- as opposed to checking the pl -- before they buy/sell to someone?

First off, I believe it was Arch who wanted only positive feedback in the Kudos thread, so we don't have a choice.

I think he's right, it would be like the wild west here if we had negative feedback, as it is, we have friends giving feedback to people that they don't buy from, people who bump their own threads constantly to thank everyone .It shows more views, I guess. .Check Cal's sometime, I only looked at it once, but I think he answers everyone who posts.

In the old eBay days,when they allowed non transactional feedback, people would give you unsolicited (or maybe solicited if they were positive) negs and positives all over the place.

I can only imagine the fights that would break out if someone put a bad remark in a kudos thread. "Yes it was a new bag...no it wasn't" "You just hate me, don't you" etc, etc;)

I see Rupp's point about people complaiining about minor things with the "special mention" idea I had, and I agree, there are too many people who have friends, and then we have people like Rupp who are going to feel they have to defend axe murderers ....Sorry, Michael, you were just the first example I thought of. :foryou:

I do however think this guy should not just get a pass. I had forgotten that he already was a bad guy with ComicDonna...and I do think that Jo Seph is concerned (since people brought it up) about a charge back.

Joseph says that he will reviisit the issue in 40 days. How about some kind of possible pending probation note ? or are there any other ideas? I just hate to let the guy just slide and have some other poor person given a raw deal without them at least having the list as a head's up.

Edited by skypinkblu

I see Rupp's point about people complaiining about minor things with the "special mention" idea I had, and I agree, there are too many people who have friends, and then we have people like Rupp who are going to feel they have to defend axe murderers ....Sorry, Michael, you were just the first example I thought of. :foryou:

Not necessarily "defending" axe murderers... just pointing out that pulling the axe out of someone's head could be the start of the healing process and a first step towards an apology :foryou:

I do have a list of people who would defend an axe murderer who murders via PM only tho lol

How was dinner last night with Claudio btw ;)

heartgifs.gif

So the result of the JIM 83 transaction between longdillon and Jo Seph is:

Jo Seph: -$60

Longdillon: +unknown profit from transaction with BlueHawaii

It's inconsequential whether or not Jo Seph wants to move on or not. It's inconsequential how severe the end result "could" have been. All that matters is what actually happened for purposes of the probation list. Until Jo Seph receives a full refund for all costs incurred from Longdillon then to the PL dillon shall go. When that money gets refunded then dillon comes off the PL.

Regarding future protections from Longdillon's treachery, well the PL isn't designed to predict the future; it's merely here to display the facts. Buyers and sellers can help protect themselves by trolling the mess out of this thread. Actually, that should be strongly encouraged one way or another.

Check the other thread for the answer, lol...and ditch the hearts before my VERY tall husband, gets the wrong idea, lol.

I did suggest he not take it too far. But Rupp has no off switch.

Dominic-Wilcox-On-Off-Switch.jpg

Well, he does. It just doesn't always function right.