• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PROBATION DISCUSSIONS
21 21

36,203 posts in this topic

speaking of concerns, Im a bit worried about a recent purchase I made. bought a slab with no scans (seller never provided even after my request) so Im just crossing my fingers that the book presents well, and the Sig is well placed and visible (his other SSs were all well done so I have hope) but since he was a "no returns on slabs" sale, its hard to throw up the "take it" sign when you cant see the book .

I mean I list a slab for under GPA w/o scans and say first "I'll take it" wins, is the buyer SOL when he gets a mis-wrapped book that is the grade, but presents poorly? (Id never do that, but its certainly within the rules for this type of scenario to occur).

speaking of concerns, Im a bit worried about a recent purchase I made. bought a slab with no scans (seller never provided even after my request) so Im just crossing my fingers that the book presents well, and the Sig is well placed and visible (his other SSs were all well done so I have hope) but since he was a "no returns on slabs" sale, its hard to throw up the "take it" sign when you cant see the book .

I mean I list a slab for under GPA w/o scans and say first "I'll take it" wins, is the buyer SOL when he gets a mis-wrapped book that is the grade, but presents poorly? (Id never do that, but its certainly within the rules for this type of scenario to occur).

I don't purport to speak for everyone, but in my mind, if you buy a book sight unseen and it comports with the information you were given, that is a deal.

I know others won't agree, but that is my take.

IF someone sold someone a perfectly good slab at an agreed upon price, should they accept returns after arrival? What if it was a Sixth Gun and the price dropped overnight?

What does that have to do with restoration?

Absolutely nothing.

In the preceding posts, it was stated:

"I would like to think that ANY purchase that one makes here on the boards would be be backed with a 100% return policy."

Related to restoration, I agree with this statement, but 'ANY purchase for 100% return?', less so

maybe I took it out of context, maybe not.

I actually would take a return on a book in a scenario like this.

That's what "for any reason" means.

A happy customer is way more important than any one sale of a slabbed Sixth Gun.

:winnah:

Double ^^ !

Bedrock knows... which is probably one of the reasons he is still in business a billion years later.

Sure... state a return time frame if you want. Especially if you're worried about hot books turning cold and buyer remorse... I'm sure that happens.

Concerning unknown restoration. If someone buys a book off of you and you sell it as unrestored... and it comes back purple (no matter how many months it takes for CGC to catch up and grade the thing)... I still feel the seller is still 100% responsible to make it right with the buyer.

Best thing to do is just ask... "what can I do to make this right with you". Just those few simple words will let the buyer know immediately that you weren't out to screw them in the first place... and that mistakes happen.

Accidents and mistakes happen, and since it's your product (you sold it) ... then ultimately its you that has to make it right.

How you would do it is up to you. How "I" would do it would be a full refund for the book and maybe in some instances, even his fees to have it graded.

Goodwill & return biz... that's what should really be what you hope to gain from any transaction.

No matter how well you appease the buyer, still factor in the fact that he is going to tell 10 of his buddies about the whole scenario. It's really up to you as to what he's going to tell them about your service. It's right here where not offering a 100% return on your defective product is going to monetarily hurt you in the long run.

I don't purport to speak for everyone, but in my mind, if you buy a book sight unseen and it comports with the information you were given, that is a deal.

I know and its the first time I've bought a book sight unseen, since it was an OAK I decided to roll the dice, we'll see if I end up burned or not. Im a "my word is worth more than ___(insert book value__" but its still a bit of a scary scenario to buy w/o seeing.

PP would force a refund if a book comes back restored and the seller won't do a return, no?
not if too much time had passed

IF someone sold someone a perfectly good slab at an agreed upon price, should they accept returns after arrival? What if it was a Sixth Gun and the price dropped overnight?

What does that have to do with restoration?

Absolutely nothing.

In the preceding posts, it was stated:

"I would like to think that ANY purchase that one makes here on the boards would be be backed with a 100% return policy."

Related to restoration, I agree with this statement, but 'ANY purchase for 100% return?', less so

maybe I took it out of context, maybe not.

I actually would take a return on a book in a scenario like this.

That's what "for any reason" means.

A happy customer is way more important than any one sale of a slabbed Sixth Gun.

:winnah:

And again for the people in the back (or thick headed)

^^

Did you pay him? Have you sent him the PM saying you've put his name up here?

He started a selling thread saying "go to my website".

I went to his website and sent him this message,

"Hi Matthew!

I noticed you post on the CGC Boards. I was given a copy of your book from a friend who bought it in Chicago. I like it. I would be interested in buying 10 copies of the variant if possible. When I try to buy them on the Ashcanpress website it charges $30 shipping for 6 books to Canada - is there anyway to get a lower shipping cost?

And - are there copies signed by Ghostface Killah available?

/ Jimmy Linguini on the CGC Boards "

He said

"Hey Alex,

Thanks for writing. Yeah, the webstore shipping stuff has some kinks in it. I set aside 10 books for you and I will figure out what shipping is on them and get back to you this weekend. Do you have a paypal account and we can just do it that way? Let me know. And thanks so much man.-Matthew"

The book I was to buy 10 of for $10 each, now sells for $50 to $70 and his website says sold out.

You have to send him a PM saying that he is being nominated to the PL, and if he doesn't respond in the appropriate time, then he goes on.

I doubt he is going to care, or be back, but that is what it is.

I sent an e-mail to Matthew two days ago about my intet to put him on the PL and how I will not support any books from his publisher. Can he now be added to the PL?

Check the rules JL:

2) Notification on the Probation Discussion Thread

a) After the 30 Day Rule is fulfilled, the accuser will send a PM to the accused informing them the issue is being submitted to the Probation Discussion Thread for their inclusion in the PL. CHECK

3) Being Placed On The PL

a) After a 72-hour waiting period, if the accused does not respond they will be placed on the PL.

b) If the accused responds in the Probation Discussion Thread and it is determined the conditions of the transaction was not met, they will be added to the PL.

c) If the accused is not available during that 72-hour period and is placed on the PL, they are free to later respond in the Probation Discussion Thread and present their side.

d) If the accused has not responded in the Probation Discussion Thread but continues to post on the boards, a reply can be made informing them they are being considered for placement on the PL.

so long and short, 3 day waiting period. Has it been 72 hrs yet?

No. I'll give him until wednesday at 12:00, which is like five days.

Time has passed.

Can someone please put Ashcan Press on the PL?

Thank you.

You could always just write "No returns" in your sales thread.

But there is a huge difference between "No returns" and "All returns, including buyer's remorse and precipitous drops in value."

I have always gone with a "Satisfaction guarantee," meaning that if I did anything - poor packing, missed something grading, missed a crack in the slab - that I would make it right. That could be return and refund or partial comp for the screw up. I am down with any and all of that. I don't know how I would feel about "Hey, I bought this 10 days ago, now there is one on Ebay for $50 less, I want to return it."

+1

If it's my Eff Up that's one thing. If the buyer decides to try and game the seller like he's wal-mart without taking any mature responsibility for a deal being a deal then you've got to take that into account when determining who's being taken advantage of in the stated scenario.

That sounds like the price paid for wanting to be the first to say :takeit: and not taking the time to wait for scans, ask about wraps, or make other inquiries as to potential condition issues that would not be acceptable.

Mature adults realize when something isn't the seller's fault and is a result of their own haste, negligence, or failure to vett the details and perform their due diligence. In short, adults know when a deal is a deal.

I got one that will SHOCK this community.

I will wait one more week, then I will send out the battle units...

Stay tuned...

CAL