• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PROBATION DISCUSSIONS
21 21

36,203 posts in this topic

Definitely not. I know I don't have the detection skills to guarantee anything about trimming.

If you sell a book and it comes back trimmed, and the seller brings it to your attention, how do you react?

"SUCKER!!!"

Definitely not. I know I don't have the detection skills to guarantee anything about trimming.

If you sell a book and it comes back trimmed, and the seller brings it to your attention, how do you react?

"SUCKER!!!"

Okay, that made me laugh.

Why?

What's the point?

The guy sold out of books. You didn't send any cash - no harm, no foul.

I'm sure not having an obscure 'comic' signed by 'Ghostface killah' (wooooo scary!) will be a terrible blight on your full and active working life, but I can see no reason at all why this is PL worthy.

As if the guy will be back - this isn't, you aside, his normal 14yr old girls market.

What is Matthew supposed to have done wrong - there's only your unreliable word that they were $10 each.

Move on. :blahblah:

If it's not a big deal, why don't you paypal him the $400 that he lost by not getting the deal? The guy showed up on the Boards pumping his wares, and didn't complete the deal. That makes him eligible for the PL. Now that nomination has about as much substance as a popcorn fart, as he will likely never be back.

The rules work the same way for everyone, despite your raging Jimmy Linguiniii boner.

"Raging Boners" as you childishly put it, have nothing to do with it.

Where is the proof that ANY of these books sold for $50? Or ever will?

If the first batch sold out before the money was exchanged - tough.

How long were they 'set aside' for?

If they were selling for $3 now, would you expect Linguini to drop his offer price?

Seriously? because that's the flip side.

All your points are irrelevant. If it is true that the person promised the books and didn't deliver, received adequate notice, and never came forth to defend himself, then he goes on the PL. Profit margins, extraneous facts and your desire to see JL devoured by dingos do not matter.

Dingoes do have a track record of eating babies so that's probably not an unreasonable wish. (shrug)

Why?

What's the point?

The guy sold out of books. You didn't send any cash - no harm, no foul.

I'm sure not having an obscure 'comic' signed by 'Ghostface killah' (wooooo scary!) will be a terrible blight on your full and active working life, but I can see no reason at all why this is PL worthy.

As if the guy will be back - this isn't, you aside, his normal 14yr old girls market.

What is Matthew supposed to have done wrong - there's only your unreliable word that they were $10 each.

Move on. :blahblah:

If it's not a big deal, why don't you paypal him the $400 that he lost by not getting the deal? The guy showed up on the Boards pumping his wares, and didn't complete the deal. That makes him eligible for the PL. Now that nomination has about as much substance as a popcorn fart, as he will likely never be back.

The rules work the same way for everyone, despite your raging Jimmy Linguiniii boner.

"Raging Boners" as you childishly put it, have nothing to do with it.

Where is the proof that ANY of these books sold for $50? Or ever will?

If the first batch sold out before the money was exchanged - tough.

How long were they 'set aside' for?

If they were selling for $3 now, would you expect Linguini to drop his offer price?

Seriously? because that's the flip side.

Sorry Andy, but theres another man in my life, and he's from outerspace.

photo30_zpsc8db360b.jpg

BTW these are the ones I sold.

One was bought for me at C2E2 I read it, and iimmediately ordered 25 copies of the regular issue.

This is a consignment sale for a friend of mine,

http://www.ebay.com/itm/12-Reasons-to-Die-1-C2E2-EXCLUSIVE-PREVIEW-SIGNED-NUMBERED-BY-WRITER-ONLY-100-/130900470421?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item1e7a46aa95

Than I ordered 10 through Matt, and thought, Ok I'll be getting more and sold my copy,

http://www.ebay.com/itm/12-Reasons-to-Die-1-C2E2-EXCLUSIVE-PREVIEW-SIGNED-NUMBERED-BY-WRITER-ONLY-100-/130911845516?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item1e7af43c8c

So you're right Andy, I am in love with a spaceman and this will never be a $50 book doh! .

Do you assume that in the absence of a statement that a book is restored/trimmed, every raw book sold on the boards is guaranteed by the seller to be unrestored?

Yes, I do. You don't?

No, absolutely not. Why would you? In practice, unless you buy a book from the stands myself, or it's previously been a blue, or it's a modern, or you're a restoration expert, it's going to be hard to give a cast-iron guarantee that it's unrestored.

I've been in this situation recently - someone asked me in a PM if a silver age Batman that I was selling was restored. I bought it years ago from an online dealer with no discussion of whether it was restored. As far as I can see from looking at it, it's not.

I don't want to take the risk of selling it and having to refund and pay shipping if it gets graded and came back purple. Equally I don't want to sell it for a restored price if it's not. So I've told them that it's not restored as far as I know, but I bought it a while ago with no guarantee.

No, absolutely not. Why would you? In practice, unless you buy a book from the stands myself, or it's previously been a blue, or it's a modern, or you're a restoration expert, it's going to be hard to give a cast-iron guarantee that it's unrestored.

I've been in this situation recently - someone asked me in a PM if a silver age Batman that I was selling was restored. I bought it years ago from an online dealer with no discussion of whether it was restored. As far as I can see from looking at it, it's not.

I don't want to take the risk of selling it and having to refund and pay shipping if it gets graded and came back purple. Equally I don't want to sell it for a restored price if it's not. So I've told them that it's not restored as far as I know, but I bought it a while ago with no guarantee.

Selling raw books is a risk. If one is unwilling to take responsibility for one's wares then perhaps one should not be selling online. Frankly, I'm surprised there are people willing to argue the other side of this point. I myself circumvent these scenarios by trying to only buy and sell slabbed books. You are not a restoration expert. Neither am I. But that's not really a good reason for sticking an unsuspecting buyer with a restored book.

Selling raw books is a risk. If one is unwilling to take responsibility for one's wares then perhaps one should not be selling online. Frankly, I'm surprised there are people willing to argue the other side of this point. I myself circumvent these scenarios by trying to only buy and sell slabbed books. You are not a restoration expert. Neither am I. But that's not really a good reason for sticking an unsuspecting buyer with a restored book.

+1

It's a decent position to take, and if someone really did come to me saying something I sold them came back restored, I'm sure I'd work something out with them. But I don't think your take is 100%.

For one thing, I reject the notion that we need CGC to save us from restored comics. The grading's great, the resto check is great, they do a good job, all that stuff, but ideas like this just leave a bad taste in my mouth.

And second, most comics have been sold many times. There's a long chain of possession, and who knows when the resto happened? It seems 100% unrealistic that we could follow that chain of ownership, getting refunds at every point along the way. So, given that this isn't going to happen, that just leaves the second to last owner holding the bag. Speaking objectively, why is it my fault that the comic is restored any more than it's the fault of the guy who bought it from me? And if it's not my fault, neither is it the fault of the guy I bought it from, unless he's the nefarious restorer.

You may say that I took the risk when I bought a non non-CGC comic, so I should "man up" ... but is that not equally true of the person who bought it from me?

You may say that I took the risk when I bought a non non-CGC comic, so I should "man up" ... but is that not equally true of the person who bought it from me?

Yes. Again, buying and selling raw books online is a risk. At some point, people are going to get fugged by a restored book. I know I have. At that point it is not unreasonable to begin a conversation between seller and buyer to discuss equitable terms. Throwing your hands up and saying, "This isn't my fault!" doesn't really solve the problem. When Best Buy sells a defective laptop, the store isn't the one that inspects the device for quality but it will be the one that must issue the refund to the disappointed buyer.

It's a decent position to take, and if someone really did come to me saying something I sold them came back restored, I'm sure I'd work something out with them. But I don't think your take is 100%.

For one thing, I reject the notion that we need CGC to save us from restored comics. The grading's great, the resto check is great, they do a good job, all that stuff, but ideas like this just leave a bad taste in my mouth.

And second, most comics have been sold many times. There's a long chain of possession, and who knows when the resto happened? It seems 100% unrealistic that we could follow that chain of ownership, getting refunds at every point along the way. So, given that this isn't going to happen, that just leaves the second to last owner holding the bag. Speaking objectively, why is it my fault that the comic is restored any more than it's the fault of the guy who bought it from me? And if it's not my fault, neither is it the fault of the guy I bought it from, unless he's the nefarious restorer.

I would like to think that ANY purchase that one makes here on the boards would be be backed with a 100% return policy.

Simply because if "I'm" the one selling it, no matter who owned it before, its my responsibility to back up what "I" sell... ultimately being "my" fault for undetected restoration.

Its your choice in telling the customer to "man up" and take the hit... but do you really want that customer standing in front of your booth, in the middle of other potential customers, complaining about a book he bought from you that came back in a purple slab?

Probably best just to apologize, claim ignorance (which technically is true) and give the refund.

It will look good too :foryou:

Yes. Again, buying and selling raw books online is a risk. At some point, people are going to get fugged by a restored book. I know I have. At that point it is not unreasonable to begin a conversation between seller and buyer to discuss equitable terms. Throwing your hands up and saying, "This isn't my fault!" doesn't really solve the problem. When Best Buy sells a defective laptop, the store isn't the one that inspects the device for quality but it will be the one that must issue the refund to the disappointed buyer.

First of all, the defective laptop is not a good analogy. The store will be refunded by the manufacturer, and the cost of dealing with defective products is built into the manufacturer's price, and the retailer's price as well.

Second of all, as the seller of the restored comic, it isn't my fault. I don't have the power to detect restoration. If you do that's great, but I don't. If you want to assume that my not saying there's resto is a guarantee that there isn't ... well, good luck with making up your own guarantees as a consumer. lol

And again, yes I'm sure I'd work something out with a buyer, because I'd feel bad and I would not want the entire loss to fall on the shoulders of my customer. But you know, I wouldn't be doing it because I owe them money, but rather out of a spirit that we're in this together.

I would like to think that ANY purchase that one makes here on the boards would be be backed with a 100% return policy.

Simply because if "I'm" the one selling it, no matter who owned it before, its my responsibility to back up what "I" sell... ultimately being "my" fault for undetected restoration.

Its your choice in telling the customer to "man up" and take the hit... but do you really want that customer standing in front of your booth, in the middle of other potential customers, complaining about a book he bought from you that came back in a purple slab?

Probably best just to apologize, claim ignorance (which technically is true) and give the refund.

I don't have a booth for anyone to stand in front of. If I did, if I were in the business of selling comics for a living, then dealing with returned comics because of undetected resto would be one of the costs factored into my pricing.

If anyone wants to stand in front of my next sales thread where I'm giving my comics away for the price of shipping and scream about undetected resto, they're welcome to do so. lol:foryou:

I don't have a booth for anyone to stand in front of. If I did, if I were in the business of selling comics for a living, then dealing with returned comics because of undetected resto would be one of the costs factored into my pricing.

If anyone wants to stand in front of my next sales thread where I'm giving my comics away for the price of shipping and scream about undetected resto, they're welcome to do so. lol:foryou:

Just saying your reputation is worth more than any one sale. Reputation is what makes sales two through infinity... and beyond ;)

Just saying your reputation is worth more than any one sale. Reputation is what makes sales two through infinity... and beyond ;)

I suspect that I'd handle a situation like this well enough that my reputation would be just fine.

I suspect that I'd handle a situation like this well enough that my reputation would be just fine.

Dang, he's a cocky one! :whatthe:

Well then this whole back and forth seems simple enough. Some sellers are willing to accept accountability for the items they sell and some aren't. I suppose there's not much to do here regarding the PL but I am suprised that there are people willing to tell buyers to fugg off after an unfortunate deal.

Well then this whole back and forth seems simple enough. Some sellers are willing to accept accountability for the items they sell and some aren't. I suppose there's not much to do here regarding the PL but I am suprised that there are people willing to tell buyers to fugg off after an unfortunate deal.

Fugg off!!! :sumo:lol

In that situation... all their feedback needs to be this:

pizapcom104369012531824411368706280399_zpsf9fb441b.jpg

Red check meaning sale completed, but I wasn't happy.