• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Baltimore Comic Convention 2009

653 posts in this topic

yeah it is...

Now I gotta figure what I'm going to burn my money on.

Was thinking about putting out a call for a witness and see if I can't get my first SS books. Don't know how much that would run me though. Turns out I'm a real cheapskate when it comes to shelling out money. I seem to leave there with more money than I rightfully should.

Yeah.. I'm thinking this is going to be a bit of a project. Hunt down a witness and then spam the Spare a Grade forum to help find a nice looking book.

I was thinking of doing my UXM 141 and 142 (whichever are the Day of Future Past books).. Got them from Mile High as NM buuuut.. don't really believe they are from what I see and what I've read here about MH.

My 9 year-old daughter is getting into Archies all of a sudden, so I'm thinking of breaking my self-imposed exile from ALL cons and attending the Baltimore show with her this year for the first time since 2003. I just hope all the nudie books, creepy stuff, and general freakishness is kept to a minimum. Nothing spoils a nice afternoon of bonding with my daughter faster than a bunch of half-naked weirdos parading around dressed as heaven-only-knows what! But Marc's show has always been more about the books and the "kids of all ages" fun elements of the hobby, so I'm optimistic!

My 9 year-old daughter is getting into Archies all of a sudden, so I'm thinking of breaking my self-imposed exile from ALL cons and attending the Baltimore show with her this year for the first time since 2003. I just hope all the nudie books, creepy stuff, and general freakishness is kept to a minimum. Nothing spoils a nice afternoon of bonding with my daughter faster than a bunch of half-naked weirdos parading around dressed as heaven-only-knows what! But Marc's show has always been more about the books and the "kids of all ages" fun elements of the hobby, so I'm optimistic!

Mike, I have to say if there's one con that generally avoids this it's the b-more con. I've said this for years before I ever moved to b-more -- the Baltimore con is one of my favorites and I think one of the best shows of the year. It's incredibly fun and the guests there can't be beat.

I also have more fun at that con than pretty much any other. Not sure why that is, but there's something about this show which I have always found tremendously enjoyable. Just spending the time with everyone has always been a loads of fun -- good walking distance eats and a cool environment.

Mike, I have to say if there's one con that generally avoids this it's the b-more con. I've said this for years before I ever moved to b-more -- the Baltimore con is one of my favorites and I think one of the best shows of the year. It's incredibly fun and the guests there can't be beat.

I also have more fun at that con than pretty much any other. Not sure why that is, but there's something about this show which I have always found tremendously enjoyable. Just spending the time with everyone has always been a loads of fun -- good walking distance eats and a cool environment.

Agreed. I hosted a panel (w/Roy Thomas and Murphy Anderson) at the inaugural Baltimore show in 2000, and essentially worked as a volunteer in one capacity or another at all the others I attended.

My experience then (as now) with larger shows was limited, but Baltimore was clearly (and very much by design) a more wholesome, relaxed, and fun/family-friendly environment than, say, the Pittsburgh shows I went to in the late '90s (which were kinda sleazy), or the massive hustle-bustle NYC and Philly shows from the same period. I'm VERY glad to hear that the Baltimore Con hasn't changed at all in that regard! And BIG kudos to Marc and his staff for keeping the faith, and keeping it fun!

My dad felt the same way when he started going with me last year, and I'm well into my twenties. My dad is 60, but he thought the show was well organized, the weirdness was kept low, and he really liked it.

Also, I have soume duplicate Archie toys laying around if your daughter wants them. :)

My dad felt the same way when he started going with me last year, and I'm well into my twenties. My dad is 60, but he thought the show was well organized, the weirdness was kept low, and he really liked it.

Hey Lauren...thanks, that's good to know. I also think it's cool that you and your dad are friends and share a common interest. I sincerely hope it goes that way for my daughter and I, too!

And I'm sure Maddie would dig the Archie toys...she has some Betty and Veronica refrigerator magnets, and a Veronica (Barbie) doll, but is otherwise unaware that there's anything else out there. Even just seeing them would be cool for her!

Hey Lauren...thanks, that's good to know. I also think it's cool that you and your dad are friends and share a common interest. I sincerely hope it goes that way for my daughter and I, too!

And I'm sure Maddie would dig the Archie toys...she has some Betty and Veronica refrigerator magnets, and a Veronica (Barbie) doll, but is otherwise unaware that there's anything else out there. Even just seeing them would be cool for her!

Mikey -

Bring your daughter. My 9 year old Nicole will be walking around, looking for beat up Little Lulu comics to read. I'm running the table again, you can come and hang out and we can argue politics again, just like old times. lol

The show is the same that you remember - Marc is consciously keeping it very family friendly. There will be many things for her to do and see.