• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

HOOKS amatuer home pressing thread !

195 posts in this topic

Ia Drang. That was the site of the first major U.S. combat operation in Vietnam in 1965.

Yup!

:applause:

-slym

ONE of the first major battles fought between American and North Vietnamese soldiers. And, "We Were Soldiers" is a definite fantastic read!

Here is the list of battles fought in 1965. It was the first Air Cav battle though.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:1965_in_Vietnam

to be honest I thought that it made the cover look better and I for one am not really concerned about the BC. And , yes , I noticed that waffle look on some and I assume at the time I judged that it was offset by a better cover so the grade didn't really change. I figured any book that had been pressed probably looked much better than the grade I gave it , not to mention I sell everything close to 1/2 off. So , with mid-grade collectors which would have been the buyers in this thread for the most part (other than Divad) they got better than they anticipated had it been one that I had practiced one.I received one Pm from a buyer who said "Thank you"! "That is the most gorgeous SA book I have ever seen ! I don't care but has it been pressed ? I said yes (assuming it must have been one that I pressed).

Serious questions I'll be glad to answer..

No need for those that just like to stir up sh%$#t and conspiracy cr%^$#p.

B~

Did you really type this hooks? Worse yet, did you mean it?

You are not really concerned about the BC?

Seriously :(

I realize that you initially wanted this topic discussed. And it has , and I have always respected you here. So , I'll try to help before I'm out for the day.

Yes , I personally like and collect cool covers. The better the front , yes ! The BC is an after thought for me. I want it intact to be sure ,and no holes or dirty and can live w/ a couple of small tears. However , it's the glossy cool cover and artwork that keeps me going thru my long boxes when I have the time.And , I believe there are many collectors here the same. Obviously if I was slabbing and/or a high grade collector that would be different.

Buy a felted dry mount press pad and stick a sheet of release paper under the book before you put it in. Jesus, how lazy do you have to be? :makepoint:

Hooks,

NFBC1.jpg

I think the BC looks better with the waffle pattern; its subtlety makes it quite fetching, I think. And it makes me think of breakfast foods. Win.

Hey Hooks, can I twist your arm to work on a couple of my books?

Sturm und Drang (the conventional translation is "Storm and Stress"; a more literal translation, however, might be storm and urge, storm and longing, storm and drive or storm and impulse) is the name of a movement in German literature and music taking place from the late 1760s through the early 1780s in which individual subjectivity and, in particular, extremes of emotion were given free expression in response to the confines of rationalism imposed by the Enlightenment and associated aesthetic movements.

Sturm und Drang (the conventional translation is "Storm and Stress"; a more literal translation, however, might be storm and urge, storm and longing, storm and drive or storm and impulse) is the name of a movement in German literature and music taking place from the late 1760s through the early 1780s in which individual subjectivity and, in particular, extremes of emotion were given free expression in response to the confines of rationalism imposed by the Enlightenment and associated aesthetic movements.

Yup, got that. Another quirk of Die Deutsche is the curiosity surrounding the bizzaro fact that the definite article Die is the definite article The in inglés. & so we have the Simpsons' humor Die Bart Die in a classic Sidesow Bob episode. Do we have here a false cognate or some other etymological chimera?

As I told Divad in a PM , I did get a machine last year at one of our sales after coming here and reading pressing debates all the time. I tried it on a couple dozen books and I thought it helped some but had a tend. to screw up the backs? So , I figured I would leave them alone. I actually just thought he was curious and kinda ribbing me b/c we rib one another and I assumed he was Ok w/ it b/c I had bought the book from him for approx. $90 and sold it back to him at approx. $30. I did offer him a refund when I felt like he didn't see much humor in the situation. He said he would take it and I auto. sent it to him prior to receiving the book back .

I guess what I am not understanding is this:

- You bought the book from David for $90.

- You sold the book back to him for $30.

Since you claim you did not know about the BC damage, why didn't you ask for $90?

I'll answer this one.

I took 2007 guide price on ALL books and knocked prob. 20-30% and added free shipping b/c that is the only way I ever see any books move around here with all the cheap arses- shrewd buyer's . I needed temp. $$ , and when the crickets are chirping which they always tend to , you say to yourself ....Juststopit.DoyouWANTastrike?$#@^&% it ! .... and do all kinds of drastic and stupid things to move some books.( at least I do ). Has nothing to do with what I paid for them ! Then Diva comes along and PM's with a :grin: "I only pay 50 cents on the $1" So , 50% off of what I was asking was approx. $30. Got it ?

BTW , I'll buy any book that I had to sell for 10% above what was paid for it.

Now , go figure out some LOST theories for next season ! :makepoint:

:)

B~

Where's the moral outrage!? No sturm? No drang?

Reasonable discourse, you suck!

:slapfight:

Allowances are made for him. I mean, come on. We're talking about hooks here.

Thanks for the um,.....compliment Bill . I think. ;)

doh! ....I already said that previously . I must really be a bone-head. :sorry:

:censored: you, hooks.

09-18-2008125735PM.jpg

Say it ain't so Hooksie, say it ain't so.....

Sorry Bill . I attempted some pressing last year, disclosed home-pressing last year in my S -thread and it got a resounding "thud" (meaning no-one said anything and books sold normally.) I really didn't put as much thought into it this time as I figured it had been concluded that some feel you should disclose and some feel that you don't but should tell if asked. I actually fall in the disclose up front. It had no effect one way or the other in the sale that I disclosed.

B~

No worries. I'm sure you'll make it right with the buyers. Lesson learned I'm sure.

09-18-2008125836PM.jpg

Yup, got that. Another quirk of Die Deutsche is the curiosity surrounding the bizzaro fact that the definite article Die is the definite article The in inglés. & so we have the Simpsons' humor Die Bart Die in a classic Sidesow Bob episode. Do we have here a false cognate or some other etymological chimera?

Umm, Bill, can you say this in English so us Deutsche can figure out what you mean??? hm

Umm, Bill, can you say this in English so us Deutsche can figure out what you mean??? hm

Yeah , he kinda lost me one that one as well. Oh well. :insane:

Yeah , he kinda lost me one that one as well. Oh well. :insane:

Just go with the etymological chimera...

(thumbs u lol:D

-slym

Rudi, you know as well as I do that I have no idea if you're from Austria, Germany, Prussia, or the Land of Oz. Imma Florida Cracker & have no idea what I'm talkin bout dude.

Just go with the etymological chimera...

(thumbs u lol:D

-slym

That'd be a good name for a band. 'The Etymological Chimeras'.