• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

HOOKS amatuer home pressing thread !

195 posts in this topic

Just go with the etymological chimera...

(thumbs u lol:D

-slym

That'd be a good name for a band. 'The Etymological Chimeras'.

They could cover the early '80's hardcore hit:

The The The Mein Fraulein.

That song by Die Aussenseiter? That would be

The The Mein Schatz :headbang:

See, I do understand some of the stuff you're saying...

Yes by The Outsiders, of course. :insane:lol

I think I will shoot a video of me doing an amateur pressing on one of my crappy New Mutants books...

hmlol;)

-slym

lol

I think all these pressing threads will make amatuer pressers of us all

lol

I think I will shoot a video of me doing an amateur pressing on one of my crappy New Mutants books...

hmlol;)

-slym

lol

I think all these pressing threads will make amatuer pressers of us all

lol

I've been an amatuer presser for YEARS! lol

My press is my 1995 Saturn - the tire is almost exactly the same width as a comic book!

:devil:

-slym

Don't be a bonehead, be sure to use "release paper", whatever that is. In your case, you might want to use one of the floor mats, I guess.

:insane:

Say it ain't so Hooksie, say it ain't so.....

Sorry Bill . I attempted some pressing last year, disclosed home-pressing last year in my S -thread and it got a resounding "thud" (meaning no-one said anything and books sold normally.) I really didn't put as much thought into it this time as I figured it had been concluded that some feel you should disclose and some feel that you don't but should tell if asked. I actually fall in the disclose up front. It had no effect one way or the other in the sale that I disclosed.

B~

No worries. I'm sure you'll make it right with the buyers. Lesson learned I'm sure.

09-18-2008125836PM.jpg

:roflmao:

I wonder if that waffle pattern on the back cover could be pressed out if done "right" hm

After reading these threads tonight, I fired up my press and purposely waffled the hell out of a book, to see how easily it could be removed.

It isn't easily removed.

I think it could be that the rubber platen leaches something into the paper. There was a weird residue on the platen after I pressed my 'Justice League: Antarctica' (JLA annual #4, .50 book) naked, that I don't see when I use release paper. It's not ink, it wiped away with a damp cloth.

I know I could get rid of the waffling by increasing the heat, pressure, and duration of the pressing, but that's entering the territory of damaging the paper's integrity. All I know is, a bad pressing is harder to fix than say, humidity damage/waviness.

If Ze-Man or Joeypost would like to give me some pointers, I'd appreciate it. I don't know how to press this out without wrecking the comic. Returner, definitely take Joeypost up on his offer instead of me, I'm a babe in the woods when it comes to fixing bad pressing apparently.

Heat and pressure alone will not do it. This is the difficult part since no one is aware of the chemicals that may have leetched out of the padding and what it will do to the appearance (and even structure) of the paper. At a minimum you might be able to get the waffling out but I would assume you will see some remnants of hundreds of tiny creases and possible discoloration.

Unfortunately this goes beyond a bad pressing job, this has caused considerable damaged to the book.