• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Showcase #22 Club
14 14

7,061 posts in this topic

There are only 11 copies that is 7.5 or better. Rick's 7.5 is probably the best 7.5 out there. Rick's copy is in the top 10% tier, so I think $10000 is a reasonable and fair price. Since guide price is currently $10000 for a 9.2, I predict next year's guide will show a a minimum 20% jump.

Don't be so sure. OSPG doesn't seem to bow to artificial movie hype demand when they consider raising a key books price. Marvel Spotlight #5 sells through the roof in high grade since that GR film was announced, but the guide still does not really reflect this because the book in by no means scarce and hasn't stood the test of time. OSPG may give GL #1 and SC #22 a slight bump, but they will wait until a clear trend over years is established before making a 20% or more increase, the way they did for GL #76.

I agree with showcase22gr1959. But the 20% bump will come from record prices being fetched on the book, NOT the movie hype. As long as these #22 books continue to surface, I think record prices will be paid. Not because of the movie hype, but because many avid collectors have been looking for decades for premium grade #22s. They could care less about the movie. Just my opionion.

Guys, if market value or movie hype had anything to do with OSPG prices would Action #1 still be a $45,000 book in 2.0 (current market value ~$100K)? Look at GL #76 pricing - even though OSPG was well off the mark for the past 5 years you did not finally see a significant increase until this year (and even now it is still off by quite a bit). It appears that they wait to see big jumps for a couple of years before moving things up in guide by more than the standard 8-10%.

It is also a bit premature to start putting in price bumps since we don't know where this book will settle out yet. I would expect the big jump to come in the 20011 OSPG since the new price level will have stabilized a bit by then.

In any case, buying those 5.0 copies from Rick (and the other one was kryptospidey, I believe) at $1200 was a steal a month ago.

Kimik, thanks for repeating what I just wrote previously. :applause:

In the CGC census, there are a total of 241 copies graded so far. Why are there not more copies graded? I think because there are so many copies that grades less than 4.0, and collectors are holding out of not getting it graded. As prices steadily climb, I predict there will be more copies being graded; especially when the release of the movie is near.

hey, will Showcase 22 cool off as fast as its reached molten hot status? Doesn't this sudden hysteria concern anyone here? Or does everyone already have a copy that rapidly appreciating in value?

It concerns me a bit, but I think that speculation is not rampant yet as most of the people I personally know who are buying them are collectors like me who viewed the book as price stagnant for the past 5 - 10 years. This initial ramp up is probably driven more by people who have always wanted one but have put off the purchase for a while since there was no hurry to buy one in the past. Now that the movie has been cast and prices have bumped up a bit we are all scrambling to get one. doh!lol

" ... Congratulations! We're writing to confirm your successful offer in the amount of $850 for SHOWCASE #22, VG/F. The seller has been notified, and will ship the item to ...."

46834 August 11th 2009 $0.00 VOIDED

Title Vol/Iss Grade Qty Price

----- ------- ----- --- -----

------------

ITEM TOTAL: $0.00

Sales Tax: $0.00

Shipping Cost: $0.00

------------

INVOICE TOTAL: $0.00

Payments: $0.00

------------

AMOUNT DUE: $0.00

:(

(shrug)

hey, will Showcase 22 cool off as fast as its reached molten hot status? Doesn't this sudden hysteria concern anyone here? Or does everyone already have a copy that rapidly appreciating in value?

If you're buying to flip it...yes.

If you're buying to keep...who cares.

Actually, I think that the prices on Showcase 22 will cool, eventually. I doubt it will happen in the next 6-9 months though and then I believe it will plateau. Avengers 1 has a problem in that it really doesn't have the same cache nor is a major "character". Avengers 4 has maintained the heat and has not leveled off -- Showcase 22, always thought to be "common" in low grade, is now on fire in any grade. The drastic run up is approaching AF 15 levels.

$10k, while an aggressive offer, to me is less than what it would fetch at auction currently. Even before the run up, 7.5 would have been a really high grade copy for this book.

Green Lantern is also one of the few crossover characters that also seems to appeal to Marvel collectors. It doesn't hurt that his current book is actually pretty good as well. I think Showcase 22, will have some stagnation on the lower grade copies seeing a post movie drop, but that copies 7.0 and above with superior page quality, no date stamps etc., will see unbelievable price increases.

As for changes in the guide, don't count on that. The data is mostly collected prior to August, and Bob Overstreet has always taken a conservative approach. It took years for GL 76 to move up -- and even then -- it was because of years of record sales, not just one year of multiple sales.

agreed. but if one is buying to keep, it feels like a bad time to be chasing the hottest book around, right? Then again, its moving so fast its also irresistible to lock in a copy now while its still rising. I just hope its not a summer fling, After all, its been a major key but sleeping soundly for a long long time. Actually reminds me of the Showcase 4 hysteria back in the 80/90s, when it was suddenly THE DC book to have. Of course, the movie is deal changer here.

Actually, I think that the prices on Showcase 22 will cool, eventually. I doubt it will happen in the next 6-9 months though and then I believe it will plateau. Avengers 1 has a problem in that it really doesn't have the same cache nor is a major "character". Avengers 4 has maintained the heat and has not leveled off -- Showcase 22, always thought to be "common" in low grade, is now on fire in any grade. The drastic run up is approaching AF 15 levels.

$10k, while an aggressive offer, to me is less than what it would fetch at auction currently. Even before the run up, 7.5 would have been a really high grade copy for this book.

Green Lantern is also one of the few crossover characters that also seems to appeal to Marvel collectors. It doesn't hurt that his current book is actually pretty good as well. I think Showcase 22, will have some stagnation on the lower grade copies seeing a post movie drop, but that copies 7.0 and above with superior page quality, no date stamps etc., will see unbelievable price increases.

As for changes in the guide, don't count on that. The data is mostly collected prior to August, and Bob Overstreet has always taken a conservative approach. It took years for GL 76 to move up -- and even then -- it was because of years of record sales, not just one year of multiple sales.

well said...

" ... Congratulations! We're writing to confirm your successful offer in the amount of $850 for SHOWCASE #22, VG/F. The seller has been notified, and will ship the item to ...."

46834 August 11th 2009 $0.00 VOIDED

Title Vol/Iss Grade Qty Price

----- ------- ----- --- -----

------------

ITEM TOTAL: $0.00

Sales Tax: $0.00

Shipping Cost: $0.00

------------

INVOICE TOTAL: $0.00

Payments: $0.00

------------

AMOUNT DUE: $0.00

:(

(shrug)

eBay purchase? If yes, it sucks but I have had this happen before only to see the book relisted and sold at a higher price.

Actually reminds me of the Showcase 4 hysteria back in the 80/90s, when it was suddenly THE DC book to have. Of course, the movie is deal changer here.

Fools - they should have been stockpiling #22 as we all know now. lol

thats almost like saying today "better lock in a HG Showcase 20 or 27, or even 6 or 15 or 17!" Even though GL is a far bigger character, they've all been pretty dead for a long time! How about 37? Another tough first appearance, and roundly unappreciated..

Best post so far (I like this guy!)

agreed. but if one is buying to keep, it feels like a bad time to be chasing the hottest book around, right? Then again, its moving so fast its also irresistible to lock in a copy now while its still rising. I just hope its not a summer fling, After all, its been a major key but sleeping soundly for a long long time. Actually reminds me of the Showcase 4 hysteria back in the 80/90s, when it was suddenly THE DC book to have. Of course, the movie is deal changer here.

Good points. Remains to be seen if it is a fling.

I think we're all happy it's bringing 22s outta the woodworks. A new Boardie posted a copy earlier in this thread with WPs and that's unheard of for a SA DC!

thats almost like saying today "better lock in a HG Showcase 20 or 27, or even 6 or 15 or 17!" Even though GL is a far bigger character, they've all been pretty dead for a long time! How about 37? Another tough first appearance, and roundly unappreciated..

I was just kidding. (thumbs u

Everyone knows that back in the 80s Action #1, Tec #27 or AF #15 were the books to go after. lol

Edited by kimik

I am still kickiig my self that i did not buy Showcase 22-24 from NEATSTUFF.

He and I had a price of 800 for the three of them, but I got cold feet since everybody seems to hate him as a seller.

I think this is the only DC Silver Age Key that I do not yet have and now the price ha$ $kyrocketed

Interesting comment about appealing to Marvel Collectors....because I fall in that category. Now the question is why? hm

I know, but its like. "who knows" which book will get hot next? and more importantly, when?

Whichever book people think they can make money on.

Honestly how many people who are buying all these Showcase 22's actually plan on holding this book for 2+ years ?

Iam also a Marvel guy who likes GL.....I always loved Gil Kane and the GL concept is fairly unique and compelling. I re-read # 8 a while back and the story is still one of my all-time favorites. I would have to agree that there's probably a WHOLE LOT of speculation involved with Showcase 22....but the supply is really not there. It's a dramatic drop off in availability with pre 1960 stuff....Roy and Jerry and Don and Maggie and their contemporaries in the early 60's must have made a profound impact...but it was a few years too early for me to comment on. I jumped on the band wagon in ' 67. I do think 10 K for a 7.5 with nice paper will prove to be a very smart move. The motivation to slab and sell the DC early keys has been there a while....the books just aren't out there in nice shape....and they are mighty cool for those who choose to give them a fair inspection. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u