• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Showcase #22 Club
14 14

7,061 posts in this topic

Keep in mind that pq is page quality not just page color.. The light tan represents page structure and a press might have significantly improved appearance (removed bends in paper, etc) to the point that the book now structurally qualifies for the ow designation...

I get what you're trying to say, and I remember a discussion just recently about this. Do you really think that's the case (apart from "brittle")? Some creases and bends in the paper reflect in the PQ assigned? I always assumed that it's deducted from the numeric grade.

A book with a piece missing out of a white pager would take a PQ hit, instead of a grade hit? That doesn't make sense.

So given the attributes of a particular book, in this case the sc22, a copy with ow or better page designation DOES deserve to have extra weight assigned to it

Probably worded my intial post poorly. I agree that PQ should have some weight to it. Just not near as much as everyone thinks (when it comes to slabbed books), because it's all over the map.

page quality is a combination of visual and structural quality...a. Missing piece would be reflected in the grade but not the quality

page quality is a combination of visual and structural quality...a. Missing piece would be reflected in the grade but not the quality

But a pressed out crease (and, honestly, I don't recall what the interior looks like; had it graded back in '02) could cause a significant PQ bump?

I'm not trying to be dense. I really would like to understand the thought process behind it.

You can lose PQ rating if the pages are creased, but if it's missing a piece than the numeric grade gets hit???

I have a question about Page quality. I have seen many books, especially SA Marvels, where the pages are off white/white but the interior of the covers are tanning. I wonder how CGC looks at this. My guess is the cover tanning decreases the grade but does not affect the page quality but I am not sure.

Any experience with this phenomena ?

I have a question about Page quality. I have seen many books, especially SA Marvels, where the pages are off white/white but the interior of the covers are tanning. I wonder how CGC looks at this. My guess is the cover tanning decreases the grade but does not affect the page quality but I am not sure.

Any experience with this phenomena ?

Based on my submission experience, CGC is stricter in grading with DCs than they are with Marvels. My guess is that it has more to do with the volume of Marvel books they receive relative to DCs.

Edited by kimik

A missing piece does not affect (generally) the color or overall quality of interior paper...but creasing through interior pages that is subsequently pressed out can be reflected in the pq designation

A missing piece does not affect (generally) the color or overall quality of interior paper...but creasing through interior pages that is subsequently pressed out can be reflected in the pq designation

I shouldn't be shocked about anything "new" I learn with regards to this hobby. But, what can I say, I'm shocked (maybe dumbfounded is a better term).

That makes absolutely no sense at all.

I wish I could remember what the interior of the book looked like before I ever submitted it.

For any 50s era DC, especially these Showcase books (Newsboys notwithstanding), C/OW is the norm rather then the exception. In fact the only key book in this Showcase run which Ive found to be mostly available in OW or better is #4, which seems a bit odd to me.

For any 50s era DC, especially these Showcase books (Newsboys notwithstanding), C/OW is the norm rather then the exception. In fact the only key book in this Showcase run which Ive found to be mostly available in OW or better is #4, which seems a bit odd to me.

Even some of the 1960-62 DCs seem to be more common in CR/OW than OW or better. Must have been the difference in paper stock that DC used vs. Marvel?

Pardon me if this seems like bragging (not my intent) but I have a Showcase 23

in CGC 6.0 White. I agree that a White page DC from the early 60's is tough.

As a long time collector(before CGC) I have always sought White pages. Unfortunately White pages doesn't help the CGC grade though I realize it may be a tie breaker on a borderline book. I also have a Brave and Bold 28 in CGC 7.5 White and a JLA 3 in CGC 7.5 White. I love these books but without the technical grade not a lot of value.

I'm glad you guys are so concerned about page quality. Makes my life so much easier. :grin:

But seriously, I'm very satisfied with cream, and I really don't care that much about tan if it's not egregious. These are old paper ephemera for goodness sakes. I like it when they look old!