• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Showcase #22 Club
14 14

7,061 posts in this topic

You did quite well. I had a few down grades with PGX, so my experience with them is not as good. :boo: If one can see the PGX SC22 8.0 on hand...it may build up one's confidence to bid.

..i agree,and someone that knows steve should talk to him about the book..if the book really did go to cgc and was not slabbed because of the overhang,im sure it would be remembered. what im saying is,a high grade showcase 22 not being able to be slabbed would be something steve would remember,since im pretty sure its a rare occurance for that book to show up at cgc and not be slabbable...maybe he could fill in the blanks...

If anyone doesn`t believe the write-up, all they have to do is email or PM Borock. (shrug)

.. thats exactly what i was getting at... i just know some of the boardies have a open/frequent line of communication with him,as opposed to a bunch of us bombarding him with emails,ect...

If I were Steve I would be leery of giving an opinion now for two reasons: 1) He does not have the book in hand and if he is wrong and CGC does turn up micro trimming then his rep takes a hit (which is why I would ask CC to remove that comment if I were him) and 2) He works for the competition now so why should he help CC get a better price?

With all the Boardies feeling uneasy and confused about bidding on it, I think I'll throw a lowball bid on it and maybe steal it... :devil:

You did quite well. I had a few down grades with PGX, so my experience with them is not as good. :boo: If one can see the PGX SC22 8.0 on hand...it may build up one's confidence to bid.

..i agree,and someone that knows steve should talk to him about the book..if the book really did go to cgc and was not slabbed because of the overhang,im sure it would be remembered. what im saying is,a high grade showcase 22 not being able to be slabbed would be something steve would remember,since im pretty sure its a rare occurance for that book to show up at cgc and not be slabbable...maybe he could fill in the blanks...

If anyone doesn`t believe the write-up, all they have to do is email or PM Borock. (shrug)

.. thats exactly what i was getting at... i just know some of the boardies have a open/frequent line of communication with him,as opposed to a bunch of us bombarding him with emails,ect...

If I were Steve I would be leery of giving an opinion now for two reasons: 1) He does not have the book in hand and if he is wrong and CGC does turn up micro trimming then his rep takes a hit (which is why I would ask CC to remove that comment if I were him) and 2) He works for the competition now so why should he help CC get a better price?

With all the Boardies feeling uneasy and confused about bidding on it, I think I'll throw a lowball bid on it and maybe steal it... :devil:

Let's play Russian Roulette. :devil:lol

Edited by showcase22gr1959

If a buyer uses credit card on cc, seller pays 3% extra. I bet the seller doesn't want to take the hit. Two White Mountain Tales to Astonish, both CGC 9.2 with no problems say same thing. Must be an option for sellers.

Seller eats the credit card fees when selling on CC? That sucks! Heritage absorbs those fees for consignors.

Heritage also charges quite a bit more in commissions. Even with the 3%, Heritage gets a bigger cut. That sucks!

yep, my 3 examples were golden age

a MMC 72 was a pgx 8.5, came back cgc 7.5

bought a cap 41 pgx 6.5 came back cgc 6.0

bought a cap 33 pgx 7.5 (I knew this was one "wrong" ) came back 6.0 with slight glue from cgc

if it is indeed non-trimmed,and borock can confirm the story,its my experience that PGX 8.0 = a CGC "higher grade"..i'm just saying...even if cgc cant slab it.. it might be a 9.0 sitting a pgx 8.0 holder...

my experience is just the opposite...have had 3 8.0 or higher pgx books, come back 1 full grade, 1/2 grade and 1 1/2 grades lower when cgc'd (and one had tear seal missed by pgx doh! , but the glue was minor enough still got blue label)

..damn GAtor,that really sucks..and i asume they were golden age books,with that glue comment.ive heard bad things about pgx golden-age grades,but the opposite about silver-age... my experiences are all in the possitive im 6 for 6 on the + side over the last year or so...

pgx 8.0..pressed came back 9.4 WHITE (batman 227)

pgx 8.5 straight sub.. cgc 9.2 (asm #50)

pgx 8.0 press.. cgc 8.5 (hulk 102)

pgx 7.0 straight sub cgc 8.0 white ( ff #48)

and two AVENGERS 57's last year:

pgx 8.0 press came back cgc 9.0

pgx 9.2 straight sub cgc 9.4

but im afraid im due for a donkey one of these times.... :flamed:

well, you can't count pressed, as that typically raises the grade... but, it appears on straight resubs you are 3 for 3...pretty good for you (thumbs u

if it is indeed non-trimmed,and borock can confirm the story,its my experience that PGX 8.0 = a CGC "higher grade"..i'm just saying...even if cgc cant slab it.. it might be a 9.0 sitting a pgx 8.0 holder...

my experience is just the opposite...have had 3 8.0 or higher pgx books, come back 1 full grade, 1/2 grade and 1 1/2 grades lower when cgc'd (and one had tear seal missed by pgx doh! , but the glue was minor enough still got blue label)

..damn GAtor,that really sucks..and i asume they were golden age books,with that glue comment.ive heard bad things about pgx golden-age grades,but the opposite about silver-age... my experiences are all in the possitive im 6 for 6 on the + side over the last year or so...

pgx 8.0..pressed came back 9.4 WHITE (batman 227)

pgx 8.5 straight sub.. cgc 9.2 (asm #50)

pgx 8.0 press.. cgc 8.5 (hulk 102)

pgx 7.0 straight sub cgc 8.0 white ( ff #48)

and two AVENGERS 57's last year:

pgx 8.0 press came back cgc 9.0

pgx 9.2 straight sub cgc 9.4

but im afraid im due for a donkey one of these times.... :flamed:

well, you can't count pressed, as that typically raises the grade... but, it appears on straight resubs you are 3 for 3...pretty good for you (thumbs u

thanks,and yea,i know the press helped those books,an 8.0 to 9.4 is pretty drastic tho,and i just wonder what would have happened if i had pressed the other 3 as well...

I've had only the worst experiences with PGX, mostly ASM's cracked out of PGX blue to end up being what would be CGC green because of coupon clipping...and this is without any notation on the PGX label, but who would expect that. :tonofbricks:

I've had only the worst experiences with PGX, mostly ASM's cracked out of PGX blue to end up being what would be CGC green because of coupon clipping...and this is without any notation on the PGX label, but who would expect that. :tonofbricks:

I have talked to dozens and dozens of collectors, and krypto is the first and only one I have ever herad say they did well buying pgx...

I have talked to dozens and dozens of collectors, and krypto is the first and only one I have ever herad say they did well buying pgx...

thats what ive heard mostly also..and it looks like kimik did even better than me..read a few posts back..now,back to the showcase 22 in question,the post stateing why heritage/steve might not want to disclose if the book was restored or not is a very valid point,along with the fact that heritage is the compitition,and very well could know first hand that that is a higher grade book sitting in a 8.0 holder that cgc couldnt slab... if they bought it,they could "hypothetically" crack it out,and market it as graded "x" grade by former cgc pres,steve borock... i know its all hypothitical,but they could potentially garner "cgc" market value that way at higher grade.... i'll go back to my corner now... ???

Edited by kryptospidey

thats what ive heard mostly also..and it looks like kimik did even better than me..read a few posts back..now,back to the showcase 22 in question,the post stateing why heritage/steve might not want to disclose if the book was restored or not is a very valid point,along with the fact that heritage is the compitition,and very well could know first hand that that is a higher grade book sitting in a 8.0 holder that cgc couldnt slab... if they bought it,they could "hypothetically" crack it out,and market it as graded "x" grade by former cgc pres,steve borock... i know its all hypothitical,but they could potentially garner "cgc" market value that way at higher grade.... i'll go back to my corner now... ???

The difference with my books was that I had originally subbed them/bought them from the OO who subbed them so I knew what I was dealing with. I made out well on the deal, but left $10K+ in profit on the sidelines by choosing quick and cheap via PGX vs. CGC. doh!

Edited by kimik

The difference with my books was that I had originally subbed them/bought them from the OO who subbed them so I knew what I was dealing with. I made out well on the deal, but left $10K+ in profit on the sidelines by choosing quick and cheap via PGX vs. CGC. doh!

It's okay...I make bad decisions too doh! We live and learn from our experiences, so we will improve and better opportunities will arise. Yes, cheap is not always the best route. PGX is cheap...result is cheap prices. CGC can be costly...result is more accurate grading and higher prices. Books under $200 graded by PGX is okay...but for books $500+, I'll stick to CGC. As we well know, the amateur collector tend to focus on the CGC label, but not the book. As a collector myself, I look for the overall eye appeal and page quality when I make my purchase.

Edited by showcase22gr1959

another example of PGX crud... bought a fairly rare book, pgx 5.0 cr/ow...

cgc 4.0 slightly brittle pages :frustrated:

never again!

Rick, was it a GA book? I have noticed that their grading of GA is way off, unfortunately. :sorry:

another example of PGX crud... bought a fairly rare book, pgx 5.0 cr/ow...

cgc 4.0 slightly brittle pages :frustrated:

never again!

Rick, was it a GA book? I have noticed that their grading of GA is way off, unfortunately. :sorry:

im sure it was GA.. sorry to hear about that GAtor...stay away from the Pgx GA...

.... bad combo.