• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Showcase #22 Club
14 14

7,061 posts in this topic

one thing to consider about SC 22 is that, if you are buying as a collector, with long term hold time frame, don't worry about buying one today, or tomorrow, or on the upswing or the downtick... buy a copy you will be happy to enjoy and that you can afford, when it becomes available!

only folks buying for resale should be concerned about the "buy now or buy later" mentality relative to this book (or any)

one thing to consider about SC 22 is that, if you are buying as a collector, with long term hold time frame, don't worry about buying one today, or tomorrow, or on the upswing or the downtick... buy a copy you will be happy to enjoy and that you can afford, when it becomes available!

only folks buying for resale should be concerned about the "buy now or buy later" mentality relative to this book (or any)

Well said. I'm a collector and I bought my copy around 6 years ago. I'm glad I did, because today I could easily pay triple for what I have.

sound advice for sure (thumbs u

I guess that 6.0 for $4500 that didn't sell on ebay, had a chilling effect on prices.

Cooled off until the movie either delivers or damages value I suppose.

The record price so far for a 6.0 is $4500...so it's just not ready for the next level yet. I would hold and wait for a breakout. 2c

If SC #22 follows suit with the other SA keys, then a pullback should happen after the movie is released. The time to buy will be later this year, or even next year, as the collectors and speculators move onto the next book (B&B #28 has sort of calmed down, but it looks like SC #4 is where the speculative money is heading to now ).

In any case, I am waiting a bit longer to rejoin the club. (thumbs u

Your timing has been good, but this one may act differently. Find one SC22 that suits you well...and be long and strong...forget the other keys. :baiting:

A blue 1.0 recently sold for $410.00, so that's a very strong price for a SA 1.0 restored. :applause:

I'm still the very happy owner of that 1.0, can't wait to see the movie! :headbang:

My first copy is a cover less which I still have today. Having and owning a copy of Hal Jordan's first appearance is awesome. :luhv: and salute to the GL movie. :headbang:

Being a collector...there a books which just stay and remain in the collection for a long time. In the long term, the best SA keys has held up well. It's great to sell a duplicate to get something else to enjoy. I agree buy now...or buy later...buy lower...buy higher. Of course, every collector would be happy to buy low and own low.

Being a collector...there a books which just stay and remain in the collection for a long time. In the long term, the best SA keys has held up well. It's great to sell a duplicate to get something else to enjoy. I agree buy now...or buy later...buy lower...buy higher. Of course, every collector would be happy to buy low and own low.

I'm never a big fan of selling my books (as I usually buy a book to keep) but I think many of us would sell of secondary books for a chance at a grail item. Tough to do, but you do what you need. I wouldn't be too sad to add a new copy later on down the road for the right price though :) I do like those Silver Age keys!-)

Hey all!

New to this board am I...I collected comics when I was a bit younger, starting in the mid-1970s and stopped in the early 2000s as they were just becoming too expensive, and the stories just too dark for my tastes anymore. And space issues forced me to unload several boxes a few years ago...but don't worry, I went through them beforehand to pick out what I thought was worth keeping :) .

My main collecting achievement was to acquire a complete run of both the Silver Age Green Lantern and Justice League books until present...well, until I stopped buying as mentioned previously. I still have these of course...most of the early issues were acquired when I was in my early teens whilst scraping together the funds I needed from odd jobs, my allowance, and a paper route :grin: .

With the impending release of the new GL movie, I dug up my older Green Lanterns, and will probably scan some covers. I did scan my copy of Showcase #22 that I acquired for about $60 (if I remember correctly) somewhere around 1980 or so:

Showcase22.jpg

Not sure how to grade these books anymore, but my copy appears to be in OK to reasonable shape...curious what others think. I was looking at my Showcase #23, and it's actually quite a nice copy...remarkably free of defects with very bright colors. I'll try to scan that one soon.

No interest in selling...I intend to pass these onto my young son someday I hope :) , but I am again curious and a still-proud owner of these books.

Also have a complete run of JL including Brave and Bold #28...

Cheers,

Jon

112668.jpg.e1a1d7b94af41dea7b175fd5de8aa892.jpg

Yes, I'd say so...but back when I got this, $60 was a HUGE sum of dough for me and took a lot of work and saving/scrimping to get :grin: .

Of course, that makes the feeling of accomplishment so much stronger as even to this day, some 30 years hence, I take great pride in having these books in my collection.

For perspective, I remember that the Guide priced mint copies of SC#22 at the time at around $200 if memory serves...which was way beyond my ability at the time. But if I had somehow, someway acquired a mint copy back then...well, I'd still keep it for my son :) .

Jon

Not a bad 60 dollar investment. :applause:

I guess that 6.0 for $4500 that didn't sell on ebay, had a chilling effect on prices.

The record price so far for a 6.0 is $4500...so it's just not ready for the next level yet. I would hold and wait for a breakout. 2c

If SC #22 follows suit with the other SA keys, then a pullback should happen after the movie is released. The time to buy will be later this year, or even next year, as the collectors and speculators move onto the next book (B&B #28 has sort of calmed down, but it looks like SC #4 is where the speculative money is heading to now ).

Speaking of BB28, is it the 4th appearance of Hal Jordan after SC24 or does he appear elsewhere before then?

The ''thanks for ignoring my question'' :bump:

Speaking of BB28, is it the 4th appearance of Hal Jordan after SC24 or does he appear elsewhere before then?

Sorry, I believe that would probably be his 4th appearance as far as I know.

That would be the biggest reason to own B&B #28 then, since the JLA is so blase now. (thumbs u

Edited by kimik

Your timing has been good, but this one may act differently. Find one SC22 that suits you well...and be long and strong...forget the other keys. :baiting:

Agreed, but I think the next logical step is GA books, actually. Early SA DCs in high grade used to be fun but there are too many copies of most of them to hold my interest now.

WRT SC #22, as much as we all like the book it will follow the other SA keys that ran up then pulled back after the movie. AF #15 was the exception, not the rule, since Spidey is a top 3 character/property. I think that it will be more like TOS #39, where there was a good run up then a plateau and slow pull back.

B&B 29 also came out before GL1.

Sorry, I believe that would probably be his 4th appearance as far as I know.

That would be the biggest reason to own B&B #28 then, since the JLA is so blase now. (thumbs u

Hey all!

New to this board am I...I collected comics when I was a bit younger, starting in the mid-1970s and stopped in the early 2000s as they were just becoming too expensive, and the stories just too dark for my tastes anymore. And space issues forced me to unload several boxes a few years ago...but don't worry, I went through them beforehand to pick out what I thought was worth keeping :) .

My main collecting achievement was to acquire a complete run of both the Silver Age Green Lantern and Justice League books until present...well, until I stopped buying as mentioned previously. I still have these of course...most of the early issues were acquired when I was in my early teens whilst scraping together the funds I needed from odd jobs, my allowance, and a paper route :grin: .

With the impending release of the new GL movie, I dug up my older Green Lanterns, and will probably scan some covers. I did scan my copy of Showcase #22 that I acquired for about $60 (if I remember correctly) somewhere around 1980 or so:

Showcase22.jpg

Not sure how to grade these books anymore, but my copy appears to be in OK to reasonable shape...curious what others think. I was looking at my Showcase #23, and it's actually quite a nice copy...remarkably free of defects with very bright colors. I'll try to scan that one soon.

No interest in selling...I intend to pass these onto my young son someday I hope :) , but I am again curious and a still-proud owner of these books.

Also have a complete run of JL including Brave and Bold #28...

Cheers,

Jon

Great story and welcome to the boards. (thumbs u I would grade your SC22 a 4.5 but there seem to be color touch or some type of stain on the bottom left corner. Anyways, at $60.00 who can complain. Would love to see your SC23. :luhv:

Edited by showcase22gr1959

Yea, there is that annoying stain...not sure what it was, but it's been there all along (since I got the book). It kind of looks like an ink stain from perhaps a couple of drops of water hitting the area all those years ago...but I am by no means sure of that.

Fortunately, it's pretty small/thin and not excessively noticeable, but it is there and no doubt hurts the books overall condition.

Still, as you say...can't complain for $60 (thumbs u

Jon

p.s. Got 2 free tickets to see the movie tonight at an advance screening! Not sure what to expect as I'm not a big fan of today's "CGI-overkill" movies, but it's free! :grin:

Great story and welcome to the boards. (thumbs u I would grade your SC22 a 4.5 but there seem to be color touch or some type of stain on the bottom left corner. Anyways, at $60.00 who can complain. Would love to see your SC23. :luhv: