• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Showcase #22 Club
13 13

7,061 posts in this topic

Both the wife and I enjoyed it. Saw it in a packed UltraAVX 3D theater and the effects were very impressive. The story had it's moments but was far from perfect. Fun nevertheless!

That's what comics are supposed to be - fun :grin: fun and optimistic.

And considering the ticket sales so far, looks like a few others agree.

Hal Jordan is a great character, especially the current modern version as written by Geoff Johns. That said this movie is a complete flop. :sorry:

:screwy:

you don't like Geoff Johns' writing?

:screwy::screwy:

Not to mention the regular 1960's GL. :screwy:

You misunderstand. Geoff John's is an excellent writer. I love his Flash and GL. Green Lantern is one of the few monthly books I still buy. I just didn't like the movie.

Now that this film is officially a flop, I wonder what the impact will be on this book?

The movie ain't out a day and you ordain it a flop. Man, there sure are a lot of optimists here :P

22 on rotten tomatoes, 40 on metacritic. it's a critical flop. based on midnight screenings, the estimates for opening weekend domestic are $55-60mm. as the noted sage JC stated many years ago, a studio can buy a big opening weekend by flooding the market with advertising. horrible word of mouth will result in domestic BO dropping like a stone. the thing reportedly cost $300mm for production and advertising. Int'l BO will have to be $400mm+ for the movie to break even. i don't think anyone's going out on a limb to call it a flop.

Wait until the final tally before declaring it a flop. Look at the Hangover 2, as an example. It has a low Tomatoes score, but last time I checked it is outdoing Thor and X-Men 1st Class by a long shot.

I bet Green Lantern will do bigger box office than both Thor and X-men First Class each did.

Like I said in another thread, there are a lot of haters for this Green Lantern picture and I don`t know why? hm

maybe because according to 3/4's of the professional movie reviewers, they made a pile of poo

Doesn't matter what the "critics" think. The Hangover 2 and Pirates 4 both had low Tomatoes scores and if GL does close to Pirates 4's box office numbers then Warner Bros will greenlight 2 sequels, not just one. (thumbs u

$53mm opening weekend. won't do $140mm domestic. WB has to pray that initial "very soft international" turns around or they're looking at a $100mm+ loss on this movie.

I've heard they were trying to set up possible follow on films... though if it takes as big a bath as it's projected to take, I wonder if they'll just cut their losses and leave it at one film?

Now that this film is officially a flop, I wonder what the impact will be on this book?

The movie ain't out a day and you ordain it a flop. Man, there sure are a lot of optimists here :P

22 on rotten tomatoes, 40 on metacritic. it's a critical flop. based on midnight screenings, the estimates for opening weekend domestic are $55-60mm. as the noted sage JC stated many years ago, a studio can buy a big opening weekend by flooding the market with advertising. horrible word of mouth will result in domestic BO dropping like a stone. the thing reportedly cost $300mm for production and advertising. Int'l BO will have to be $400mm+ for the movie to break even. i don't think anyone's going out on a limb to call it a flop.

Wait until the final tally before declaring it a flop. Look at the Hangover 2, as an example. It has a low Tomatoes score, but last time I checked it is outdoing Thor and X-Men 1st Class by a long shot.

I bet Green Lantern will do bigger box office than both Thor and X-men First Class each did.

Like I said in another thread, there are a lot of haters for this Green Lantern picture and I don`t know why? hm

maybe because according to 3/4's of the professional movie reviewers, they made a pile of poo

Doesn't matter what the "critics" think. The Hangover 2 and Pirates 4 both had low Tomatoes scores and if GL does close to Pirates 4's box office numbers then Warner Bros will greenlight 2 sequels, not just one. (thumbs u

$53mm opening weekend. won't do $140mm domestic. WB has to pray that initial "very soft international" turns around or they're looking at a $100mm+ loss on this movie.

Really sad,as it was a decent movie. It must be naming a superhero green,as I liked the Green Hornet movie as well and not many other people did. I guess a Green Arrow movie will not be made now. :(

Seriously I heard a lot of people talking about how they are burnt out on superhero movies. This can`t be good news for Captain America,so advice is to sell those Avenger #4 low and mid-grades now. ;)

Edited by ComicConnoisseur

Really sad,as it was a decent movie. It must be naming a superhero green,as I liked the Green Hornet movie as well and not many other people did. I guess a Green Arrow movie will not be made now. :(

Seriously I heard a lot of people talking about how they are burnt out on superhero movies. This can`t be good news for Captain America,so advice is to sell those Avenger #4 low and mid-grades now. ;)

I don't think you can equate the performance of GL with the upcoming Captain America film. First and foremost, Cap is known to be a tie-in with the other Marvel films, and they've been doing really quite well. Second, more people in the mainstream will be familiar with Captain America where as Green Lantern... not so much.

I'm disappointed that Green Lantern is looking like it will turn into a flop as it would due Marvel good to have some healthy competition in the box office, especially with Christopher Nolan wrapping up his work on the Batman franchise.

It will be interesting to see how the GL flick does a week out. If word of mouth is good it will have decent legs as people that were scared away by the initial critics' reviews.

I still can't believe they spent $300 million on it. Was a lot of that marketing? If yes, the marketing team for the flick should be canned (and would be if I was in charge :sumo: ).

As far as the Captain America movie goes, coming out last could hurt it due to viewer fatigue. Mind you, the GL movie will only have two weeks to make any money because the crowds will turn to Transformers 3 next. Too many big films coming out every two weeks could dampen the returns for all of them.

Edited by kimik

I liked the movie! Its far from the fantastic four, daredevil, jonah hex... Dare i say it ghost rider( what were you thinking Nicolas!)

Also i think a lot of people were affraid that it would not be good and it turned out fine so lets hope word of mouth gets out!!!

I Want to see gl2 and beyond, justice league and especially the Flash!

It will be interesting to see how the GL flick does a week out. If word of mouth is good it will have decent legs as people that were scared away by the initial critics' reviews.

I still can't believe they spent $300 million on it. Was a lot of that marketing? If yes, the marketing team for the flick should be canned (and would be if I was in charge :sumo: ).

As far as the Captain America movie goes, coming out last could hurt it due to viewer fatigue. Mind you, the GL movie will only have two weeks to make any money because the crowds will turn to Transformers 3 next. Too many big films coming out every two weeks could dampen the returns for all of them.

and the last Harry Potter film as well. Captain America has much tougher competition then GL has and could do worse than GL box office wise.

Edited by ComicConnoisseur

There's a new 9.0 that's going to be on the census soon.

:shy:

That's all I know other than the fact that it's not mine.

Hal Jordan is a great character, especially the current modern version as written by Geoff Johns. That said this movie is a complete flop. :sorry:

:screwy:

you don't like Geoff Johns' writing?

:screwy::screwy:

Not to mention the regular 1960's GL. :screwy:

You misunderstand. Geoff John's is an excellent writer. I love his Flash and GL. Green Lantern is one of the few monthly books I still buy. I just didn't like the movie.

I see...not your cup of tea. :( Maybe number two. hm

Edited by showcase22gr1959

There's a new 9.0 that's going to be on the census soon.

:shy:

That's all I know other than the fact that it's not mine.

Is this the copy you have mention in the past Roy and do you know the PQ? Thanks.

I know nothing about the book other than that there will be a 9.0 on the census soon.

reported $200M for the film and $125M for marketing.

I would guess that Ryan Reynolds got a nice payday, although probably not as nice as if it turned out to be a major blockbuster.