• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Showcase #22 Club
14 14

7,061 posts in this topic

reported $200M for the film and $125M for marketing.

What a collosal fu ck up on the marketing. $125 million for that campaign? What a joke!

I have not seen the film yet, but reading the reviews it got me wondering if part of the problem with the film was that adding Johns' input made it stray too far from the original Emerald Dawn storyline it was supposed to be based on. While adding Paralax makes sense from the current comic mythos, it might have been much simpler to have just gone with the whole insect alien goop in a yellow suit as the bad guy wanting revenge angle and having Parallax pop up at the end as the lurking yellow/fear weakness. In addition, the Emerald Dawn approach of focusing the beginning on Hal Jordan would have built up the character a bit better than the intro to the GL corps/mythos. This is what made Iron Man work - here is Tony the playboy, he gets abducted and humbled, then he does something about it. The reason I liked Emerald Dawn so much as a kid when I first read it was here is Hal, he lost his Dad so you feel sorry for him, he screws up bad, then gets a chance to redeem himself.

There's a new 9.0 that's going to be on the census soon.

:shy:

That's all I know other than the fact that it's not mine.

Is this the copy you have mention in the past Roy and do you know the PQ? Thanks.

I know nothing about the book other than that there will be a 9.0 on the census soon.

Very nice!

Still no 9.2 or better, though..........

Just posted scans of SC23, SC24, and GL1 to the Green Lantern collecting thread.

Jon

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Great story and welcome to the boards. (thumbs u I would grade your SC22 a 4.5 but there seem to be color touch or some type of stain on the bottom left corner. Anyways, at $60.00 who can complain. Would love to see your SC23. :luhv:

Is this the copy you have mention in the past Roy and do you know the PQ? Thanks.

I know nothing about the book other than that there will be a 9.0 on the census soon.

Very nice!

Roy,

Was this the copy that Rick thought would be a 9.2/9.4?

reported $200M for the film and $125M for marketing.

What a collosal fu ck up on the marketing. $125 million for that campaign? What a joke!

I have not seen the film yet, but reading the reviews it got me wondering if part of the problem with the film was that adding Johns' input made it stray too far from the original Emerald Dawn storyline it was supposed to be based on. While adding Paralax makes sense from the current comic mythos, it might have been much simpler to have just gone with the whole insect alien goop in a yellow suit as the bad guy wanting revenge angle and having Parallax pop up at the end as the lurking yellow/fear weakness. In addition, the Emerald Dawn approach of focusing the beginning on Hal Jordan would have built up the character a bit better than the intro to the GL corps/mythos. This is what made Iron Man work - here is Tony the playboy, he gets abducted and humbled, then he does something about it. The reason I liked Emerald Dawn so much as a kid when I first read it was here is Hal, he lost his Dad so you feel sorry for him, he screws up bad, then gets a chance to redeem himself.

Any fam who sits through this film in 3D is about to leave fully-enterrtained in approx 2 hours, esp the non comic fams.

For us (you) comic nerds, we know what the storyline should be and many feathers have been ruffled because of expectations not met.

Coming from a budget analyst, sounds like DC developed a skyscraper budget with 38% of this being marketing.

Very nice!

Roy,

I know nothing else about the book.

(shrug)

Very nice!

Roy,

this is likely the copy that I bought and sold as a raw 8.0 that was pressed to a 9.0 (before I was really willing to press high dollar books...)...I didn't think it would press higher, but apparently it was pressed again, but I guess it stayed a 9.0 (thumbs u

the 9.2/9.4 is the other copy my friend has...he sold me his "undercopy" 2 years ago, or so, as a vf, and it pressed to a 9.0...his copy was nicer and if pressed and slabbed will hit 9.2 or 9.4 almost assuredly ... this is the same guy that has 25+ copies of af15, 2 of which are definitely 9.0+ candidates...

I am trying to buy one of them :wishluck:

Very nice!

Roy,

this is likely the copy that I bought and sold as a raw 8.0 that was pressed to a 9.0 (before I was really willing to press high dollar books...)...I didn't think it would press higher, but apparently it was pressed again, but I guess it stayed a 9.0 (thumbs u

the 9.2/9.4 is the other copy my friend has...he sold me his "undercopy" 2 years ago, or so, as a vf, and it pressed to a 9.0...his copy was nicer and if pressed and slabbed will hit 9.2 or 9.4 almost assuredly ... this is the same guy that has 25+ copies of af15, 2 of which are definitely 9.0+ candidates...

With all the pressing going on, I guess I need to see if my nine was sqashed !! :wishluck:

Very nice!

Roy,

If this is the new 9.0 copy...perhaps it's THE copy. Maybe you can confirm this new 9.0 if it's in the market place. ;)

I can say that the guy that bought the book from me is well within proximity to philly and did indeed attend the show... however, while I am all about full disclosure, etc, not every one is and I have to respect the owners right to "privacy" which is why I never posted a scan of the book (at his request)...

so, that is as much "speculative confirmation" as I can or will give (thumbs u

I can say that the guy that bought the book from me is well within proximity to philly and did indeed attend the show... however, while I am all about full disclosure, etc, not every one is and I have to respect the owners right to "privacy" which is why I never posted a scan of the book (at his request)...

so, that is as much "speculative confirmation" as I can or will give (thumbs u

That's welcome information and whomever wants to speculate...continue to speculate. :)

Edited by showcase22gr1959

An interesting observation. There are 12 blue label SC22's in 7.0 and I have yet to see another 7.0 in the market place since the last 7.0 sold in late 2009. Nonetheless, another 7.0 is way overdue now for the marketplace.

Edited by showcase22gr1959

another thing to consider is that there are still TONS of SA books in collections that are

1)not graded

2)owners currently have no intention of grading

3)exist in high high grades

my buddy freddy that sold me his under copy, has 25+ af15's (2 that are easy 9.0 and maybe 9.4+ candidates with pressing)...at least 10 asm1's, half dozen ++ of every other key (I bet he has 50+ hulk 181's, most all high grade...dozens of GS xmen and xmen 94, etc), all of which his "personal" copy is at least a 9.0+ of each

and that is just one friend of mine... extrapolate that out and one realizes that silver and bronze really are not "rare", and even in current high graded condition are probably just the tip of the iceberg...

then, throw in pressing potential and one can see why I like to collect Golden age mid grade lol

Nice GA collection Gator. :cool: Definitely books published before the World World 2 paper drive are in the least supply. Bronze age is definitely common...but 9.8's are nice though. lol Well, at least late 50's and early 60's DC are more scarce than early 60's Marvels. The demand for SA is there to meet the supply...time will tell....and the average trend is still up for top SA keys since the inception of the OSPG.

another thing to consider is that there are still TONS of SA books in collections that are

1)not graded

my buddy freddy that sold me his under copy, has 25+ af15's (2 that are easy 9.0 and maybe 9.4+ candidates with pressing)...at least 10 asm1's, half dozen ++ of every other key (I bet he has 50+ hulk 181's, most all high grade...dozens of GS xmen and xmen 94, etc), all of which his "personal" copy is at least a 9.0+ of each

and that is just one friend of mine... extrapolate that out and one realizes that silver and bronze really are not "rare", and even in current high graded condition are probably just the tip of the iceberg...

then, throw in pressing potential and one can see why I like to collect Golden age mid grade lol

What about GA collections, though. Looking at the number of "new" copies of Action #1 and Detective #27 that have surfaced over the past couple of years, there are probably a lot of GA collections lurking in the weeds as well.

In any case, it will be interesting to see how the market holds up over the next decade as more of these collections start to surface as the Boomers begin to retire en masse. Speed dating for seniors will be "How much is your comic collection worth" from now on instead of what is in your investment portfolio! lol

1)not graded

What about GA collections, though. Looking at the number of "new" copies of Action #1 and Detective #27 that have surfaced over the past couple of years, there are probably a lot of GA collections lurking in the weeds as well.

In any case, it will be interesting to see how the market holds up over the next decade as more of these collections start to surface as the Boomers begin to retire en masse. Speed dating for seniors will be "How much is your comic collection worth" from now on instead of what is in your investment portfolio! lol

we will probably be seeing more and more GA too, but this is a SA forum so I limited my response to that era :baiting:

Nice GA collection Gator. :cool: Definitely books published before the World World 2 paper drive are in the least supply. Bronze age is definitely common...but 9.8's are nice though. lol Well, at least late 50's and early 60's DC are more scarce than early 60's Marvels. The demand for SA is there to meet the supply...time will tell....and the average trend is still up for top SA keys since the inception of the OSPG.

the top keys definitely have great demand, but let's not kid ourselves... there is ample supply to meet that demand across all grades, albeit at prices that are cyclical!...now the truly upper echelon, well, we'll see more and more copies comes to market over the years to come and I am sure demand will soak them up, but at what price hm

1)not graded

It`s amazing how most collectors don`t realize how truly rare and scarce most golden age books are,even a comic book like TMNT #1 is not rare or scarce compared to most golden age keepers.

(thumbs u

the top keys definitely have great demand, but let's not kid ourselves... there is ample supply to meet that demand across all grades, albeit at prices that are cyclical!...now the truly upper echelon, well, we'll see more and more copies comes to market over the years to come and I am sure demand will soak them up, but at what price hm

I am starting to get a feel that the movie hype bubble for a lot of these books is about to burst. example for the last 2 to 5 years Avengers,Iron Man,Cap,Thor and Green Lantern have been fueled by upcoming movie hype. Well the movies have come and for the most part are now gone. Sure some people made money short term with them, but now what?

hm

Edited by ComicConnoisseur

I am starting to get a feel that the movie hype bubble for a lot of these books is about to burst. example for the last 2 to 5 years Avengers,Iron Man,Cap,Thor and Green Lantern have been fueled by upcoming movie hype. Well the movies have come and for the most part are now gone. Sure some people made money short term with them, but now what?

hm

Keeping in tune with this thread, Showcase 22 was rare light years before the movie hype started. It has no bubble to burst and it will always be in high demand as long as collectors are breathing.

But we already know this. (thumbs u

Edited by peewee22