• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Showcase #22 Club
13 13

7,061 posts in this topic

I loved the cheer-leading initially about how the new 9.2 has a better spine and corners than any other copy, and then it turns out it's an old 8.5. lol:baiting:

There is a 9.0 that has a better spine and corners IMHO. The funny thing is, you could tell right away that this book had likely been pressed based on the spine and corners........

Edited by kimik

I PM'd Roulette44 to get some details on the events occurring (we already had some PM's in progress).

Hope he's ok... :o

I am sure Joey is fine. While he wont make the killing off it that the buyer did, I am sure he didnt lose money. That is not his style.

Edited by dscott

As I recall, the last 9.0 sold for about $45K and the Keller before that around that too.

i can't see this IHOP special hitting $75k but i'm sure i'll be proven wrong

You could be right, but it's going to be one helluva party for the seller.

yeah, a $40k windfall for a $10 ironing job

This is not good for the hobby. Things like this should not happen.

I really think we should be sensitive to the feelings of the seller. Though not to this extent,

I have been in his position and trust me it makes you sick. He probably doesn't want to talk about it and can you blame him ?

As I recall, the last 9.0 sold for about $45K and the Keller before that around that too.

i can't see this IHOP special hitting $75k but i'm sure i'll be proven wrong

You could be right, but it's going to be one helluva party for the seller.

yeah, a $40k windfall for a $10 ironing job

This is not good for the hobby. Things like this should not happen.

I really think we should be sensitive to the feelings of the seller. Though not to this extent,

I have been in his position and trust me it makes you sick. He probably doesn't want to talk about it and can you blame him ?

I agree, my comments about Joey were all in humor. He knows that. I guarantee you Joey did fine on the sale.

This is another reason I decided to press the DC collection that I recently acquired from the OO in Michigan. Pressing is like "damned if you do and damned if you don't". :preach:

Edited by peewee22

This is a prime example of why I no longer collect HG slabs. This, and many stories similar to this, has happened to me a hundred times over the past 5 years.

I hear you.

All my DC slabs are now 6.0s, middle of the road grades. Things that happen on the front & back end of the grading scale don't normally impact the 6s. lol

I had a chance to trade my SC4 7.5 for Joey's former 8.5, but didn't. I'm happy with my SC4. Though I was tempted just because I love SC22. The 9.2 had fooled me with better wrap and I was just so caught up hoping it was a new copy. As aman619 mentioned, you have to give tremendous credit to the craftsmanship.

Edited by showcase22gr1959

I PM'd Roulette44 to get some details on the events occurring (we already had some PM's in progress).

Hope he's ok... :o

I am sure Joey is fine. While he wont make the killing off it that the buyer did, I am sure he didnt lose money. That is not his style.

Definitely this is the flip of the year.

Helloooooo boys.......

Sorry, has been a hectic week to say the least. I was in Las Vegas monday night/tuesday on business and didn't even have enough time to have fun, took the redeye back to make a meeting in Greensboro, NC on Wednesday and then had to be in Minneapolis yesterday and today. I hadn't been on the boards at all and then had to find this out late last night via text message!

I waited until I heard from the seller before posting anything. He confirmed that yes, this is my old book (his book now :sorry: ) . When he got the book from me, maybe three weeks ago, he decided to send it back in to CGC. He said he thought it could easily get a 9.0 but he didn't expect the 9.2..... what a pleasant surprise, eh?!

I must admit, it does feel a little like a swift kick to the jewels, but "c'est la vie". Atleast i've got a new best friend :):insane:

The book looks super nice and I wish him well, hope he does well with the sale. Will be fun to watch the auction...... I wonder if the timing even matters (the $10-$12M in books sold in the last little while).......Someone should call Ryan Reynolds and tell him about the auction. He'd pay $250K for it :)

And thanks to Brannon, Doug, Brock and all my boardie friends for "worrying" about me........ now if you'll excuse me, i'm going to look for the nearest 10th floor window with faulty brackets holding it in (thumbs u

Helloooooo boys.......

Sorry, has been a hectic week to say the least. I was in Las Vegas monday night/tuesday on business and didn't even have enough time to have fun, took the redeye back to make a meeting in Greensboro, NC on Wednesday and then had to be in Minneapolis yesterday and today. I hadn't been on the boards at all and then had to find this out late last night via text message!

I waited until I heard from the seller before posting anything. He confirmed that yes, this is my old book (his book now :sorry: ) . When he got the book from me, maybe three weeks ago, he decided to send it back in to CGC. He said he thought it could easily get a 9.0 but he didn't expect the 9.2..... what a pleasant surprise, eh?!

I must admit, it does feel a little like a swift kick to the jewels, but "c'est la vie". Atleast i've got a new best friend :):insane:

The book looks super nice and I wish him well, hope he does well with the sale. Will be fun to watch the auction...... I wonder if the timing even matters (the $10-$12M in books sold in the last little while).......Someone should call Ryan Reynolds and tell him about the auction. He'd pay $250K for it :)

And thanks to Brannon, Doug, Brock and all my boardie friends for "worrying" about me........ now if you'll excuse me, i'm going to look for the nearest 10th floor window with faulty brackets holding it in (thumbs u

So no pressing to your knowledge? Just a resub?

By the looks of your grails, no big loss chief ! (thumbs u

Helloooooo boys.......

It's painful looking at the book in your sig line.