• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Showcase #22 Club
13 13

7,061 posts in this topic

Helloooooo boys.......

Sorry, has been a hectic week to say the least. I was in Las Vegas monday night/tuesday on business and didn't even have enough time to have fun, took the redeye back to make a meeting in Greensboro, NC on Wednesday and then had to be in Minneapolis yesterday and today. I hadn't been on the boards at all and then had to find this out late last night via text message!

I waited until I heard from the seller before posting anything. He confirmed that yes, this is my old book (his book now :sorry: ) . When he got the book from me, maybe three weeks ago, he decided to send it back in to CGC. He said he thought it could easily get a 9.0 but he didn't expect the 9.2..... what a pleasant surprise, eh?!

I must admit, it does feel a little like a swift kick to the jewels, but "c'est la vie". Atleast i've got a new best friend :):insane:

The book looks super nice and I wish him well, hope he does well with the sale. Will be fun to watch the auction...... I wonder if the timing even matters (the $10-$12M in books sold in the last little while).......Someone should call Ryan Reynolds and tell him about the auction. He'd pay $250K for it :)

And thanks to Brannon, Doug, Brock and all my boardie friends for "worrying" about me........ now if you'll excuse me, i'm going to look for the nearest 10th floor window with faulty brackets holding it in (thumbs u

So no pressing to your knowledge? Just a resub?

You know the truth to that one.

Helloooooo boys.......

Sorry, has been a hectic week to say the least. I was in Las Vegas monday night/tuesday on business and didn't even have enough time to have fun, took the redeye back to make a meeting in Greensboro, NC on Wednesday and then had to be in Minneapolis yesterday and today. I hadn't been on the boards at all and then had to find this out late last night via text message!

I waited until I heard from the seller before posting anything. He confirmed that yes, this is my old book (his book now :sorry: ) . When he got the book from me, maybe three weeks ago, he decided to send it back in to CGC. He said he thought it could easily get a 9.0 but he didn't expect the 9.2..... what a pleasant surprise, eh?!

I must admit, it does feel a little like a swift kick to the jewels, but "c'est la vie". Atleast i've got a new best friend :):insane:

The book looks super nice and I wish him well, hope he does well with the sale. Will be fun to watch the auction...... I wonder if the timing even matters (the $10-$12M in books sold in the last little while).......Someone should call Ryan Reynolds and tell him about the auction. He'd pay $250K for it :)

And thanks to Brannon, Doug, Brock and all my boardie friends for "worrying" about me........ now if you'll excuse me, i'm going to look for the nearest 10th floor window with faulty brackets holding it in (thumbs u

Thank you for your clarification Joey. You are da-man. From the 9.2 scan the spine and corners looks real clean. I know the top right corner is the breaker. To me, definitely looks 9.0+.

Helloooooo boys.......

Joey, I feel your pain. I sold a huge book in 5.0 that the buyer upgraded to a 6.0 with a press, which gave the book a large price increase. Every time the buyer would post the book it was literally painful for me to see. Eventually I got over it. You win some, you lose some - hopefully you have more wins than losses.

You win some, you lose some.

That is exactly it. Even more so, it's going to continue to happen. It's happened to me many times. You learn to eventually to let it roll off your back. The reality is that you just can't win EVERY time, and if someone else wins, they will come back to buy more another day.

A little meat on the bone makes the world go round. :blush:

That is exactly it. Even more so, it's going to continue to happen. It's happened to me many times. You learn to eventually to let it roll off your back. The reality is that you just can't win EVERY time, and if someone else wins, they will come back to buy more another day.

(thumbs u

I still say this should not happen with such regularity. It is not good for the hobby.

The grade swings lately have been gigantic. In another thread an 8.5 to 9.8 was referenced. Where is the integrity ? Where is the consistency ? Why should a corner with multiple color breaking creases be regarded as an 8.5 one day and a 9.2 on another.

Is this not analogous to the old, pre-CGC 'wild west' days. CGC must have realized they were designating this particular copy of Showcase 22 as the best copy they have ever seen. With such esteem there needs to be more scrutiny. I'm sorry but I do not like the current state of graded comics.

I still say this should not happen with such regularity. It is not good for the hobby.

The grade swings lately have been gigantic. In another thread an 8.5 to 9.8 was referenced. Where is the integrity ? Where is the consistency ? Why should a corner with multiple color breaking creases be regarded as an 8.5 one day and a 9.2 on another.

Is this not analogous to the old, pre-CGC 'wild west' days. CGC must have realized they were designating this particular copy of Showcase 22 as the best copy they have ever seen. With such esteem there needs to be more scrutiny. I'm sorry but I do not like the current state of graded comics.

+1

Well said... And I know many more that feel the same.

+1

Well said... And I know many more that feel the same.

+ 2 I've damn near cracked everything .

(thumbs u

+1. I'll add. I traded stocks quite active before. The key is to have more winning trades than loosing ones. With stocks you have to set aside your emotions and follow trends and technicality. Comics can be emotional too, but at least if you enjoy it...there is more to it.

Why should a corner with multiple color breaking creases be regarded as an 8.5 one day and a 9.2 on another.

You shouldn't be jumping to these sorts of conclusions without a more complete defect inventory on that book.

Why should a corner with multiple color breaking creases be regarded as an 8.5 one day and a 9.2 on another.

You shouldn't be jumping to these sorts of conclusions without a more complete defect inventory on that book.

Please, what 'conclusions' am I jumping to ? The URFC corner creases are clearly visible.

It shouldn't matter what other defects the book had that were fixed, those creases alone should keep the book out of the 9.2 tier. I understand that grading standards can change over the years with certain defects becoming more acceptable but am fearful that these standards are becoming a moving target. I am simply saying consistent grading standards are good for integrity of the hobby.

I bolded the most important part. While this is a nice copy, it is nowhere near the best copy they have "ever" seen. Maybe it is the best copy the current graders have ever seen, but take a look at the Clink 9.0 from a while back and you will see the difference. After pressing this copy is nice, but it is not the best copy that has gone through CGC's hands over the years.........

I bolded the most important part. While this is a nice copy, it is nowhere near the best copy they have "ever" seen. Maybe it is the best copy the current graders have ever seen, but take a look at the Clink 9.0 from a while back and you will see the difference. After pressing this copy is nice, but it is not the best copy that has gone through CGC's hands over the years.........

You raise an interesting point regarding the graders. It's true that they have transitioned

to an almost completely new team of graders. It's a new generation, maybe without the complete set of legacy standards of the previous generation. I'm sure the new graders have been trained well but they don't have the experience to call upon. Not anybody's fault,

it's old school vs new school. Buy old label books !

I have seen both 9.0s and I would bet my youngest son they are both better than the 9.2. That said, this is still a really nice book. Bid on the book and not the label.

I have owned one of those 9.0s and it appeared to be nicer than the 9.2. (thumbs u

But I have not seen the 9.2 up close.

True enough. In my mind there is a 9.4/9.6 in a box or vault out there. It will surface eventually and then all the discussion about this being the best existing copy will be irrelevant.

Did any one see this last month. There is nothing amazing about finding the cards but what was amazing is that they found a 1910 card in a gem mint 10. This stuff exists and until every living person that could have bought a book from a newstand in 1959 is dead I won't start believing that every high grade SC22 has come to light.

http://www.cleveland.com/metro/index.ssf/2012/07/ohio_mans_heirs_find_hundreds.html

True enough. In my mind there is a 9.4/9.6 in a box or vault out there. It will surface eventually and then all the discussion about this being the best existing copy will be irrelevant.

Without a doubt and I am sure there are multiples nicer not even including the discussion of this book not being as nice as the 9.0s which I really don't think it is either. When the Western Penn finally comes out of hiding wake me up, a real reason to get excited as opposed to this "9.2".