• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Terrible news concerning nik.

623 posts in this topic

Sad news indeed...Nik is one of the upstanding and most respected board members as recently illustrated by his hosting of the out-of-towners per the "Comic book buddies trip to Boston" thread. Get well soon Nik, and godspeed for a quick and full recovery! :foryou:

Just a quick primer on strokes for those wondering.

A stroke is an umbrella term for damage that occurs to the brain or part of the brain when it doesn’t get enough oxygen due to lack of blood flow. This can occur due to blockage of a blood vessel, bleeding, or very low blood pressure (e.g. during shock).

About ¾ of strokes are due to a blockage of an artery and most of the rest are due to bleeding. I would assume Nik is suffering from a blockage. Blockages can occur due to rupture of the lining of a blood vessel (like with a heart attack), a clot traveling to the brain from somewhere else (most often the heart), or narrowing of the small blood vessels within the brain from thickening of their walls. Most of these generally involve clot formation to some degree, so that’s where the focus of treatment lies.

If a stroke is from a clot, then you have about a 3 hour window to get therapy that can reduce the damage that occurs. This involves drugs that dissolve the clots. As you might imagine, these can be fairly dangerous to use, so they are used only with great prudence. Unfortunately, many people with a stroke don’t make it in within the 3 hour window from symptom onset, and of those who do, many aren’t able to receive the drugs due to contraindications.

Therefore the primary focus is on prevention of stroke by treating risk factors such as hypertension, smoking, etc.

Once you damage brain tissue, it’s gone. It doesn’t grow back. This is why strokes can be so devastating. Your brain can re-wire a little bit to regain some function, but many are left with permanent disabilities. The degree of disability depends on (a) the location of the stroke in the brain and (b) the amount of brain tissue that was damaged. Larger strokes are even more dangerous as the damage causes inflammation and swelling, which can further the damage and even cause death.

Once a stroke has occurred, the treatment is targeted towards (a) getting you through the initial event, (b) reducing risk factors, © using drugs like aspirin to reduce the risk of clotting, and (d) physical therapy & rehabilitation. PT and rehab can do wonders, but they often take quite some time.

I pray that Nik had a small stroke and that he can recover from this.

Wow, I can't believe the news. Nik has always been a big part of the "glue" that held this online community together. Prior posters who called him a class act hit the nail on the head. He is a good man. I wish him and his family well.

I too am very sad to hear this. I didnt know Nik personally, but from his many posts and sales its obvious hes a great guy who knows how to do things the right way. His reputation on here is nothing less than superb. We exchanged P.M.s a few times, and he was always helpful and straighforward. Hoping you make a full recovery, and my familys prayers are with you.

DRX