• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Infinite Marvel Picture Frame books
23 23

4,794 posts in this topic

Thor #197

Conway

John Buscema/Colletta

Mangog, the embodiment of an entire planet of a billion beings.

By this time, the X-Men was a bimonthly reprint book (no March issue), but the sheer quality and novelty of the books from this month was a joy to read. April continued strong, with first issues of Tomb of Dracula and Marvel Premiere, for starters.

Thor197.jpg

It was a great time to be reading Marvel comics. Here is my set of reader copies of non-reprint books with the March 1972 cover date.

Amazing Adventures #11

Conway

Sutton/Shores

First Furry Beast

AA11.jpg

That is one sweet looking reader.

Nice to see this thread have a renaissance about 7 years after it started. Lots of great books showing up lately.

And Bob, I don't know if the word "reader" means what you think it means.

Well, they're from my reading set. It's nearly 300 books organized by month. The next time I read these comics, I'll go through them one month at a time in order, the way I did when I started reading and collecting regularly some 45 years ago. Marvel did a lot of multi-issue cliffhangers back then, and part of the fun was waiting the month to find out what happened next.

[

Another great copy.

Thanks. It's actually an ebay tragedy. I had been buying easy 9.6 and 9.8 Marvel BA westerns from an ebay seller. They were absolutely mind-boggling. Finally, he threw up a PF. I jumped all over it, along with 4 other books. Of course, he didn't pack this shipment well, and they suffered a pretty severe corner ding. This book survived the best, and I don't think anything will show after a press, but I was pretty angst-ridden about it. I'm pretty sure it would have been a 9.8.