• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Infinite Marvel Picture Frame books
23 23

4,794 posts in this topic

Send me a PM if you really need a copy (I have a slabbed copy, as well).

Show us the slabbed copy, please! You have a 9.8, right?

Yep. Still have the 9.8. My scanner can't handle slabs, though.. I can post the same crappy pic?

There's no such thing as crappy pic of a 9.8 Picture Frame. Especially when it's one of the tougher titles.

I have no 9.8 picture frames :(

:o

The 9.8 square bound Ringo Kid that Barton owns used to be mine.

And it's a beauty.

29174553474_e4f26565a6_b.jpg

Unreal. How is that even possible. And what the hell were you thinking, Greggy?

I don't collect that chit. I collect raw chit and my raw chit is pretty sweet.

Have no fear, the Suscha News pedigree is here.

COTL15cgc.jpg

You gotta love the mini-Spragg dressed in brown next to the logo. :grin:

Now that is an exemplar of production perfection!

That book haunted me for months. It owned my attention many a late night as I wrestled with pulling the acquisition trigger.

The Suscha 9.6 copy is beauty to behold, too. (thumbs u

Send me a PM if you really need a copy (I have a slabbed copy, as well).

Show us the slabbed copy, please! You have a 9.8, right?

Yep. Still have the 9.8. My scanner can't handle slabs, though.. I can post the same crappy pic?

There's no such thing as crappy pic of a 9.8 Picture Frame. Especially when it's one of the tougher titles.

I have no 9.8 picture frames :(

:o

The 9.8 square bound Ringo Kid that Barton owns used to be mine.

And it's a beauty.

29174553474_e4f26565a6_b.jpg

The spine on that book is amazing. The cover appears perfectly centered and squarely bound. Is it even real? :o

So, I just opened a box of books I bought in the early 1990s. I came to two conclusions. First, I had a much better eye then, than I do now. I'm amazed at how nice some of the books I picked then are. Second, the pf books must be harder to come across in HG even when talking about mainstream titles, because most of the pf's I had in the box were no where near as nice as the other books. We'll see if that holds up as I go through boxes.

Here's a few:

CCF11302016_0002_zpshoto5sfp.jpg

CCF11302016_0003_zpsamjvikys.jpg

CCF11302016_zpskfxczlxl.jpg

So, I just opened a box of books I bought in the early 1990s. I came to two conclusions. First, I had a much better eye then, than I do now. I'm amazed at how nice some of the books I picked then are. Second, the pf books must be harder to come across in HG even when talking about mainstream titles, because most of the pf's I had in the box were no where near as nice as the other books. We'll see if that holds up as I go through boxes.

I don't know if the census confirms it, but it always seemed to me that finding sweet books from 1971 to 1973 is harder than some books from 1967 to 1970. I think that was even the case in the pre-CGC days too.

wait--- are you saying you bought a bunch of books in the early 90s and are just now checking them out--- and they look like that?

I've seen the books since then, but yeah. Life kind of gets in the way of enjoying things sometime. I was in grad school in DC in the early 1990s, and after living in Boston and NY my whole life, it was refreshing to be able to buy HG books at less than guide. The economy wasn't doing great, and there were a lot of dealers from just outside the DC area who didn't charge premiums. I would go to shows (esp. the Tyson's Corner show), and essentially try to buy the nicest, most undervalued books I could find. I didn't care if they were a Richie Rich, a SA Brave and Bold, or some grossly undervalued BA books no one cared about. At the time, all of the money was gravitating toward Valiants, so it was easy to pick up deals (if memory serves, the Spidey 114 was from a $3 box, and the Conan was a dollar book, I'm sure the Warlock was a dollar book also).

To Barton's point--I think you are correct, and this box bears this out. In this box, I have Cardy Aquaman's that range from 9.0-9.6, 9.2-9.6 SA Brave and Bolds, and some absolutely killer late SA Marvel King Size Specials that are 9.4s to 9.6s, yet all of my early BA Marvels are probably in the 9.0-9.2 range. The difference is striking, and does not appear to apply to DCs from this period. I'm convinced Marvel books from 71-73 are made on crappy stock, and then add in the solid blocks of color on the pf's, and it's much harder to find truly HG copies.

Edited by underthebigw

Barton, why don't you request ASM 113 to be added? Cap 144 technically doesn't follow the PF format as well, and it's included in the set.

There was a pretty well accepted list in this thread that was compiled by some of the earliest PF fans like George (JiveTurkey). So when I made the registry request way back when, I just sent along that list.

I really don't mind that ASM #113 didn't make the list. I can understand why it didn't. And if it did, ASM #115 should be considered too. If they were slam dunk candidates, it might be worth the request. But since they're borderline examples, I don't think it's can of worms worth opening.

I remember when 30¢ and 35¢ price variants were added to some long-existing sets and suddenly my complete sets weren't complete anymore. Not the end of the world, but I couldn't say I was happy about it.

These NM/M square bounds are really amazing, freaks of nature. (thumbs u

Here's another months' worth of Marvel comics from my picture frame reading collection, this time with April 1972 cover dates. It was another great month to be a comic reader, in the dead of winter.

Amazing Spiderman #107

Lee

Romita

Giaccia

Stan didn't write this title for much longer.

ASM107.jpg

Avengers #98

Thomas

Windsor-Smith

Sal Buscema

Smith's take on the Avengers was fresh - one of the few who could take the reigns from Neal Adams and still pull in readers just for the art.

Avengers98.jpg

Marvel Premiere #1

Thomas

Kane

Adkins

First Warlock (by name, at least), and a cool number one ish. Rascally Roy Thomas was starting to become the main man in the storytelling part of the bullpen.

MPremiere1.jpg