• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Infinite Marvel Picture Frame books
23 23

4,794 posts in this topic

Found this going through some other old ebay purchases:

CCF11252016_zpseparb59q.jpg

Great looking book.

That cover is another example of why the cover is perhaps the single most important page in a comic book.

Hope you don't mind if I use it as a study in composition...

Earlier this year I acquired the preliminary cover to Kid Colt Outlaw #162. I was intrigued by the rough cover layout design by Marie Severin, who worked in the production department doing artwork touch ups, corrections, house ads and drawing or designing covers for Marvel titles during the late 60s and early 70s.

Marie's cover concept for #162 is really quite interesting. It's bold and the action is fierce. The action lines (bullet trajectories) aid in depicting motion and the supporting character elements add to the violent scenery. The Kid figure, however, is somewhat small, unimpressive and doesn't have enough punch. Moreover, the overall scene lacks the power of perspective (sorry, Marie).

Enter Gil Kane, whose final production cover explodes with action and dynamic motion. Kane utilizes Marie's concept but amps up the visual strategy by using a larger body size for the Kid, a leaning posture, exaggerated arm and leg positions, a modified relationship to the ground plane, a startled horse movement, and the overall pictorial perspective trimmed by the picture frame creates a sense of aggressive action and forward moving motion. The cover now has dramatic impact and the Kid appears to be literally running off it!

Anyway, you get the picture (frame). Now who do I give my 20¢ to for a copy?

KCO-162_COMPOSITION-STUDY_1x1.jpg

KCO-162_COMPOSITION-STUDY_2x1.jpg

Some highlights from my latest CGC submission. Special thanks to Joey for all his outstanding work. Always a pleasure to deal with.

Apologize for the huge pics, still getting used to flickr

30951101170_96c6928502_h.jpgih145 by Thomas Drew, on Flickr

30511777233_6aaafa189b_h.jpgim43 by Thomas Drew, on Flickr

31204472721_4138e5a936_b.jpgim44 by Thomas Drew, on Flickr

30511796783_0d1001a14c_h.jpgkco162 by Thomas Drew, on Flickr

31283137106_beeeb008a8_b.jpgmsh33A by Thomas Drew, on Flickr

31204453071_3707266938_h.jpgmsh33B by Thomas Drew, on Flickr

30497347014_2809ff06a1_h.jpgmta4 by Thomas Drew, on Flickr

30951092720_161e0c108a_b.jpgmmw17 by Thomas Drew, on Flickr

30951109520_c3306cc2ef_h.jpgrhk93 by Thomas Drew, on Flickr

31319689015_5811d87841_b.jpgRHK106 by Thomas Drew, on Flickr

31319284695_b493ef3676_b.jpgsme4 by Thomas Drew, on Flickr

Some highlights from my latest CGC submission. Special thanks to Joey for all his outstanding work. Always a pleasure to deal with.

Apologize for the huge pics, still getting used to flickr

That is an amazing batch of books. Esp. the IM.

Earlier this year I acquired the preliminary cover to Kid Colt Outlaw #162. I was intrigued by the rough cover layout design by Marie Severin, who worked in the production department doing artwork touch ups, corrections, house ads and drawing or designing covers for Marvel titles during the late 60s and early 70s.

Marie's cover concept for #162 is really quite interesting. It's bold and the action is fierce. The action lines (bullet trajectories) aid in depicting motion and the supporting character elements add to the violent scenery. The Kid figure, however, is somewhat small, unimpressive and doesn't have enough punch. Moreover, the overall scene lacks the power of perspective (sorry, Marie).

Enter Gil Kane, whose final production cover explodes with action and dynamic motion. Kane utilizes Marie's concept but amps up the visual strategy by using a larger body size for the Kid, a leaning posture, exaggerated arm and leg positions, a modified relationship to the ground plane, a startled horse movement, and the overall pictorial perspective trimmed by the picture frame creates a sense of aggressive action and forward moving motion. The cover now has dramatic impact and the Kid appears to be literally running off it!

I actually like the sketch on the left better.

Send me a PM if you really need a copy (I have a slabbed copy, as well).

Show us the slabbed copy, please! You have a 9.8, right?

Yep. Still have the 9.8. My scanner can't handle slabs, though.. I can post the same crappy pic?

There's no such thing as crappy pic of a 9.8 Picture Frame. Especially when it's one of the tougher titles.

Two bullets are unaccounted for...the shooter must be hidden bu OK's butt... or is someone (Rafael Cruz?) shooting from a grassy knoll?

I actually like the sketch on the left better.

Yep. Still have the 9.8. My scanner can't handle slabs, though.. I can post the same crappy pic?

There's no such thing as crappy pic of a 9.8 Picture Frame. Especially when it's one of the tougher titles.

I have no 9.8 picture frames :(

:o

The 9.8 square bound Ringo Kid that Barton owns used to be mine.

Wow. I think that makes me feel happy.

:jokealert:

Have no fear, the Suscha News pedigree is here.

COTL15cgc.jpg

You gotta love the mini-Spragg dressed in brown next to the logo. :grin:

And it's a beauty.

29174553474_e4f26565a6_b.jpg

Quit buying all that modern carp and maybe you would have some.

And it's a beauty.

29174553474_e4f26565a6_b.jpg

Unreal. How is that even possible. And what the hell were you thinking, Greggy?