• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Infinite Marvel Picture Frame books
23 23

4,794 posts in this topic

Who do you think I am? Greggy?

I don't think I have a single kid title. I know I have some Millies and more romance, but not sure what, and certainly not uber HG.

LK4.jpg

LK4b.jpg

LK5.jpg

LK6.jpg

LK6b.jpg

LK7.jpg

LK7b.jpg

LK8.jpg

LK8b.jpg

LK8c.jpg

LK9.jpg

LK9b.jpg

Nice to see this thread have a renaissance about 7 years after it started. Lots of great books showing up lately.

And Bob, I don't know if the word "reader" means what you think it means.

I cannot believe it's been 7 years.

I hope Nik checks in from above every once in a while and see's these amazing PF's he loved so much.

Thanks everybody for giving this thread legs. :foryou:

Jim

Nice to see this thread have a renaissance about 7 years after it started. Lots of great books showing up lately.

And Bob, I don't know if the word "reader" means what you think it means.

I cannot believe it's been 7 years.

I hope Nik checks in from above every once in a while and see's these amazing PF's he loved so much.

Thanks everybody for giving this thread legs. :foryou:

Jim

Thank you for starting this wonderful thread.

It's been my nostalgic escape and continued motivation for collecting these fascinating timepieces of my youth. (thumbs u

Avengers #97

Thomas

J. Buscema/Palmer

The culmination of the Kree-Skrull war, with a cool cover by Kane and Bill Everett.

Avengers97.jpg

Great Kane Frame, Bob.

IMO, that cover doesn't get the recognition it's due.

Perhaps because it was a fill-in job for a disgruntled artist who left one of the greatest storylines before its climax.

Or maybe because the issue is sandwiched between two enigmatic, fan-favorite artists and their short lived Avengers work.

Whatever the case, it's a creative masterpiece of 3-D action flying from a framed cover composition that brilliantly captures the illusion of dramatic, heroic movement. Powerful and captivating. The perfect newsstand eye-candy.

And to think Kane threw that cover together at the last-minute request of Roy Thomas so as to avoid missing a production deadline. Simply amazing!

:golfclap::applause::golfclap::applause:

Avengers #97

Thomas

J. Buscema/Palmer

The culmination of the Kree-Skrull war, with a cool cover by Kane and Bill Everett.

Avengers97.jpg

Great Kane Frame, Bob.

Perhaps because it was a fill-in job for a disgruntled artist who left one of the greatest storylines before its climax.

Or maybe because the issue is sandwiched between two enigmatic, fan-favorite artists and their short lived Avengers work.

Whatever the case, it's a creative masterpiece of 3-D action flying from a framed cover composition that brilliantly captures the illusion of dramatic, heroic movement. Powerful and captivating. The perfect newsstand eye-candy.

And to think Kane threw that cover together at the last-minute request of Roy Thomas so as to avoid missing a production deadline. Simply amazing!

It's a great cover but was has always bothered me is the red strip in the top of the cover. Looks odd, and there aren't too many others like that. If it was an all black PF, it might be a top fiver.

Anyone with any photoshop skills willing to make the cover all black and show us what might have been?

Jim

It is pretty cool that I think of Nik every time I open this thread. It's one of two or three things that make me think of him (the others are when I remind my kids not to stick their hands in things they shouldn't and tell them about how this truly smart mechanic friend who stuck his hand in his snow blower, and also when I tell the story of when he and I were walking in NYC and I knocked over Mel Brooks)

The thread's a great comic-book tribute to him.

Edited by underthebigw

So, this time of year I have the fortune of making deliveries to several nearby comic shops. I made two such trips this weekend, and both were having sales. One sale was pretty sweet, and the other fantastic. All of the below came from these two shops, some for only a couple of buck.

Just looked at the census--does anyone know why numbers on Doc Savage are so high? I can't imagine it's the print-run, and the dark blue inks should make it somewhat tough. Was there a warehouse find?

CCF11262016_zpsdwejgzsx.jpg

CCF11262016_0001_zpsisq0xwj3.jpg

CCF11262016_0003_zpsjkivyfe2.jpg

CCF11262016_0002_zpskfsqne54.jpg

CCF11262016_0004_zpswokyjsus.jpg

Edited by underthebigw

Avengers #97

Thomas

J. Buscema/Palmer

Avengers97.jpg

Great Kane Frame, Bob.

It's a great cover but was has always bothered me is the red strip in the top of the cover. Looks odd, and there aren't too many others like that. If it was an all black PF, it might be a top fiver.

Anyone with any photoshop skills willing to make the cover all black and show us what might have been?

Jim

Here you go. I tried to do it myself and gave up after about 20 minutes. Then I asked my nephew for help and 3 minutes later he sent me this...

31120937812_a05c60c9f1_o.jpg

Avengers #97

Thomas

J. Buscema/Palmer

Avengers97.jpg

Great Kane Frame, Bob.

Jim

Here you go. I tried to do it myself and gave up after about 20 minutes. Then I asked my nephew for help and 3 minutes later he sent me this...

:golfclap:

Just looked at the census--does anyone know why numbers on Doc Savage are so high? I can't imagine it's the print-run, and the dark blue inks should make it somewhat tough. Was there a warehouse find?

I'd guess because it's a number 1.

Chamber of Chills #1, Combat Kelly #1, Hero for Hire #1, Marvel Premiere #1, Marvel Triple Action #1 are all pretty well represented in the census. Even Night Nurse has 15 copies in 9.6 or better.

Chamber of Chills #1, Combat Kelly #1, Hero for Hire #1, Marvel Premiere #1, Marvel Triple Action #1 are all pretty well represented in the census. Even Night Nurse has 15 copies in 9.6 or better.

By that time in 1972, there were a fair number of people buying multiple copies of first issues, especially any Superhero or Kirby book.

By that time in 1972, there were a fair number of people buying multiple copies of first issues, especially any Superhero or Kirby book.

Yeah, I'm just surprised so many survived in such high grade. It's not as if this book got much respect for the last 40 yrs (ugh, just typing that number makes me wanna puke).

Avengers #97

Thomas

J. Buscema/Palmer

Avengers97.jpg

Great Kane Frame, Bob.

Jim

Barton: That's awesome...thanks so much. My new screen saver :cloud9:

Jim

I've heard that Conan #1 was one of the first books to get the attention of speculators and purchased in large multiples. I'd guess that Iron Man #1 and Sub-Mariner #1 might fall into that category as well, even if they're not actually debut issues.

Avengers #97

Thomas

J. Buscema/Palmer

Avengers97.jpg

Great Kane Frame, Bob.

Jim

Barton: That's awesome...thanks so much. My new screen saver :cloud9:

Jim

Ditto. Nicely done, Barton. Your nephew is hired!