• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Infinite Marvel Picture Frame books
23 23

4,794 posts in this topic

Here from my reader collection is another month of Marvel comics during the picture frame era, this time from August, 1972.  Some of these are copies I bought off the rack back in May and June of my senior year in high school, but at the time I was only buying the major superhero and horror books, and so many others have been acquired secondhand over the years.

My introduction to Kraven the Hunter, as I only started reading and collecting regularly a few months earlier.

ASM111.jpg

AT13.jpg

Being a huge fan of Kirby, at the time I liked Rich Buckler's derivative style.

Avengers102.jpg

Colan handled the DD art at the time.

DD90.jpg

Every month had one or more awesome first issues, as Marvel progressively pumped up their monthly output.

Defenders1.jpg

This one may have to be slabbed.  A reprint, sure, but with cool '50s interior stories and art, and a new Kane cover.

Fear9.jpg

Edited by namisgr

John Buscema did some nice work on the title during this time.

Thor202.jpg

Still another awesome first issue.  Happened seemingly every month.  Kane pencils.

Warlock1.jpg

And the last of the 21 August, 1972 comics in my collection.  The mutants were still sadly reprint only.

X-Men77.jpg

Edited by namisgr

5 hours ago, namisgr said:

Our pal Sal was not among my favorite pencilers of the day, and so I didn't start buying Cap regularly until finally breaking down for the cool stories the following month.

Cap152.jpg

I bet you started missing Sal when Frank Robbins took over the pencilling chores for Cap.

And lots of great books here, Bob!

26 minutes ago, F For Fake said:

Only picked up one picture frame this weekend, but for the price it was pretty nice!

Photo Mar 14, 8 46 52 PM.jpg

Awesome colors and one of my favorite Marvel Monster covers. I love the way the thing's foul green breath drifts right out of the pictureframe and past the logo. Great pickup!

26 minutes ago, Black_Adam said:

Awesome colors and one of my favorite Marvel Monster covers. I love the way the thing's foul green breath drifts right out of the pictureframe and past the logo. Great pickup!

Thanks! And I agree, it's a really striking monster image and great use of the space. Just love these books!

On ‎3‎/‎8‎/‎2017 at 7:59 AM, namisgr said:

This one may have to be slabbed.  A reprint, sure, but with cool '50s interior stories and art, and a new Kane cover.

Fear9.jpg

Great looking book namisgr (thumbsu